PDA

View Full Version : instant cycling ?

asherah
01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I read about this sand that stated it could instantly copmplete the ammonia cycle How would this e possiale if at all
Has ayone tried this ?

aslo why would reef ceramics shorten the cycle period ? do you still hae to add lie rock ?

Myka
01-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Not possible. Don't use any of those ceramics or bioballs, etc they create a nitrate factory in SW aquariums.

A cycle generally takes 4-6 weeks, and really is the shortest and easiest stage in your tank's development. It will take another 8-18 months for your tank to mature and establish. Don't rush the cycle. Don't buy the gimmicks. Sit back, wait, plan, and enjoy what is coming to life in front of you. :)

asherah
01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
That's what I thought =) thanks alot
asherah

Myka
01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
No problem. :)

Johnny Reefer
01-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Don't know about the sand you refer to, but IME there is such a thing as instant cycle. I've set up a marine tank 4 times and each time the CURED Live Rock rendered no cycle whatsoever. There is enough Nitrate in the LR already to deal with any ammonia, thus no ammonia spike.

Kabong
01-02-2008, 02:40 AM
I'll Back Mark up on what he said.
When you use cured rock or even rock thats started into the cycle. There's a large enough bacteria population, That once its taked out of the overly filled store tank and placed into your tank with fresh clean water theres little to no cycle.

Myka
01-02-2008, 02:58 AM
I've always had at least a bit of a cycle even from "cured" rock. There is always die-off when it travels out of the water from the store to your house. I suppose if you brought buckets of water with you and kept them submerged this wouldn't happen. The shortest cycle I ever had with "cured" rock was about 2 1/2 weeks when Ammonia and Nitrite finally reached 0. A cycle includes Nitrite, not just Ammonia.

fkshiu
01-02-2008, 03:18 AM
The best way to ensure an "instant" cycle is to buy your LR first and have it bubbling away in the dark in a heated rubbermaid tub for several weeks while you go off and collect the rest of your equipment - the longer the better. This way by the time you're ready to start the tank any necessary cycling is already done plus you have the added bonus of ridding yourself of a lot of nuisance algae and crap that was trapped in the rock.

Myka
01-02-2008, 03:25 AM
The best way to ensure an "instant" cycle is to buy your LR first and have it bubbling away in the dark in a heated rubbermaid tub for several weeks while you go off and collect the rest of your equipment - the longer the better. This way by the time you're ready to start the tank any necessary cycling is already done plus you have the added bonus of ridding yourself of a lot of nuisance algae and crap that was trapped in the rock.

Bingo! But you can't really call that instant cycling. ;) That is just called "curing" your rocks, but the difference between curing at home and curing at the store is that there is only a few seconds they are out of water when they are transfered at home from the bin to your tank. They mis the road trip from the store to the tank. :) This is what I do with my rock.

Johnny Reefer
01-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Don't know about the sand you refer to, but IME there is such a thing as instant cycle. I've set up a marine tank 4 times and each time the CURED Live Rock rendered no cycle whatsoever. There is enough Nitrate in the LR already to deal with any ammonia, thus no ammonia spike.
Not saying anybody's right or wrong here. Just saying...IME there is such a thing as instant cycle. And IME the rock was transported out of water, in buckets and totes. Ammonia was never zero (never is in any aquarium), just never got a spike. With ammonia comes nitrites, of course, but minimal as well and proportional. Just goes without saying.
Again, IME.

asherah
01-02-2008, 03:44 AM
sweet thanks for the advice =) I'm going to have to buy a few large rubbermaid containers I think =p

so when you put the then cured rock into the tank is it safe to then start slowly stocking ?
or it is still advised to wait and do tests ?

Brent F
01-02-2008, 03:54 AM
sweet thanks for the advice =) I'm going to have to buy a few large rubbermaid containers I think =p

so when you put the then cured rock into the tank is it safe to then start slowly stocking ?

Test - it's beter to be safe and make sure you are throught the ammonia cycle than it is to lose stock
________
marijuana strain strawberry cough (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough)

Pan
01-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Oh and reef ceramics are quite nice...if you like that sort of thing.
http://www.captiveoceans.com/ReefCeramics.htm
there are other locations as well....just a hint as to what they look like.

Myka
01-02-2008, 05:38 AM

If you're going to cycle the rocks in rubbermaids, then I would suggest you wait about a week before you start to stock (go slow and light) just to make sure everything is functioning properly, temp is where you want it and stable, and sand is settled (this can take a week on its own). In that time I would test every second day for ammonia and nitrites. If both stay at 0 for the whole week, then I would test nitrates at the end of the week and as long as they are below 10 I would say you're safe to start stocking. If you get ANY ammonia or nitrite, then I would wait longer. I like to wait at least one week of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite before I feel it's safe to say the cycle is over. JMHO.

Brent F
01-02-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm missing something. What's the advantage of cycling the rock in a Rubbermaid tub verses doing it in the display tank?
________
Honda RC172 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RC172)

albert_dao
01-02-2008, 05:46 AM
You can "cook" rocks in remote containers more easily.

fishoholic
01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm missing something. What's the advantage of cycling the rock in a Rubbermaid tub verses doing it in the display tank?

Easier to clean up the gunk that comes off the rock in a rubbermaid then to have it in the display. Plus you can catch any unwanted critters easier too.

fkshiu
01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Having rocks in a rubbermaid puts them in complete darkness. This will help kill off anything photosythetic such as nuisance algaes.

Secondly, you'll have a much easier time removing the crud that the rock will slough off. This crud contributes to increased phosphates and nitrates which, in turn, feeds nuisance algaes. If you change the water out of the rubbermaid on a regular basis, you are denying the algae its food source.

The whole process repeated over the course of several weeks or months is known as "cooking" rock. This is opposed to simply "curing" the rock which only involves cycling the rock through an ammonia spike. Cooking is a much longer and more labourious process, but it can achieve much more than curing. Cooking is not necessary with a new tank and "fresh" live rock from an LFS, but can be a last resort to someone fighting a never ending battle with algae, cyano, etc.

If you've purchased "old" live rock some someone getting out of the hobby, you often find yourself dealing with very poorly maintained live rock full of crud and crap and covered with various types of undesirable algae. In fact, you just may have bought the reason why the seller gave up the hobby in the first place!

Some people take even more extreme steps such as lowering/increasing both the salinity and temperature of the cooking rock to further dissuade algae from returning.

Again, cooking is not required for a new live rock, but simply having new live rock in a dark container for a few weeks before putting it into the display is always helpful as it pretty much ensures that you don't have to stare at an empty tank and you won't get started on the wrong foot.

Myka
01-03-2008, 03:29 AM
^ Good post!

Oh and reef ceramics are quite nice...if you like that sort of thing.
http://www.captiveoceans.com/ReefCeramics.htm
there are other locations as well....just a hint as to what they look like.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I thought she was talking about those ceramic rings and stars and crap that they put in filters for biological filtration. LOL!