PDA

View Full Version : CUC with Porcupine Puffer??

banditpowdercoat
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Wife and Daughter have been lookin at vids on Youtube of Porc Puffers adn now they reaaaaallllllly want one for our fowler tank. I however, am wanting crustacean's like Scarlet hermits, Narcissus snails, Sexy shrimp, cleaner shrimp etc. Was also thinking mated pair of Clowns, Fairy Basslet, Watchman Goby and maybe a Yellow longnose butterflyfish.

But, I am wondering how the CUC would fair with the Puffer? I assume that he's have a smorgasboard with them. Wife keeps givin me the puppydog eyes though

justinl
01-07-2008, 05:38 PM
most cuc would be toast in a tank with a porky. no shrimp, hermits and most snails. Something like a conch should be fine, brittle stars might be okay... maybe. You could also try large turbo snails. i doubt an urchin would fare well, but it might be worth a shot.

Nicole8ca
01-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I have a porcupine puffer with 3 cleaner shrimp, a fire shrimp, 2 blue hermit crabs, 5 turbo snails and 5 bumble bee snails. They've been in the same tank for about 3 weeks with no issues. I count them everyday just to check but they are all still there. Maybe it's just a matter of time but the puffer is really quite a loner and keeps to himself.

There was one day where the puffer picked up one of the bumble bee snails but that's as far as it went.

Chaloupa
01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
My Porcupine was small and he still "tasted" everything that moved...snails, starfish, hermits...you name it...he ate whatever he could fit in his mouth...or crunched it up so it would fit....!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-08-2008, 12:48 AM
My wife's Poofie loves to snack on shore crabs so any hermits or shrimp would be toast eventually. For a clean up crew, I have a sandsifting star (had to temporarily take it out for a while earlier because the cowfish were sampling its legs) and conchs. They do a good job now of keeping the 120g fowlr's sand nice and clean.

bubblepuffer
01-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I got all kind of invert in the tank with my Porcupine, clowns, tangs and also Stars and Stripes puffer and all leaving as a happy family together.. The puffer only interested on the frozen Shrimp that I feed him with