PDA

View Full Version : Essential Reef set up equipment

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi, i was just wondering if somebody could make a list for me of all the things i need in order to successfully set up a reef tank. Right from the size of tanks, down to the color of substrate :razz:

Thanx

Joe Reefer
11-22-2007, 09:23 PM
You can check out our "Just Starting Out (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=51)" reference library there is many great links there.

This (http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1) is also a good read for a beginner.
And another one (http://www.reefs.org/library/newbieguide.html).

Welcome to the hobby.!

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:27 PM
A currently have a FO salwater, and a freshwater, but i want a list of things i will need for a reef, instead of reading through 20 different articles. Once i get the stuff i need, THAN ill read some more, considering ive already read like 5 books, and 50 articles, but they all say something slightly different of what u need. So i need a list of it to help me get started. Thanx

digital-audiophile
11-22-2007, 09:31 PM
You can ask 50 different people and you will get 50 different answers. The information is out there. :)

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Forget i asked than.

digital-audiophile
11-22-2007, 09:37 PM
That's not what I am saying, I'm just suggesting that there is a lot of info to be found. In the end it really depends on what you want to do?

If you are just doing softies and no fish then PC lighting and no skimmer may work. If you are going full SPS and lots of fish then you would need Hallides, heavy skimming, zeovit and so forth.

What are your plans? I'm sure eveyone would be happy to share their experiences. :)

kwirky
11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
i've been in the reef hobby for about a year and a half and I'm just starting to leave the "noob" phase. What I've found is that even though equipment can be exciting, when you look at an amazing tank and go "wow!" the equipment is only 1/4 of the reason it looks so good. Consistent tank husbandry, lots of patience, and lots of planning is what makes or breaks a tank I think. Read read read like joe said. There are all sorts of ways to keep a tank at various sizes and all can be successful. I rushed my first reef tank and thought it was just the gear that would make for a nice tank and concequently I paid the price.

Do step back though and think "how much do I have to spend on this tank?" One person said a good estimate of a tank cost is $30 per gallon and I think that's right on the money if you want to run a really nice tank.

Reading is the best way to learn in the intial stages before you have your tank because there's SO much to learn that discussion on the forums would not cover it all. The canreef document library is great :D Cristy does a great job maintaining it.

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
A full reef system tank, soft, hard, fish, inverts, the whole bit.

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:41 PM
As i have said, i have read A LOT of material already, but i am looking for a start up list. Because everything i read basically says, u need this, but not this, but you should have it anyways cause it adds to the bubble effect. I wanna know what i actually NEED to start one successfully.

Joe Reefer
11-22-2007, 09:42 PM
I would read 5 more books and 50 more articles before any purchase is made. Sorry to disapoint you but keeping a reef is not the same as a fish only tank. There is so many more things to consider then salinity.

A currently have a FO salwater, and a freshwater, but i want a list of things i will need for a reef, instead of reading through 20 different articles. Once i get the stuff i need, THAN ill read some more, considering ive already read like 5 books, and 50 articles, but they all say something slightly different of what u need. So i need a list of it to help me get started. Thanx

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
oh really, i never would have guessed.. like i said, forget i asked, ill go somewhere else and ask somebody else.

Joe Reefer
11-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Have you read The Reef Aquarium Volume 3? This book is great for setup ideas and methods for maintaining reef tanks.

BC564
11-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Do you have any idea how big of tank you want to have....or better yet ...can afford to get? This will also determine what your going to need.

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:47 PM
No. But i looked for it and couldnt find it anywhere in town. We have a very limited aquarium support here. thats why i came here for help.. Which i dont seem to be getting. I already know i need to read more, i never said im going to stop reading it, i just wanted a list of what some of the experienced reefers here would recommend. So itd at least point me in the right direction..

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I dont have much room for anything bigger than a 100gal

Joe Reefer
11-22-2007, 09:49 PM
ok so you want a list:

-tank
-pumps
-sand
-skimmer
-rock
-lights

mark
11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
If it was just that easy as "buy this" for the perfect reef.

I'm sure I could say you need this exactly and 10 people here would say "ahhh maybe this". I'm also sure you could pick a system say from TOTM (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35082) and clone it and you won't get the same results (probably good start though).

Read, talk to people, search or ask specific questions.

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:52 PM
well, i was hoping for something a bit more.. i dunno.. usefull than that. but thanx anyways.

Joe Reefer
11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
This is my last post in this thread, I pointed you in the right direction in my first post. Did you even click on any of the links? What we are telling you is you can't go out a buy reef tank off the shelf and have it look the way you think it is going to look. In fact its prob going to look like $hi*. Sorry for sounding like such an a$$hole. This forum is one of the best reef sites on the net, everyone here truly loves this hobby and are willing to help in almost anyway they can. Maybe you should just move on.

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 10:03 PM
I never said i was just going to go and buy it, i was just trying to get a freaking base of what to start LOOKING at what to buy. I asked for help, not for a stupid 'go read this book' idea. IM ALREADY DOING THAT as i already said. But i m getting some help from one member.. So thank you to him.

mark
11-22-2007, 10:11 PM
hope it's not that 14year old without the tank:wink:

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 10:13 PM
haha.. funny.. whose that anyways?.

BC564
11-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I pm'ed him some stuff to think about and some suggestions.

michika
11-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Okay here is your list:

Water
- salt (lots to choose from)
- refractometer or a dialed in hydrometer. Refractometer is more acurate.
- testkits, many people seem to like the salifert brand. For just starting out, you'll need; ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Eventually for a reef tank you should have calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. Some people test for more parameters, but these are the basics.

Lighting
- Since you mentioned you want a full reef tank you have lots of options. In essence you are going to want to consider T5s, or Metal halide lighting. You - you may want to do supplemental lighting for color
- you may also consider moonlighting for evening or after dark lighting.

The tank:
- You said no bigger the 100g. Is the size of the display you are stating, or the overall system?

Is this the type of list your looking for?

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanx BC and Michika, that helps.

And yah, its the display that will be 100

ponokareefer
11-22-2007, 10:33 PM
One thing you will need as well is lots of flow, usually created by powerheads in the tank. Some less expensive, but really good powerheads that are fairly new on the market are called Hydor Koralia.

Doug
11-22-2007, 10:38 PM
oh really, i never would have guessed.. like i said, forget i asked, ill go somewhere else and ask somebody else.

Please refrain from post like this. Keeping on the topic will get more answers.

What they are saying is the truth. So many variables in this hobby. Depending on livestock plans, equipment availability & cash flow.

Thanks

ponokareefer
11-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Not exactly an essential item, but definitely nice to have is timers for your lights. You can usually pick them up at hardware stores for about $15 each.
You may also want to look at setting up some type of wavemaking device. There are a lot of different ways of doing this, so you may want to investigate them. I used 2 Koralia 3's with a Seio Electronic Powerhead Controller, and that has worked really well for me. The ultimate though is a Tunz Wavebox. You will be looking at $500 to $600 though.

adidas
11-22-2007, 10:43 PM
skimmer
auto top off
mh + actinic lights

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanx guys. I already got timers on my current tanks, so thats one thing i definitely will use again. :)

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Please refrain from post like this. Keeping on the topic will get more answers.

What they are saying is the truth. So many variables in this hobby. Depending on livestock plans, equipment availability & cash flow.

Thanks

Thats the thing, i already KNOW there are variables, but all they were saying was go and read more books, in which i have already done that, and am reading more as we speak, i came on here for help with what they thought i should get to start up and they didnt help me at all, and i was getting kinda annoyed at them because they wouldnt listen. But now that im actually getting help from people, its fine.

kwirky
11-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok you never mentioned in your first post you've already done a lot of research. Quite a number of us feel daunted when somone asks simply "how do I keep a good saltwater reef?" Too much to say in one post :)

I'll try to think of "nice stuff to have". pseudo-luxury stuff that makes life a whole lot easier.

Large round rubbermaid garbage can for mixing saltwater in with a high wattage heater to heat the water quickly before adding salt. Pump/s for mixing the water too.
a Reverse Osmosis/Deionizer (RO/DI) unit to purify your tap water. Quite beneficial if you have a reef tank and almost a "need". If you have hard water (dunno how it is in prince george) you might want to buy one of those "whole house filters" from home depot that will go inline before the RO/DI unit. It makes all the cartridges last longer if your water has a lot of sediment. You can also tap into the "RO" portion of the purifier and get drinking water. We have a water cooler and we fill the jugs ourselves.
You will need a pump and heater for mixing change water in too. That's something commonly forgotten about leading to an impromptu trip to the LFS usually :). Heat the water BEFORE adding the salt. Helps prevent strange calcium/alkalinity problems.
You'll also need a large rubbermaid bin (prefferably a round garbage can style one) to store your RO/DI water.
A turkey baster or an extra maxijet powerhead to blow off your rock on a daily basis. I prefer the turkey baster. It prevents detritus buildup and helps with algae.
Automatic top off units for evaporated water are a real nice luxury. the JBJ one is pretty good at $100. Saves a lot of time and hassel and your snails and oysters n such will thank you for it (very sensitive to salinity changes).
Your initial calcium demand won't be so high to need a calcium reactor initially. You can procrastinate and make your own two part calcium/alkalinity mix. Contact littlesilvermax on the forums here. He has good calcium for a good price. the alkalinity is simple baked baking soda. recipe here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php.
Wavemakers are nice. For 60g or larger tanks a tunze powerhead/wavemaker combo (from j&L) or a wavebox if you have lots of $$$ to blow ;). Smaller tanks you can use a JBJ wavemaker controller and maxijet powerheads. Nano's are benefited from hydor rotating water deflectors. These all do a good job at randomizing your current and preventing detritus from settling. That way your skimmer can remove it while it's in the water column.
oh! and forceps! giant 10" long stainless steel tweezers! My forceps are one of the most valuable pieces of equipment I have. You can get them from a surgical supply store. Extremely handy.
A feeding stick is handy too for feeding things or moving things around in the bottom region of the tank. The less your hands are in the tank the less your skimmer acts up.

Doug
11-22-2007, 10:59 PM
http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31580&highlight=reefkeeper

Here, get yourself one of these. Eliminates many other components. :D

kwirky
11-22-2007, 11:01 PM
oh and a cleaning magnet! Like this: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/cleaning.php?product_ID=cl-mre01f

one of my favorite accessories that's used often.

Slipstream
11-23-2007, 03:28 AM
Thanx. Well, it wasnt in my first post, but it was after the next 5 replies.. READ BOOKS that i posted that i already had.. lol. But thanx for all the help guys.

michika
11-23-2007, 03:44 AM
I also want to recommend either an excel worksheet, or a notebook to keep track of your parameters.

A couple of things I learned the hard way; test out the depth of your tank first before you buy it. Nothing like being unable to touch the bottom of your tank when something falls.

Lighting that either comes off or moves up and down is awesome. Lighting burns suck, and they take a long long time to heal.

Buy vinegar at some point. Its a great cleaning tool! Old toothbrushes, and those vegetable scrubber brushes are great too.

Consider the height of your stand, where the tank is going to sit. Make sure you have ample room for a sump/refugium (if you are going that route), storage, and room to move around.

Are you going to go with a standard 100g, or are you thinking of something custom? Consider what livestock you want in your tank, as it may dictate the best configuration for your tank. E.g. tangs like more length then height, yet seahorses like height.

Do you have any stocking ideas, anything you know is a must have for your tank?

marie
11-23-2007, 03:50 AM
While your doing your research remember all you really need is a tank, some flow, lights and a means of exporting nutrients. It can be as simple as this

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/2202005_1125tank0030.JPG

75g tank, MH lights, prizm pro skimmer, 3 maxijet 1200s and live rock

Or as complicated as this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/oct21003.jpg

175g bowfront, basement sump,calcium reactor and so on and so on :mrgreen:

It depends on how much money you want to spend and how much time you have to spend

Having gone both ways I think keeping it simple is much better but thats just my opinion

mr_alberta
11-23-2007, 04:43 AM
What methodology do you plan on using? Bare Bottom, SSB, DSB, etc etc. This will help determine what equipment you may or may not need. What equipment do you have now that you are going to reuse? A little more info would allow us to give you more detailed answers. Otherwise you'll just end up getting general answers...

kwirky
11-23-2007, 06:01 AM
What methodology do you plan on using? Bare Bottom, SSB, DSB, etc etc. This will help determine what equipment you may or may not need. What equipment do you have now that you are going to reuse? A little more info would allow us to give you more detailed answers. Otherwise you'll just end up getting general answers...

My current setup is quite early in it's zeovit stages but I really like the zeovit method. Most people I've talked to have had good results if they stick to the regiment. It's not that expensive really too compared to all the other stuff bought for reefkeeping. Too bad it's more of a "product" than a methodology, meaning it's controlled by a single company rather than a community.

Slipstream
11-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Well, prefferably i wanna get live sand. Apprx 2 inches deep. I HATE bare bottoms. And i plan on having fish, corals(hard and soft), and inverts. I basically wannna get it so that it looks exactly like ya took a shovel and took it outta the ocean.

Which is why i dont like bare bottoms, i dont think they look as natural.

Jason McK
11-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Building a ref aquarium is a very slow and involved process. I'm sure through your reading you have discovered that there are many theories behind each piece of equipment you purchase.
I would suggest you see what you can afford.
If 100G is the room you have then go with a 100G.
From there i would research Lighting, Skimmers, Sump design and come back to Canreef and ask specific questions about each piece. It will be a lot easier for use to comment on a piece of hardware rather than generalize.

But for an Idea of what I believe you will need.
Tank and Stand
Sump
Lighting
Skimmer
Method of flow (closed loop, power heads)
a way of maintaining Calcium and Alk (daily doseing, CA reactor, Kalk Reactor)
Live rock
Sand
Timers or controller
PH monitor
Test kits
Salinity measurement device
Heaters
J

Salmon King
12-01-2007, 08:09 AM
If you dont go sps corals it is very simple.Me and my friends test ph only but we do water changes every 1 or 2 weeks.All you need is live sand/ cured live rock if you can get it/a couple power heads/ heater /skimmer /Metal halide good but if you cant afford power compacts fine but limits the coral you can buy. Supplements Reef Complete/Iodide/marine buffer/electronit ph moniter if you can afford but manual okayA computer fan mounted on your tank.You want the temp no higher 78 degrees.I/m not really into sps but am looking into it.Hope this helps and any questions ask.I read on the internet but me and my friends rather buy corals then books.I do lke looking at the pictures thow.

Slipstream
12-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Thanx Salmon

Aquattro
12-03-2007, 04:19 AM

I haven't finished reading this thread yet, but already I'm pretty much not in the mood to help.
The real ANSWER is read more, and then decide what YOU want from what you've read. Yes, I know you don't like that answer, but that is THE answer.

Every member on this board will be the same as the books. 50 members, 50 different opinions.

Salmon King
12-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Since the begining I could tell Slipstream doesnt have much money.He would like buy all the stuff you people were suggesting but was trying to do the best tank with the budget he has.That is what I got out of it.I like the pictures he posted.Remember your first tanks

Slipstream
12-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanx Salmon, your one of the FEW people on this site actually willing to help me in my particular situation.

One thing im trying to look into, is saving up for a reef cube... U know, the all in one filter systems for a reef tank. :)

Doug
12-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanx Salmon, your one of the FEW people on this site actually willing to help me in my particular situation.

Well, thats just such a nice post about a board, thats one of the best online, and esp. a board that caters to local reefers in its main area,s.

I thought, many were offering you good advice. What else would you like for them/us to post? Please let us know what it is you require?

Did you read the reference library I pointed out and that one of our staff spent tireless hours setting up for new aquarists to read or someone with particular problems ? Lots of good info.

Doug
12-03-2007, 02:09 PM
One thing im trying to look into, is saving up for a reef cube... U know, the all in one filter systems for a reef tank. :)

Those look pretty neat. Several of our members are running one or similar tanks. I remember reading some in the journal forum.

I would be wary of their filtration capacity and some are much better than others, {lighting also}, but I guess water changes are easily done and will greatly assist filtration.

What about having a smaller cube built & running a sump? Some nice ones on here also.