PDA

View Full Version : PH Monitoring

landshark
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
How much does it change?

Tom R
03-17-2008, 10:47 PM
I use a ProfiLux controller take a reading of my PH every hour. The ProfiLux then produces a graph that shows me that for the last month my PH troughout the day goes from a low of 7.95 with the lights off to a high of 8.20 with the lights on.

Tom R

danny zubot
03-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't check mine in routine, but I do notice that it goes from about 8.1 to 8.4 thoughout the day.

rocketlily
03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I have a Pinpoint monitor, so I check it every time I walk by it.

Joe Reefer
03-25-2008, 02:22 PM
I also have a pinpoint monitor and check it walking by, it goes from 7.9 to 8.2 most days. If my alk is in check it will stay a little tighter 8.0 to 8.1.

Aquattro
03-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I used to have pH problems all the time, until the day I threw my meter away. Everything has been fine since. I find the important thing is healthy fish and corals, not a value on a meter. Regular water changes, and routine tests of Ca and Alk keeps everything stable, I don't feel pH is a required parameter unless something is visibly out of whack.

mark
03-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Don't routinely monitor pH either but something maybe to keep an eye on if starting up a Ca reactor.

wetcoast
03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
When I'm not working - my 3rd monitor is acting as a HUD for all my reef parameters that I monitor with my controller. If I don't run a calcium reactor, My pH stays fairly "regular". When there are windows open in the house, it shoots up to 8.2 as you can see. It's a bit obsessive, but like I said, something to look at when not working.

http://www.wetcoast.ca/images/reef/phtank.png

jasond
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I rarely check mine. I do have a one of those hand held electronic testers, and if I am feeling ambitious I will take a look. It is usually around 8.1/8.2. When I get a controller I imagine I will keep a closer eye on it, but otherwise I have no reason as everything seems to be healthy.

michika
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I wish there was an option to choose both. I test both in the morning and the evening once a week. I see very little swing in my pH if any since my refugium runs on a reverse photo period. I generally see 8.1 for all readings, maybe 8.0.

cprowler
03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I have a Pinpoint monitor, so I check it every time I walk by it.

Dido

Tom R
03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I have 2 PH probes.

The first is in my sump and controls my system PH and the second is mounted in my calcium reactor and controls my CO2.

Both probes are controlled by my ProfiLux controller and it constantly reads the probes and reports their status every 3 hours (this can be adjusted to as often as you want).

Tom R

Borderjumper
03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I used to have pH problems all the time, until the day I threw my meter away. Everything has been fine since. I find the important thing is healthy fish and corals, not a value on a meter. Regular water changes, and routine tests of Ca and Alk keeps everything stable, I don't feel pH is a required parameter unless something is visibly out of whack.

LOL I did the same thing, and it really did solve my problem! My tanks like to run at 7.8. No matter how much I bump up my PH with chemicals it is always down to 7.8 the next day. Soooooo I dont check it anymore and its all good!

christyf5
03-25-2008, 07:52 PM

I'm with Brad on this one. My Aquatronica measures pH all the time. When I first got it I freaked out some about it because it never goes above 7.6. The tank seems fine so I just ignore it (plus no matter what I try it always goes back to 7.6).

untamed
03-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Anyone who answered the poll as "it never changes" has probably not measured it accurately enough to see what is actually happening. There is a 24 cycle based on the lighting and it is VERY unusual to find a way to hold pH steady throughout the 24hrs.

Here's a challenge...someone show me a 24hr graph with hourly readings of their tank pH that stays flat.

As for what to do about it. As mentioned, the answer is "don't worry about it".

Jason McK
03-25-2008, 09:09 PM
I do not monitor my Tank PH but do monitor my Effluent of my CA Reactor

J

Joe Reefer
03-25-2008, 09:10 PM
The answer is "not at all" as in I dont check it.

Lance
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
I seldom check, but when I do: 7.9 (morning) to 8.3 (evening)

PoonTang
03-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Your supposed to check it?????