PDA

View Full Version : Boxing day sales what everyone had hoped?

Pan
12-26-2007, 08:54 PM
If my tank had been fully setup i might have done a few things from wheres the reef, possibly J&L and would have stopped by a few stores in calgary. But alas after finally getting time off work and with christmas finally being over i figured sleep was worth the money i would save. I've come to not have a lot of faith in the boxing day sales. In person is usually better than online. Ie golds has a discount on euro reef skimmers while nothing at J&L. But no bashing each has there great points. Anyone get that once in a lifetime...er year deal? something they want to show off?
now to get a tank thread stared one day...maybe that will make me get my tank upo for the next boxing day sale.

Matt
12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
If my tank had been fully setup i might have done a few things from wheres the reef, possibly J&L and would have stopped by a few stores in calgary. But alas after finally getting time off work and with christmas finally being over i figured sleep was worth the money i would save. I've come to not have a lot of faith in the boxing day sales. In person is usually better than online. Ie golds has a discount on euro reef skimmers while nothing at J&L. But no bashing each has there great points. Anyone get that once in a lifetime...er year deal? something they want to show off?
now to get a tank thread stared one day...maybe that will make me get my tank upo for the next boxing day sale.OA had a break on ER skimmers, and I bought one (RS80). I also bought some stuff from JL. All stuff I was buying anyway, so any savings are good savings. I also stopped in at BA's... killer prices on some tanks, but not much for me that was worth the long lineups.

albert_dao
12-26-2007, 09:00 PM
20% off Sunlight Supply fixtures seems like quite a deal to me :D

Edmonton Eskimo
12-26-2007, 09:02 PM
The stuff I ordered at JandL(thanx Matt) came to 340 bucks and with sale prices the total was 270. That's good savings on stuff I needed anyways-well I didn't need all of it:) I went to big al's and got a pail of salt for 30 bucks which is dirt cheap. I also picked up a nice acro colony as well. I find the boxing day sales are pretty decent especially on certain items such as salt,tanks and livestock.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Not reef-related, but I went to Future Shop today and it was MADNESS. There were some things I wanted (and some great deals), but I couldn't handle the mayhem!

Pan
12-26-2007, 09:20 PM
20% off Sunlight Supply fixtures seems like quite a deal to me :D

Yes it is Albert...sorry :(

I was in sort of tunnel vision when looking for what I wanted, specifically a pump, 20 bucks of at J&L was not worth getting up, plus if i really wish the sale is on for another day, but would prefer local...well a little local :) hint hint
What brands of salt do you carry? I was thinking of using RBS but i don't have a calcium reactor...nor do i think i want to at the moment. I have not been reef shopping in quite awhile.

EDIT: SORRY ALBERT forgot i asked about the pumps in another post :( BTW great deal.

Pan
12-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Not reef-related, but I went to Future Shop today and it was MADNESS. There were some things I wanted (and some great deals), but I couldn't handle the mayhem!

Yeah a friend wanted me to go in to calgary with him when he bought his ps3 (eb-games had a sale i think) I said you go buy yours i will sit here and play mnine. Why i have a ps3 i'll never know, i've played it three times. But gifts are gifts. Future shop and best buy etc has their boxing dale sales for a week so go on saturday get same savings no bloody people.

jasond
12-26-2007, 09:40 PM
I did a J&L order as well....not huge savings, but definately saved some $ on things I wanted anyways. I imagine there will be local sales all week long on the common stuff, salt etc, and missing the lineups is key for me!:biggrin:

mark
12-26-2007, 09:48 PM
All I went looking for was non-reef and no savings on Wii accessories.

Drove past a huge (50+) lineup out front of a FutureShop at 2:00pm image inside must be a zoo. Hope there was something for the people, if not at least the weathers nice for standing in line.

Brent F
12-26-2007, 10:00 PM

Future Shop's sale started 5:00 on the 24th online. I bought everything I wanted on the 25th at the sale price including some "door crashers". Sure beats the crush of buying in the store - same price without the crowds.

Go online and you can buy the stuff at home or wait until tomorrow evening and get it without the lineup.
________
cheap easy vape vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

JOEL
12-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I was happy with everyones sales. I did a little shopping all over J&L, OA, Big Als,and blue world.

Pan
12-26-2007, 11:23 PM
blue world?

digital-audiophile
12-26-2007, 11:47 PM
I did pick up a bag of sand and a sailfin tang from Elite :) Alas, nothing I wnted at Golds and I didn't feel like going to the other staores as I had my Parents in tow. (They are in visiting for the holidays from Quallicum Beach)

mark
12-27-2007, 12:10 AM
blue world?

Blueworld (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36809&highlight=blue+world)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Visited J&L 3 times, BA once & King Ed's twice.

Ended up with livestock:

lg. green Blasto merletti
lg. red with orange rim Blasto wellsi
lg. blue-green Scolymia donut
lg. green Pearl bubble

2 feather dusters

1 Flameback angel
1 Royal gramma
1 Lubbock's wrasse
1 Mandarin goby
2 Yellow anthias (female squarespot)

Swack of supplies for the rest of the year:

3 Chemipure
1000 ml Rowapos
10lb ARM coarse
3 FD Lg Krill
4 Maxijet 1200
7 buckets of salt (mostly for friends)
1 Mysis flat
4 Suregrip 50s

& a Pinpoint PH monitor for my Ca reactor.

Anthony

fishoholic
12-27-2007, 01:13 AM
We went to blue world and bought our emperor angel and lots of salt from big als for $30 and some sand.

Pan
12-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Blueworld (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36809&highlight=blue+world)

oops :-) i guess i never caught the actual name.

Pan
12-27-2007, 02:22 AM
We went to blue world and bought our emperor angel and lots of salt from big als for $30 and some sand.

I was going to get some of the salt online, but I really dislike IO. I have had problems with it, most likely rectified now but burned once is enough.

Pan
12-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Visited J&L 3 times, BA once & King Ed's twice.

Ended up with livestock:

lg. green Blasto merletti
lg. red with orange rim Blasto wellsi
lg. blue-green Scolomia donut
lg. green Pearl bubble

2 feather dusters

1 Flameback angel
1 Royal gramma
1 Lubbock's wrasse
1 Mandarine goby

Swack of supplies for the rest of the year & a Pinpoint PH monitor for my Ca reactor.

Anthony

I can beat that list....I bought...well it was only in my head...I really need to get my tank going. I am interested in seeing the Reefkeeper 3..er reefkeeper elite though. Supposed to be quite spiffy when released.

mildcustom2
12-27-2007, 05:20 AM
So I made the suggestion to my wife who is completely in love with our
new 210 gallon reef tank that we go to J&L and pick up some fish for the new tank that has been running for a week. Now this could have been a good thing. Pick up a couple fish maybe one or two corals for the tank. Instead it was very, very bad. And below is a list of the end result.

20 green chromis
1 flame angel
3 lyretail anthias
4 banggai cardinals
1 mandarin goby
2 purple firefish
3 yellow tangs
1 six line wrasse
2 sexy shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
1 maxima clam
1 orange monti digitata
1 green monti digitata
1 green star polyps
1 yellow leather

Total damage after 30% off

482.79$

I should point out at this point that the tank was seeded with arag alive from carib sea, already matured media in my FB 900 fluidized bed filter and I am using a large canister filter from another tank I am renovating that has been running for god knows how long. So hopefully bio shock will be low.

Lesson learned : Next year think twice befor bringing my wife shopping with me for fish. As she tends to want to go overboard just a little or maybe alot, you be the judge.

My tank is listed in the tank journal if any one wants to look.

Thanx

Sean

Canadian
12-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Wow, 35 fish in a one week old 210 gallon tank all at once hey? But you used AragAlive, fluidized bed filter media and a canister filter from an old tank so everything is spiffy . . .

I suggest you and your wife flip a coin next Boxing Day before you walk into a LFS. The winner of the coin flip gets to be the responsible one. You could call that person the "Designated Buyer" - friends don't let friends drop 35 fish in a week old 210 gallon tank.

Now lemme go climb down from my soap box.

fkshiu
12-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Gee, I'd keep my fingers crossed for the madarin and the maxima. That's a heck of a lot of bioload to be adding all at once regardless of how well seeded your media already was.

As for myself, I went for a couple of big boys toys: Tunze multicontroller and a 6055 nanostream (and a Phosban reactor thrown in for good measure) - over $500 gone.

Then I picked up the wife and it was her turn to go nuts - another $1,000 for a new stove and various other items leaving me even poorer than when I started.

Salmon King
12-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Man the boxing day sale at my house was just madness,I know I said no barttering but couldnt help my self.They said I cant afford that Ausie corral.So I said damit slash that price to myself .And I said to myself they are good people so it okay Rob do it.Sorry to the people that didnt get the free coffee because I ran out coffee cream sugar and no more clean cups.Parking was hectic and drove my brother nuts because they kept parking in his spot and he kept coming down and telling me .I dont know if I can quit this hobby as today was so much fun,Would like to this next year as I had so much fun saying do you see that coral trying to hide from you.( Get him before he hides again

Salmon King
12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
As for the guy that put all the fish in his 235gal.Look at me in 6 months I went from a 33 gal. with 2 mushrooms and no fish to a 135 loaded with coral and fish and the only thing I tested was my ph.No matter what if it works what the heck dont try and fix it.Please post the out come of your 30 new fish.You are a very brave man for posting that.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-27-2007, 01:45 PM

This photo doesn't do it justice. I felt like I was on the subway in Seoul during rush hour (something I *have* experienced!):

http://x42.xanga.com/85ac577a34535165386814/b124985554.jpg

saltaddict
12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
We are well on our way to transferring everything over to our 230g, we plan on adding everything from our 2 smaller tanks to the big one in the next couple of days :biggrin: so as long as Sean's 210g is cycled, and hopefully he has cured LR going in, he should be fine. Oops I posted this under saltaddict instead of fishoholic :redface:

untamed
12-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Was anyone at JL Aquatics on Boxing Day? If so, can you recall what the deals were on any salt? I missed it, and I want to know for future years what it costs me when I'm not available to go to that sale.

If it is a lot, I may have to hire someone to purchase for me next year.

jasond
12-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Well had to stop by a couple of the shops today. Managed to get a nice piece of sun coral, couple awesome pieces of LR (fiji) and a goby. On top of my J&L order I am done. Dropped over $300, thats good for now!

So much for no shopping this week! Glad to hear everyone got stocked up!

Jason

mildcustom2
12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
So I seem to be recieving a little bit of critisism for adding 35 fish to my tank at once. Guess everyones entitled to their oppinion, big thanks to those who realize that the rules can always be bent and manipulated to your desires something that I have learned with expierence. It wasn't my plan to do this as when me and my wife went to J&L I had made a list for her and a list for me to give to the employees in the fish room as soon as we got in. A divide and conquer plan wich came in handy considering the large amount of people that showed up in the morning. Unfortunately my wife didn't stick to just the list and I probably didn't either. Can't pass up a good deal now can I.

So heres an update on how everything is doing. Everyone has settled into the tank now and all is going well except for one bangaii cardinal that didn't look so good from the moment he went into the tank. Ended up getting a burial at sea via the toilet. Not too bad all things considered. Clam is doing good and the mandarin is hunting amongst the rock. One yellow tang has been singled out and being picked on but this is to be expected with yellow tangs. I am considering moving him to another tank for the time being.

Now onto the water quality. Ammonia levels 0, Nitrite levels 0, Nitrate levels increasing just a little but nothing out of the ordinary. I believe the low ammonia levels and nitrite levels could be attributed to the fully matured Life guard FB 900 fluidized bed filter. Wich is rated for a 900 gallon fully stocked tank. If anyone is planning on a tank that is heavily stocked with fish I would reccomend a fluidized bed filter as they do not take long to become established and they are very quick to react to a large increase in bio load. I have been using them for 10 years now.

I will post further updates either in this thread or my tank journal thread that I plan on updating with pics soon.

Thanx

Sean

Pan
12-28-2007, 08:28 PM
So I seem to be recieving a little bit of critisism for adding 35 fish to my tank at once. Guess everyones entitled to their oppinion, big thanks to those who realize that the rules can always be bent and manipulated to your desires something that I have learned with expierence. It wasn't my plan to do this as when me and my wife went to J&L I had made a list for her and a list for me to give to the employees in the fish room as soon as we got in. A divide and conquer plan wich came in handy considering the large amount of people that showed up in the morning. Unfortunately my wife didn't stick to just the list and I probably didn't either. Can't pass up a good deal now can I.

So heres an update on how everything is doing. Everyone has settled into the tank now and all is going well except for one bangaii cardinal that didn't look so good from the moment he went into the tank. Ended up getting a burial at sea via the toilet. Not too bad all things considered. Clam is doing good and the mandarin is hunting amongst the rock. One yellow tang has been singled out and being picked on but this is to be expected with yellow tangs. I am considering moving him to another tank for the time being.

Now onto the water quality. Ammonia levels 0, Nitrite levels 0, Nitrate levels increasing just a little but nothing out of the ordinary. I believe the low ammonia levels and nitrite levels could be attributed to the fully matured Life guard FB 900 fluidized bed filter. Wich is rated for a 900 gallon fully stocked tank. If anyone is planning on a tank that is heavily stocked with fish I would reccomend a fluidized bed filter as they do not take long to become established and they are very quick to react to a large increase in bio load. I have been using them for 10 years now.

I will post further updates either in this thread or my tank journal thread that I plan on updating with pics soon.

Thanx

Sean

Yes pictures would be nice. And well i wouldn't do it (35 fish at once) your right rules can be bent, most people spout off second and third hand info as gospel never actually seeing if it is in fact truth they are spouing or garbage. If you look at the large reef tanks forum on reefcentral you notice that many people with big tanks put many fish in at once with no ill effects. I don't think most people realized what your Fluidized bed filter was capable of though. As a note i wouldn't do the 35 fish at once because i cannot afford 35 fish at once... :)

Snappy
12-29-2007, 07:05 AM
On Boxing day I made the rounds to 5 of the stores and bought at 3, stocked up on some salt, bought a pair of Bangai's and this acro:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/dec207029boxingdayscore.jpg

Pan
12-29-2007, 08:25 AM
On Boxing day I made the rounds to 5 of the stores and bought at 3, stocked up on some salt, bought a pair of Bangai's and this acro:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/dec207029boxingdayscore.jpg

Nice...what store may i ask? very very nice color.