PDA

View Full Version : i think ive finaly gone insane

i have crabs
12-03-2007, 02:12 AM
ok i think my ive lost the battle with my mts and ive gone crazy this time, ive always had a thing for groupers and other large fish but my recent purchase is posibly the coolest or dumest thing ive done yet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/dec22007031.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/dec22007032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/dec22007027.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/nov292007003.jpg

hes currently in a 130g qt tank as you can see in the last pic hes 18" long and im guessing about 5-6" wide and 7-8" tall so whats that about 8-10 gallons of water hes taking up.
either way hes cool as hell as far as im concerned the wife isnt so shure yet,im not shure how much my food bill is gonna go up yet but but i fed him about 4-5 full shrimp and it seemed like a small snack. hes very calm and not agressive when eating compared to the other groupers i have,
ill be adding him in with the others this week and hopfully all goes well or i dont know what im gonna do about it 3 foot long fish vs 1 18" monster

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Wow, hes beautiful. Looks very healthy! Where did you find such a big grouper? I usually see them for sale quite small. I have never seen your tank, how big is it? What other groupers do you have? Nice fish!

i have crabs
12-03-2007, 02:40 AM
i got him from golds in calgary, hes been hidden away for a long time disposing of any dead fish in the store, his eyes are very cloudy and had some specks on them i would guess possibly ich but either way hes getting treated and im soaking all his food in garlic and vitamins,as for what kind of grouper i guess hes called a speckeled grouper epinephelus cyanopodus but thier is another grouper thats very simular looking wich he might be as well, their very nice looking when small but i couldnt find a pic of the juvi colours anywhere.
his new tank is gonna be the 300g i build a few months ago with a emperor snapper,black spotted grouper and a panther grouper.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36511
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/dec22007012.jpg
i had 2 leaflip groupers in thier also but removed them cause they couldnt compeate for food, and the yellow tang is also getting removed for its own safety

michika
12-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Kudos on the decision to QT your new purchase. Makes me happy to see QT in action!

Are you going to name it?

Richard_Dicosimo
12-03-2007, 02:45 AM
do grupers get along well with eachother? i didnt think they did. nice purchase i have always wanted a coral grouper but they get so big i swear you almost need a 1000 gal tank and a large bank roll for food.

Richard

i have crabs
12-03-2007, 03:25 AM
after losing a tankfull of fish a couple years ago i qt every fish i get now,ive never had problems with groupers fighting but i dont think id try 2 of the same type,although i did end up with 2 leaflip groupers and when i added them together they buddied up right away, im thinking i should name his just cause hes gonna be such a presence in the tank but im not shure what yet,

Delphinus
12-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Good Lord what are you going to feed that thing, German Shepherds ???? I think I know what's next for you: find a house with a swimming pool. Then go buy a whole lotta salt buckets ....... :lol:

No seriously, that's very neat. My hat is off to you, best of luck. Go big or go home, they always say .... I see you've found a way to do both. :)

Chin_Lee
12-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Good Lord what are you going to feed that thing, German Shepherds ???? I think I know what's next for you: find a house with a swimming pool. Then go buy a whole lotta salt buckets ....... :lol:

No seriously, that's very neat. My hat is off to you, best of luck. Go big or go home, they always say .... I see you've found a way to do both. :)

that things gonna eat your yellow tang !!!!

albert_dao
12-03-2007, 06:52 AM
His name at the store was "Buddy".

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Buddy looks more like something I'd find at T&T (Chinese supermarket that sells live fish for dinners) than at the LFS. Holy smokes Albert, that's a monster fish to keep as a environmentally friendly waste disposal unit.

Better you than me, dude. I would hate to buy bags of prawns to feed that one fish. My wife already claims my fish eat better than we do.

Anthony

i have crabs
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
dont worry the tang is getting removed because it would definatly get eaten, and the interweb is telling me that in hongkong " buddy " is a major food fish

ImprezaSTi
12-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Buddy looks more like something I'd find at T&T (Chinese supermarket that sells live fish for dinners) than at the LFS. Holy smokes Albert, that's a monster fish to keep as a environmentally friendly waste disposal unit.

Better you than me, dude. I would hate to buy bags of prawns to feed that one fish. My wife already claims my fish eat better than we do.

Anthony

yea lol! looks like something from the supermarket

Richard_Dicosimo
12-04-2007, 01:44 AM
when i went diving in Florida one of the guys i went with told me i had to have a grouper burger its like thier version of fish and chips, and grouper tastes freakin awesome!!

Richard

michika
12-04-2007, 03:40 AM
So how much does Buddy really eat per day?

i have crabs
12-04-2007, 04:24 AM
well yesterday i gave him 4 large shrimp(not cut up) and today i gave him about 10-15 silversides i wouldnt say either was anywhere near a large meal, but im just getting started

michika
12-04-2007, 04:28 AM
The sound "oink oink" just came to mind. Buddy sounds like he is going to be a very expensive mouth to feed!

Skimmer Juice
12-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Its ok I have crabs is rich!

michika
12-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Its ok I have crabs is rich!

Must be nice :mrgreen:

Patrick1
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I saw that fish at golds. I know they sold it because Albert was scared to get to close to the sump it was living. If he ever fell I am sure the fish could eat him whole.

accord823
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I fed Buddy a few times while he was still at Gold
:)
He is a Monster :twised:

i have crabs
12-10-2007, 01:51 AM
whell i moved buddy into his new home last night and it was mayham like i expected turned out fine though, buddy got bounced off the floor and i ended up with about 10 gallons of water on me and the floor but thier was no fishts and the 3 other fish stay out of his way
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/dec92007039.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/dec92007029.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/dec92007034.jpg

just remember the other 3 fish are 11-12" each and he makes them look tiny

Delphinus
12-10-2007, 02:12 AM
How much do you reckon he weighs?

i have crabs
12-10-2007, 02:25 AM
i dont know but it was a few pounds forshure

fishytime
12-11-2007, 03:32 AM
very much bass shaped. 5lbs easy. Get out the fishing gear. J/K.Gonna need a bigger tank:biggrin:

danny zubot
12-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Fatten him up good, and serve him at the next reef meeting.:mrgreen:

Slipstream
12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Whats he eat??.. LOL.. feed him like a full zuccini or something :lol:

i have crabs
12-12-2007, 01:03 PM
i just bought him a big bag of smelt from superstore for $6 so thats gonna be his main diet and i usally feed the others shrimp so im shure hell get that once in a while.

Delphinus
12-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Geeez that's not bad at all. Well, this is coming from a guy who's happily paying $10/week to feed some salamanders that fell into his window well, which some people I've told that to, think I'm nuts. So I guess it's all about perspective. :mrgreen:

I guess the main thing is bioload. I'm guessing you want one king mondo skimmer on there..

BC564
12-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I guess Im going to have to come by and check out the monster.....I seen him in the sump at Gold's...........but now ....you can really see him

michika
12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I guess Im going to have to come by and check out the monster.....I seen him in the sump at Gold's...........but now ....you can really see him

I want to see him too now! TANK TOUR!

On a side note...how did you get him home?

danny zubot
12-12-2007, 11:22 PM
On a side note...how did you get him home?

Doubled up garbage bags?:lol:

i have crabs
12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
as far as bio load goes i now have 4 fish in around 400g of water, im running a euroreef rs250 wich is mabey a little small for this size of tank but thats how its staying for a while, im gonna be starting monthly waterchanges of 1 bucket of salt so mabey around 120g at the proper salinity.
when i brought him home we filled a large styrofoam box with about 15g of water and stuffed him in thier wasnt as bad as moving him across the basement from the qt to the 300, when i was leving golds 2 bike cops pulled up behind me and started asking what in doing here and where's your i.d.,when i told them i was buying a giant fish they looked at me like shure bud where's the crack. but i guess i was in forestlawn at night in a 50g truck