PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining a Wrasse

Palster
01-12-2008, 04:28 PM
I have had several Ich outbreaks over the years after introducing new fish and as a result I almost always quarantine any new introductions. I plan to introduce a Banana Wrasse (Thalassoma lutescens) to my FOWLR aquarium after quarantining it. I know these fish like to have a sand bed to burrow in at night but what I am concerned about is how this fish will be able to cope in a bare bottom quarantine tank. Should I be concerned about leaving this fish in a quarantine tank with no substrate for the quarantine period and will doing so cause this fish unnecessary stress and possibly its demise?

Canuckgod420
01-12-2008, 06:10 PM
I had two of those fish a while ago in my wifes tank. It was bare bottom and i tell you the fish where not happy. They rarely swam around, just kept hiding, and they looked really uncomfortable in the tank. Once we added a sand bed it was a world of difference, they swam around freely, they ate like crazy, really nice fish.

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I AGREE...THEY NEED SAND TO BE HAPPY... HOW LONG DO YOU QUARANTINE YOUR FISH AND DOES YOUR QUARANTINE TANK HAVE A UV STERILIZER ON IT. I FIND THIS TO BE AN EFFECTIVE WAY OF KEEPING MARINE ICH OUTBREAKS IN CHECK BEFORE I INTRODUCE A NEW FISH TO MY REEF TANK.:biggrin:

VFX
01-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I AGREE...THEY NEED SAND TO BE HAPPY... HOW LONG DO YOU QUARANTINE YOUR FISH AND DOES YOUR QUARANTINE TANK HAVE A UV STERILIZER ON IT. I FIND THIS TO BE AN EFFECTIVE WAY OF KEEPING MARINE ICH OUTBREAKS IN CHECK BEFORE I INTRODUCE A NEW FISH TO MY REEF TANK.:biggrin:

Hey your capslock seems stuck on today :wink:

or are you just in a shouty mood lol :biggrin:

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 07:18 PM
At work...Forgot:mrgreen:

Palster
01-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I usually quarantine for about a month. A UV sterilizer is one of the things I plan on adding but have not done so yet. The display tank that this fish will ultimately be going into will have a sandy bottom.

dsaundry
01-12-2008, 07:58 PM
I would suggest a Uv sterilizer for you quarantine tank. One month to 6 weeks is what I quarantine mine for as well...:biggrin:

mark
01-12-2008, 09:39 PM
When I was smart and QT'd, would go BB with a bunch of PVC fittings and pipe pieces for hiding places as was easiest for keeping the tank clean from waste and uneaten food.

Though never QT a wrasse, would suggest the same but if looking like isn't doing well, could try a container such as a ice cream pail 1/2 full of sand.

Palster
01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Though never QT a wrasse, would suggest the same but if looking like isn't doing well, could try a container such as a ice cream pail 1/2 full of sand.

I like the idea of placing a pail with sand in it in the tank. Thanks for the sound advice.