PDA

View Full Version : styrofoam

Jaws
04-25-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm setting up a 90G Bow Front and there seems to be about a 1/2" lift between the glass and the stand because the tank sits on the edges of the tank (black trim) instead of the glass bottom. Should I still use styrofoam under the tank in this case or no? Thanks for your help.

Brent F
04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
The rule I was told is put foam under the glass if the glass rests on the stand but do not use foam if the bottom glass floats (has a space between the bottom glass and the stand).

The black trim tanks with the raised bottom glass don't need foam under them.

Aquattro
04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Jason, I've always used something under it just to absorb any imperfections in the stand.

fkshiu
04-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm setting up a 90G Bow Front and there seems to be about a 1/2" lift between the glass and the stand because the tank sits on the edges of the tank (black trim) instead of the glass bottom. Should I still use styrofoam under the tank in this case or no? Thanks for your help.

1/2"???? That's a lot! No styrofoam in the world will come close to correcting that. Fix your stand.

Aquattro
04-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I think he means the height difference between the rim and the bottom.

lastlight
04-25-2008, 06:09 PM
I think foam would be a bad idea.

You'd have foam pressing on the glass and also on the rim...possibly seperating rim from glass.

Aquattro
04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Typically people put carpet, insulating foam or some other mildly compressible material under the tank. This just gives an even surface for the frame to sit on. I've seen tanks without it which are still full of water, but I've always used something. Right now I have a really thick type of underlay under mine.
styrofoam would probably be too "puffy" and compress too much. Dunno, nevr used it.

Jason, go to HD and get some of that blue or pink 1/2" foam, works great. Or don't, but we don't want another crack, right? :)

Brent F
04-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Since the frame of the tank supports the bottom any foam in the centre wouldn't touch the glass. If you do use a foam it would only need to go around the outer edge since the bottom glass won't be touching it.

I'd be concerned that the framed tank would break away the edges of a styrofoam put under it since all the weight would be on the edge of the foam.

If you do decide to use a foam, I'd use a closed cell foam and wouldn't use anything thicker than a 1/4 inch (1/8 would be a better choice).

Pier Pressure
04-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I had a 150 gallon blow up on me twice in eleven months. Consequently sold all my freshwater. I did not have anything between the tank and stand and it appeared to be flush - and I was informed that if I would have had something between the tank and stand it would have voided the warranty. I ended up getting my money back, but be sure to check your warranty. Tank and stand were matching and appeared to be completely tight to each other, and the stand was tight to a stone tile floor. Just FYI.

fkshiu
04-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I had a tank crack WITH a piece of foam in between stand and tank.

Doug
04-25-2008, 10:23 PM
I always used foam under my custom made no frame tanks, so the glass sat on the foam. I have never and would not use it under my framed standard 90g AGA. I would check on voiding warranty or not, if using foam under a similar aquarium.