PDA

View Full Version : where to go

nats
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone,
I live here in Victoria. I am wanting to start my first reef tank. I am taking my time and doing my research. I am now ready to buy my tank and get started. My problem is this. I have called 5 stores some Victoria and some on the mainland, and nobody wants to give me prices or help. I dont understand it! Any advice would be appreciated

Redrover
01-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I would try Hidden Reef in Abbotsford..." Free Shipping "
Phone : 604 856 1433:onfire:

christyf5
01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone,
I live here in Victoria. I am wanting to start my first reef tank. I am taking my time and doing my research. I am now ready to buy my tank and get started. My problem is this. I have called 5 stores some Victoria and some on the mainland, and nobody wants to give me prices or help. I dont understand it! Any advice would be appreciated

Well for the help part we can certainly take care of that if you're trying to decide on what to get (if you want non store type help :wink:). Try some of the stores online to get ideas of prices.

www.oceanaquatics.com (http://www.oceanaquatics.com)

www.jlaquatics.com (http://www.jlaquatics.com)

www.hiddenreef.com (http://www.hiddenreef.com)

all are online and are based in the lower mainland.

There is also a store in Duncan where they have great customer service and Scott or Brad will certainly help you out with any questions you have. Its called Island Pet Zone.

scumchug
01-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah, what she said. IPZ ( Island Pet Zone) in Duncan is pretty good. The boys there will go out of there way to give you all the help and advise you will need. You can expect to pay about the same as the mainland. If they don't have what you want, they will get it reasonably quick.

Cameron
01-08-2008, 01:28 AM
For Island stores IPZ will match Vancouver prices. Other than that most stores in Victoria are grossly overpriced, they claim it is the cost of shipping and rent, though most Vancouver stores will ship to our stores here free and have higher rent. So take it as you will. Len at Hillside aquatics was very helpful to me when I was starting. TAKE IT SLOW.....you will hear it a lot, and you will go fast everyone does because it is exciting....but you will lose some things because of going to fast.

I travel to Vancouver at least once a month and pick up most of my supplies there. I deal with Scott @ Island Pet Zone(he will meet you in Victoria to drop off to!), Phil & Jeff @ JL Aquatics, Wendell @ Ocean Aquatics, and Mike @ Hidden Reef.

If you have any questions please just post up or PM.

nats
01-08-2008, 02:13 AM
thanks for the tips everyone. I talked with a store in Vancouver and they were very helpful. I will call island petzone tommorrow to see if they can give me the same kind of pricing. I am going to have a ro system installed before I buy the tank. I like the 72 gallon all glass bow front. Is there anyone in the victoria area that would be willing to help me set it up. I would pay of course.
thanks

Cameron
01-08-2008, 06:00 AM
I'll help out and even donate a frag(fragment) of kenya tree to you. RonD is also very helpful with local reefers. There is a victoria site www.tgvas.com they do have some strict rules though, but it is a good group.

JoelV
02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
:biggrin:

PoonTang
02-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi everyone,

If you want to same some real money then buy a complete system from someone here on the board who is getting out. You'll save thousands.

nats
02-18-2008, 12:34 AM
I have been waiting but not too many people here on the island are wanting to sell a complete system. I went to a local store and they are saying around 4200.00 plus taxes to start up a 90 gal with live rock.:

CLINT
02-18-2008, 12:39 AM
best to find someone with a whole system that they are looking to get rid of.It will save you a lot of money and as long as you are patient you'll find something your looking for.Clint

Aquattro
02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I have been waiting but not too many people here on the island are wanting to sell a complete system. I went to a local store and they are saying around 4200.00 plus taxes to start up a 90 gal with live rock.:

depending on the type of setup you want, you should be able to do a 90 anywhere from 1600 - 3000, buying all new stuff. Most of what you need can be found used though...
Rock is cheaper to have it shipped from Van, just under $5/lb shipped. Salt can be bought locally for the same price as Van. Lights can get pricey, depends on what you want. Lots on here used though. Sumps can be found cheap, or make your own. The tank and stand new can be a lot, but shopping around for price will get you a good deal.
J&L or OA can ship most dry goods quite a bit cheaper than local, but you can haggle with the stores here once you know what the mainland price is.

nats
02-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for that information. I am ready to start my tank but I am hesitating because I am not sure what equipment to buy and the initial start up like plumbing kind of worries me. The only advice I get is from the store selling the equipment. I would realy like a equipment list from folks here. I plan to keep an asortment of corals, clams and some fish. I want a 90 gallon reef ready tank and I plan to purchase 250w mh coralife lights. I do go to the mainland on a regular basis and I have a van.

PoonTang
02-18-2008, 08:39 PM
.... I do go to the mainland on a regular basis and I have a van.

Then get a used system from someone on the mainland. There are lots that coma available.
BTW I have full system available but is a 72 gallon. Same size as a 90g but 4 inche less tall. Custom stand/sump etc.
PM me if interested.

Megs
03-08-2008, 04:47 PM
if you browse usedvictoria the occasional good deal on a whole set-up comes along, but with used set-ups its better if you know something about the equiptment so you dont end up with crappy stuff or stuff you dont need, though you could always post on here for advice :) or tgvas.com as someone else mentioned