PDA

View Full Version : Who Has a Coral Propogation System?

Der_Iron_Chef
11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
In response to this (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=282772#post282772) thread on Canreef, which is about this (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1215102&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) thread on RC...just wondering peoples' thoughts on their current coral propagation or future plans.

Aquattro
11-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Well, I voted that I do and it isn't, even though I don't have a tank running now. When I had my last setup, I did at one time setup a frag tank to be able to grow out and provide frags for sale, trade, etc. I found the extra work and money did NOT give me any more income or trades than did simply cutting frags out of my main tank. Now I have to consider I had a heavily stocked SPS tank where cutting out 40 frags wouldn't be noticeable, so this may not be applicable to everyone, but for me, as purely a hobbyist, it was not worth it.

Snappy
11-21-2007, 07:44 PM
They are not for everybody but in my case I have one and for me it is worth it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I usually have a frag tank setup, although alot of the frags are just made to order out of the display tanks too. For me, my frag tank is also my seahorse tank. No ideal but space is limited. Normally, having the frag tank has been worth it. I also use it to store corals out of the main display when necessary (ie. if a fish is nipping it).

Anthony

michika
11-21-2007, 08:22 PM
My whole tank is a propagation system! I also have a separately set up set of cages for frags. I found it has benefited me in two ways, I can make a quick glance and see what I have for sale, and I can keep a close eye on fresh cuttings.

mark
11-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Voted for consider in the future as currently don't have a lot worth fragging and if created a accidental frag, could find the room in display for awhile.

Those threads do have me thinking though, really like the idea of the shallow grow out tanks.

Murminator
11-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I had one then the whole died over the summer cleaned it out now it's holding about 40-50 of live rock for my main display.
I am planning on doing another one

Jason McK
11-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I have a frag tank. It isn't 100% yet but I don't like cutting things while people are waiting. I find I damage the corals trying to get a good piece.
With a prop tank. I'm able to tank my time and get pieces that may not be the greatest but a month in the frag tank the growth and colour have improved the piece to the point that it is justs as good if not better than any piece I could cut off the colony

J

Aquattro
11-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, with my new setup, I'll have a 5ft long sump, so I imagine I'll build a frag tray into it somewhere. It's certainly something to consider if you don't want to hack at your main colonies, just in my case I had to regularly prune anyway, so for me (at that time) it wasn't a benefit.

kwirky
11-22-2007, 05:07 AM
At one point I was seriously organizing the funds/research on a propagation system but then school taught me I didn't have the time for such a thing (nor the $$).

When school's over and I'm living somewhere that I'm not moving out of for a few years I'm going to set up a propagation system. The problems I forsee would be getting a good assortment of corals to start at a good price and keeping on top of getting new corals to satisfy the demand for new stuff.

Where I'm at now in my life I can't really have anything more than a 24 gallon sumpless display tank. But I'll get more experience in the mean time though.