PDA

View Full Version : Best test kits

Aquanut
03-25-2008, 10:00 PM
In your opinion, what is the best brand of test kit?

wetcoast
03-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I use Hagen for Ammonia and Nitrate, and Salifert for Calcium, Magnesium, Alk, and Phosphate. Seems to do the trick for me.

Jason McK
03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Salifert and Elos (IMO)
J

mark
03-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Not sure of accuracy but been going back and forward between Salifert and Elos due availability. Prefer Salifert for use.

ferret
03-26-2008, 12:04 AM
I prefer Elos then Salifert and API is one of my favour but not listed

dareefguy
03-26-2008, 08:42 AM
My vote goes to salifert, but I also have not tried elos or master.

justinl
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
A while back I would have said salifert because it is a bit chearper than elos, but ever since that big sorta fiasco with salifert, my faith in their kits has been shaken.

Pan
03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
A while back I would have said salifert because it is a bit chearper than elos, but ever since that big sorta fiasco with salifert, my faith in their kits has been shaken.
Yeah..thats why i grabbed all my elos kits...well one api but i needed a kit and it was all i could find last minute.

Keri
03-29-2008, 04:12 AM
I use API, for amm, ph, trate, trite and instant ocean for ca and Alk....but I have nothing to compare it too. I'd like to bring some water into J&L next time for testing to see if my params are really as good as they say they are.

kwirky
04-01-2008, 05:13 AM
i like salifert's nitrate kit. for everything else I like elos. for ammonia I use API because I find it goes low enough. I only test ammonia when quarantining anyways.

bv_reefer
04-16-2008, 12:08 AM
1/2 hagen and 1/2 salifert, i think i might switch to all salifert though, there simpler imo

Doug
05-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Just tried my Elos test kits I recieved with my last JL order. Seem ok, but never impressed me much. Salifert seems just as good, if not better. Alk. reads the same. Calcium reads almost 3ppm lower than my Salifert. What I did not like on the calcium is the colour switch. It starts changing blue, then back, then blue again, then back, and so on. I dont like the endpoint as much as Salifert.

Fine test kits but unless it impresses me more by the time I reach the end of the kit, I will stay with Salifert. So will reserve judgement until then. :lol:

Lance
05-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I like Salifert and API because of their ease of use.

BMW Rider
05-04-2008, 02:37 AM
I've only ever used Hagen and Salifert, and the Salifert are better by far. I've not tried the Elos, so based on that I can't vote for them, but they appear to be good.

Doug
05-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Just tried my Elos test kits I recieved with my last JL order. Seem ok, but never impressed me much. Salifert seems just as good, if not better. Alk. reads the same. Calcium reads almost 3ppm lower than my Salifert. What I did not like on the calcium is the colour switch. It starts changing blue, then back, then blue again, then back, and so on. I dont like the endpoint as much as Salifert.

Fine test kits but unless it impresses me more by the time I reach the end of the kit, I will stay with Salifert. So will reserve judgement until then. :lol:

Oh great. :sad: . Now they are on sale, a few days later.

Jeff_
05-05-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm half half Elos and Salifert but I like the elos they are quite simple to understand and use

Pan
05-05-2008, 03:22 AM
Martini test kits are nice...I wouldn't spend that kind of money on them. I have a friend who did, very very nice...but he makes about 550,000 a year more than me :( I guess not technically a "test kit" but kinda ? :)
There is Lamotte...(tried once and friends again) i have heard some good things about...Saw an instant ocean calcium test kit today...never noticed it before. Didn't buy it though.

imisky
05-06-2008, 11:26 PM
API isnt an option in there??:razz:

WarDog
02-14-2015, 01:25 AM
2008? This needs an update... just my opinion, sorry.

Aquattro
02-14-2015, 03:22 AM
2008? This needs an update... just my opinion, sorry.

I know at work, if anyone comes up with an idea, it's generally that person that gets to do the thing :) So....lol

WarDog
02-14-2015, 05:45 AM
Thanks for updating it Brad, I dropped the ball. Actually I was on date night, and the wife threatened divorce if I didn't put away Fishbook. So yeah... that.

Aquattro
02-14-2015, 05:47 AM
Seems stats have changed. With Elos being hard to buy, they've really taken a dive in the poll

WarDog
02-14-2015, 06:08 AM
Seems stats have changed. With Elos being hard to buy, they've really taken a dive in the poll

I was told, by someone who shall remain anonymous, that Salifert were just as accurate as Elos, but more cost effective. At this point, why would I pay shipping for an extra little bit of accuracy? No offense to those who swear by Elos.

Aquattro
02-14-2015, 06:14 AM
I was told, by someone who shall remain anonymous, that Salifert were just as accurate as Elos, but more cost effective. At this point, why would I pay shipping for an extra little bit of accuracy? No offense to those who swear by Elos.

Truth be told, I think they're equal. I prefer the Elos box :) alk is easier to use, rest are about the same, Mg is tougher. But nicer boxes lol
I ordered some stuff from Reefsupplies, and figured I'd get my annual supply. I would have no concerns using Salifert tho

WarDog
02-14-2015, 06:20 AM
You are right... Elos got dem sexy boxes!

Perhaps if I got Elos instead, my wife wouldn't have asked if 'those boxes' are going to sit next to the tank forever?

Aquattro
02-14-2015, 06:22 AM
You are right... Elos got dem sexy boxes!

Perhaps if I got Elos instead, my wife wouldn't have asked if 'those boxes' are going to sit next to the tank forever?

Mine are in the kitchen on top of my coffee maker, no comments from wife. I chose the right boxes lol

WarDog
02-14-2015, 06:24 AM
lol

ALBERTA REEF
02-15-2015, 03:23 PM
I used Elos when I started the hobby. Found the test kits easy to use. I haven't tried any others. I also like the Hanna PO4 tester.

Myka
02-15-2015, 03:44 PM
I gave up on Salifert for calcium and alkalinity a long time ago. When I buy a new kit, I always test twice with the old kit, twice with the new kit. Salifert Calcium was off by 60-80 ppm from itself, not once, but twice when I made the new kit swap out. The old kit being well within expiry. For alkalinity, Salifert reads about 2 dKH higher than Elos, API, and Hanna. So I gave up on that one too.

I recently bought a Salifert Calcium kit because I couldn't get Elos ordered in. It reads 60 ppm higher than the Elos. Argh...I hate test kits.

Aquattro
02-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Mine are in the kitchen on top of my coffee maker, no comments from wife. I chose the right boxes lol

Warren, here's the best. My wife bought be a decorative basket to put them in for on top of the coffee maker :)

Aquattro
02-15-2015, 04:20 PM
I gave up on Salifert for calcium and alkalinity a long time ago. When I buy a new kit, I always test twice with the old kit, twice with the new kit. Salifert Calcium was off by 60-80 ppm from itself, not once, but twice when I made the new kit swap out. The old kit being well within expiry. For alkalinity, Salifert reads about 2 dKH higher than Elos, API, and Hanna. So I gave up on that one too.

I recently bought a Salifert Calcium kit because I couldn't get Elos ordered in. It reads 60 ppm higher than the Elos. Argh...I hate test kits.

This was a common report a while back, which was the catalyst in me switching to Elos. I've been happy with them, so stuck with the brand.

Myka
02-15-2015, 04:35 PM
This was a common report a while back, which was the catalyst in me switching to Elos. I've been happy with them, so stuck with the brand.

Yeah, I've never ordered from Reef Supplies before (I buy locally about 95%), but I think I might just to get Elos.

I like the Hanna Alkalinity Checker, but the battery dies quickly, so I have to pack batteries around. I use up a pack of tests every 8 weeks or so. I'm starting to get old on it too. :lol: Maybe Elos all the way again. :D

Aquattro
02-15-2015, 04:40 PM
I buy all my supplies on Boxing day, so I have kits, carbon, additives, etc once a year. I have lots of kits :)
Once my tank is somewhat mature and stable, I usually stop testing other than quarterly or if something seems off. My kits often expire. lol

Myka
02-15-2015, 04:45 PM
My kits often expire. lol

Mine don't. I test clients' tanks weekly. I'm very efficient at it these days. :razz:

Aquattro
02-15-2015, 04:51 PM
I just replaced my Salifert NO3 kit. It expired 2008. :)

Myka
02-15-2015, 04:52 PM
I just replaced my Salifert NO3 kit. It expired 2008. :)

Haha, I did the same thing a couple years ago. I think mine was 2005 expired, but I was still using it. Surprisingly, it was still accurate. Their NO3 kit is pretty good - that's the one I use.

WarDog
02-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Warren, here's the best. My wife bought be a decorative basket to put them in for on top of the coffee maker :)

Wow, does she have a sister? Lol.

Mine don't. I test clients' tanks weekly. I'm very efficient at it these days. :razz:

So I guess you no longer need to read the instructions every time? Lol.

Myka
02-15-2015, 08:30 PM
So I guess you no longer need to read the instructions every time? Lol.

:lol: I usually skim the directions every time just because I'm easily distracted (Squirrel!), and will forget which test I'm doing. :o

FishyFishy!
02-16-2015, 02:47 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the red sea pro test kits?