PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor in Calgary

michika
03-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I've been unable to find a vet who will prescribe Interceptor for me for use in QT. I've visited a pile of vets and called even more. Its been suggested that I call the Calgary Zoo!

At best people keep saying they need to come out and see my tank, and see the red bugs. People just aren't understanding that I use it as a preventative measure against Red Bugs. I'm not sure where else I should go, or who to contact about this?

So how do people get interceptor in Calgary?

langdon reefer
03-05-2008, 04:08 PM
:smile: Ill Talk to my vet out here and see what i can do for you small country town maybe i will have some luck...lol

KrazyKuch
03-05-2008, 04:34 PM

michika
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Thank you.

I called my old vet in Edmonton, but she is on mat. leave indefinitely. So no luck there. I never truely realized how incrediably hard it is to find a reef-friendly vet.

Sorry the above post was me...

Delphinus
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Haha, been there, got the t-shirt. :)

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21932&

BMW Rider was able to get some from these folks.

Happy hunting!

Phanman
03-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey Cathrine,

I'll try ask a few friends with dogs if they can get some for their vets. If you do find some i would also like to grab some too if you dont mind picking me up some.

Cheers,

michika
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I have dogs and I've already contacted both my vet in Calgary and my previous vet in Edmonton.

I think I spoke to all the same vets as Tony did in his thread, and got the same responses. After calling back my vet, he says that he would be more then happy to come out and do an in-home consultation, and then he would consider writing a script for it. I was advised today that a prescription is required for it. I suppose my next step is to amass a collection of literature and photos about red bugs for the next time I visit with my vet.

I previously got my prescriptions from Mill Creek Animal Hospital in Edmonton. They were fantastic about it, all they ever asked for was information about my system, size, etc.

hillbillyreefer
03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm positive I can get you some. Let me know and I'll pick some up next time I go to town.

Delphinus
03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I think your best bet is to try to get ahold of the Steve guy from North Vet Hospital (contact info is in the thread). He's at least seen the documentation now that Ed (BMW Rider) showed him all that, so presumably all you need to show him now is proof that you have red bugs.

Basically what it comes down to, I don't think we can legally acquire Interceptor anymore without proof that we already have red bugs. In my case I wanted to get some for "just in case I do get them one day", in that situation it's basically hopeless.

Even 1-800-Petmeds won't ship the stuff without a faxed in prescription .. unless they forget to ask for it or something. :neutral:

michika
03-05-2008, 08:35 PM
I've already contacted NVH, with no luck. The thing that really gets me is that I assume most people use Interceptor as a preventative measure, yet you can't get it without having Red Bugs. Sounds like our healthcare system, treat the illness when it pops up, don't bother trying to prevent it.

I'm exploring some other avenues right now. I hope one of them works out. On average I used to go through a box every 6 months, depending on fast I aquired colonies and frags. 2-3 boxes a year is all I need.

Delphinus
03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
So, wait, what, now THEY'RE jumping on the "We don't want to help you" bandwagon? What the hell? Or, they'll only dispense it if you can PROVE you have red bugs?

I wish there was a vet on the board.

I understand they feel the need to protect themselves from liability, but this is ridiculous. Why not sign a waiver that says "I will only use this for aquarium use and I promise not to sue."

michika
03-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Agreed. I am more then willing to sign a waiver. I just want to be parpared and be able to quarentine my tank. I'm just trying to do what is right for my tank, and be a responsible reefkeeper.

I just received a call back from the Calgary Zoo, since they have no reef set ups or anyone with this kind of experience they forwarded me onto the Vancouver Aquarium. From there I spoke with three people, all of which who are aware of the problem of Red Bugs, but only one was a vet. The downside was that this particular vet is only licensed in B.C. and not Alberta. Sadly this person is also new to Canada, and says he currently has no connections in Alberta.

The recommendation was for me to keep assembling information, literature, pictures, etc. on the problem and continue to visit vets or contact them. I'm going to try and create a document or a binder of literature to present to my Calgary vet. At least he seems most willing to help in some way. I am going to try and speak with him again later today. Maybe I can drop off the literature and references and then he would be more willing to go forwards with this.

Short of this not working, I am probably going to try and buy red bug infected SPS and keep it in my QT cube tank. At least then I can show someone physical evidence, and I can avoid infesting my display system.

Delphinus
03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, here's a dumb question. A lot of what I've read about Interceptor is that it is (at least sometimes) prescribed as a preventative step against heartworms. So, you should be able to get a 'script if your dog doesn't already have heartworms... just be at risk for heartworms? Is that a geographically based risk? Ie., only southern, warmer states or something? Or could it be anywhere? What's stopping us from talking to our dog or cat vets and saying "Hey, I'm really concerned about heartworms. I'm really, REALLY concerned about heartworms. What steps can I take to ensure my pet won't get them?" Or are they vaccinated against this sort of thing (I honestly don't remember what multitude of things the yearly shots cover..)

ElGuappo
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
why is this so hard to get is it a Narcotic or something? i have no idea what this is but after reading this thrread i guesss it a med for getting rid of nussence bugs.

Phanman
03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
See thats what i was thinking Tony.. just go there and be like im concerned about my dog having heart worms and heard there is a product like interceptor that would help my beloved dog from every getting it. Now ill need 6 packs of it please, lol.

mark
03-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Did a drop in, asked a local vet, showed a copy of printouts and got no problem (other than the ~$80 for six large dog pills). Have you done the face to face?

michika
03-06-2008, 04:10 AM
I've done 6ish face to faces here in Calgary, all no goes. Our Edmonton vet never had any problems prescribing, all I ever had to do was provide some literature and details about my set up.

I found a single box of interceptor that I purchased just before I moved, but its half gone already. :( Although there are still a couple more places for me to look into, so there is still hope.

Snappy
03-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Did a drop in, asked a local vet, showed a copy of printouts and got no problem (other than the ~$80 for six large dog pills). Have you done the face to face?
That is pretty expensive.

ElGuappo
03-06-2008, 04:38 PM
has anyoone been following the "what do you do for a living" thread ?

Just noticed a couple of people who work in a vet just left posts this might be a good way for you guys to get in touch with someone who would be willing to answer some questions and such.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-06-2008, 05:41 PM
TomR has some extra Interceptor pills that he's looking to sell. PM him.

michika
03-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Thank you!

mark
03-06-2008, 10:54 PM
That is pretty expensive.

I was expecting about 1/2 the price

langdon reefer
03-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Catherine im sorry i failed you the vets out here say we cant my vet even looked in to takeing the lable off to sell it but if they got caught they would be in BIG trouble im sorry i failed you .......:sad:

michika
03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Its no problem, I appreciate the effort.

I forgot to mention I was able to get a refill of my prescription, as a one time thing from my local vet.

EmilyB
03-07-2008, 05:59 AM
I was going to suggest the exotics vet at Calgary North. Haven't ever had any interaction with him, but he was recommended to me at one point by the scuba diving vet who retired.

michika
03-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I tried him, he was actually recommended to me by my vet. His office staff in turn told me to call the exotic bird clinic (I didn't see the connection/point) who then passed me off to the Calgary Zoo, and it just went on and on from there.