PDA

View Full Version : Best Salt??

dsaundry
12-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Is there a general opinion as to what the best salt is for reef tanks. I have been trying to get an idea for a while now. I have been using Instant Ocean, but I have heard that there are better salts around. Could I get some advise please?

albert_dao
12-15-2007, 05:39 PM
KZ Reefer's Best should be available in Canada soon.

Myka
12-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I think Instant Ocean is quite good. The Alk and pH are good, you just need to boost up the calcium a bit. No biggie. I think it's the bang for the buck.

The "best" salt I think is Tropic Marin Pro Reef. It will cost you about $80 for a bucket, but it is a bigger bucket than IO - 200 gallon mix.

Jason McK
12-15-2007, 06:35 PM
KZ Reefer's Best should be available in Canada soon.

the minute it arrives I'm switching from TMP

J

skylord
12-15-2007, 08:12 PM
I was planning on changing from TMP to this salt but the US prices I am seeing are higher than TMP........so maybe I will wait till Jason gives the cloudy water a try...lol Only thing I have read that isnt possitive about this salt is getting the water to clear while mixing.

Scott

mark
12-15-2007, 08:31 PM
What makes a good salt, is just when you mix it the Ca/Mg/Alk/pH and other things normally tested for come out to NSW right from the start?

skylord
12-15-2007, 08:52 PM
What makes a good salt, is just when you mix it the Ca/Mg/Alk/pH and other things normally tested for come out to NSW right from the start?

For me that was a big part for me switching to TMP. With IO (and others)I was having to dose calc and mg before I used it. I was also using supplements between changes. When I switched to TMP some thought I was off, ("why use expensive, salt is salt right?)but I didn't have to dose my tank as long as I did my changes somewhat routinely. I was also getting tired of the sludge in the bottom of my mixing barrel and the film floating on top. I felt like I needed to filter the water before adding it to my tank.

Scott

andresont
12-15-2007, 09:45 PM
the minute it arrives I'm switching from TMP

J
makes 2 of us.
TMP for now.
however if you read Zeo product guide (where reefers salt is recommended) you will see that it is intentionally made with low levels of calcium and magnesium, and use of Calc reactor with 10% magnesium beads is preferred method.

Or adding 10grams of calc and 15 grams of Magnesium per 1 Kg of reefers salt to maintain proper balance. They sell these componets also. So here we go again (dosing)

dsaundry
12-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes. I Have Noticed The Film When I Mix My Water, Thought It Might Have Been Container But I Tried Another And Same Issue. I Understand It Is Normal To See This Film But I Feel I Have To Scoop This Film Of The Top. I Think I Will Try Another Salt Than Io But I Will Go With What I Have For Now Until I Start Getting Low On Salt..thanks....darryl

danny zubot
12-16-2007, 04:20 AM
For me it's Ocean Pure Pro. Still have to up the alkalinity a bit, but the Mangnesium is super high. Plus, and I think Albert might be able to confirm this, but I'm certain the price just went down to almost IO levels.

Jason McK
12-16-2007, 04:24 AM
I guess the better question is what makes salt the BEST.

Slipstream
12-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Shouldnt this be a poll since its in the poll section?? :lol:

littlesilvermax
12-16-2007, 04:06 PM
IME if you add anything to IO unless it is magnesium first, you will get precipitation on the bottom of of your mixing container.

Then you wil not have the levels you want in your water, you are just adding to junk at the bottom.

I found I could add calcium all day long and it would never get above 350-375.

Now, add 180 ppm of magnesium first, then you can add calcium and have no problems at all.:mrgreen:

Myka
12-16-2007, 04:42 PM
For me that was a big part for me switching to TMP. With IO (and others)I was having to dose calc and mg before I used it. I was also using supplements between changes. When I switched to TMP some thought I was off, ("why use expensive, salt is salt right?)but I didn't have to dose my tank as long as I did my changes somewhat routinely. I was also getting tired of the sludge in the bottom of my mixing barrel and the film floating on top. I felt like I needed to filter the water before adding it to my tank.

Scott

Yes, I have often wondered...just what is all the sludge on the bottom of the mixing bucket? Likely, it's actually beneficial and should be in the water, not stuck to the bottom...hmmm?

It's odd you have to dose Mg with IO. My batches always test out (with sg 1.026) at:

pH 8.0
Alk 12
Cal 380
Mg 1350

Personally, I like Reef Crystals better than any other salt (although everyone else likes Tropic Marin Pro Reef better), but I can't get a good price on RC around here...

kwirky
12-20-2007, 06:27 AM
i'm switching from oceanpure pro to reefer's best when it arrives as well. I have such a small tank that the cost is minimal. It'll save me $$ anyways since I won't have to dose K+

zulu_principle
12-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Unfortuantley I just dont see significant difference in results to justify the increase in price for these premium salts like TMP.

I kinda like my sps display tank and I just use IO or Kent......totally depends on which one I have and which one is cheaper.

For those that are in smaller volumes or just wanting the assurance that the salt mixes with no residue, or better properties I can see the merit but does it show in your displays ?

What do the guys like Marc and Jamie use ?

All the best.

Wendell

tang daddy
12-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes I would like to know aswell as I use IO bcause that's all I can afford.

mseepman
12-21-2007, 04:50 PM
I didn't have any luck with my numbers using IO and I always had a lot of sludge at the bottom without dosing. I switched to Bio-sea and really like it. My tank really perked up after I changed too. Unfortunately, I have to get it out of Edmonton which is a long way to go for Salt.

mark
12-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I use IO, never had sludge, never had film unless I leave it sitting for a couple of weeks with a heater and pump on then only slight.

I do supplement with Mg and Ca as find low out of the pail (one pail Ca 325, Mg 1100, Alk 11.2, another pail Ca 275, Mg 900, Alk 10.9) but don't find a a big deal, nor expensive as buy supplement bulk fr littlesilvermax.

littlesilvermax
12-21-2007, 06:01 PM
I use IO, never had sludge, never had film unless I leave it sitting for a couple of weeks with a heater and pump on then only slight.

I do supplement with Mg and Ca as find low out of the pail (one pail Ca 325, Mg 1100, Alk 11.2, another pail Ca 275, Mg 900, Alk 10.9) but don't find a a big deal, nor expensive as buy supplement bulk fr littlesilvermax.

Works out to a few dollars a pail.:wink:

Veng68
12-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Anyone try to make thier own salt? I am following this thread:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=271

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Black Phantom
12-23-2007, 10:25 PM
I guess if you're a chemist that might be ok but I neither have the tools or the time to make my own salt

Chowder
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Looks like Reefers Best Salt is here.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=zv-salt

jasond
01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Wow, not cheap, but I wonder if it is just as expensive as using IO and having to dose everything???

Anyone using this yet? Feedback?

littlesilvermax
01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Wow, not cheap, but I wonder if it is just as expensive as using IO and having to dose everything???

Anyone using this yet? Feedback?

Using IO and having to dose everything costs about $4 a pail at most.:wink:

VFX
01-15-2008, 04:33 PM
$100 for 150g?

damn! & I thought Pro Reef was pricey!

michika
01-15-2008, 04:42 PM
On the topic of RBC, is it only a salt to be used in conjuction with the zeovit system?

jasond
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Using IO and having to dose everything costs about $4 a pail at most.:wink:

OK so not quite that bad! More of the hassle of doing it I suppose.

Jason McK
01-15-2008, 08:30 PM
On the topic of RBC, is it only a salt to be used in conjuction with the zeovit system?

No you can use any salt with Zeovit. It is made by the same people that make Zeo but it's not a must. It is said to have the most natural levels of sea water including Potassium of any on the other salts. Also it does not try to get CA and ALK supper high like other salts.

andresont
01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
J&L now has this ZEO salt at $99.99 per box , don't know for how many gallons , i just seen it yesterday in the store

michika
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
No you can use any salt with Zeovit. It is made by the same people that make Zeo but it's not a must. It is said to have the most natural levels of sea water including Potassium of any on the other salts. Also it does not try to get CA and ALK supper high like other salts.

So I could in theory use it and not use zeo? Have you used it before? What kind of results do you see, or not see? From what I understand there is less dosing required, but beyond that?

Jason McK
01-15-2008, 11:10 PM
I have not used it. It's been very hard to get over the last few months.

I have read that it has good Potassium, CA, ALK, MAG levels but they are not beyond natural levels. If you normally run you system with CA in the 500s and ALK at 14 DKH, it's likly not the salt for you.

Ill post my findings as I go

J

michika
01-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I saw that it was hard to get it for awhile on the zeovit forums, and I guess I just assumed it was available here, or had been available for a time.

Will you be posting your findings on your blog, or on one of your threads? I'm really curious and want to follow along.

Jason McK
01-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I can post them here. I'll start a new thread. Or dig up my old one on Salt tests.

J

dsaundry
01-16-2008, 03:18 AM
Ok, So after reading all the replies I have decided to give the TMP a shot. I am just about out of my IO and have purchased a bucket. I will monitor my dosing changes and how everything responds and keep everybody posted. I may try reefers best next time and see if that has any better benefits as well. As I am also setting up my 90g predator tank right now and also a small 27g tank at work. God I am a glutton for punishment. I will also weigh cost into the equation as well. Do you get that much more results with the "higher cost premium" salt. Thanks for all the great replies so far.:biggrin: