PDA

View Full Version : Would you take coral from a tank that had ich?

mark
11-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Want to make room in the tank by removing some frags but had an outbreak of ich awhile back. If I posted them up would disclose that had the outbreak but wondering if anyone would be interested.

(I know that corals don't host ich but figure there might be a chance the tomont attached to the substrate the frag is mounted on).

Zoaelite
11-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Personaly I would have no problem with it. From experience with fresh water (Because I'm fairly new to salt) I know that although ich can be spread through a system I believe it's how well the system is doing. For example if I had a 10g feeder tank with 70 fish in it ich would EXPLODE if i introduced it but in a 105g that has matured and has healthy inhabitants the chance of spreading is slim to none.

Levi

BC564
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
yeah I agree.....so if you need help getting rid of some...let me know...I will definately help you out....lol

Chaloupa
11-19-2007, 11:58 PM
all you have to do is quarantine the new corals for a few weeks and there would be no ich to worry about, so yes, I would take corals from an ich tank

Samw
11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
I've never had a problem with ick except for when I first started my reef tank and didn't have enough oxygenation as I used only powerheads. Then, ick killed my fish fairly quickly. Nowadays, I get ick only once in a while for various reasons (new fish or overdosing some additive), but the fish fight it off on their own (even without the UV running). So I have no fear of taking corals nor fish from a tank with ick. I don't recall ever losing a saltwater fish to ick after my first few months of reefkeeping.

super7
11-20-2007, 12:41 AM
If you quarantine corals before you put them into your main tank their should be no problem. You can also do a dip on them like you do to freshwater plants. I would however want to check water quality of the tank and how it has affected the coral since it has affected the fish. unless the fish were just added.

Skimmer Juice
11-20-2007, 01:21 AM
I would agree with Chaloupa and quarintine it for a couple weeks.

mark
11-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the replies.

As for setting up a QT tank for corals such a acros, what's required. Would be for frags so already have a small tank (10g) a small HOB filter but what for lighting? Would something like a screw-in CF (such as these (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36741&highlight=home+depot)) be enough to keep the frags happy?

fencer
11-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Yep...got no fish in the tank anyways but all you have to do is QT them. They can easily take a couple of hours.

Chaloupa
11-20-2007, 01:59 AM
My QT tank is a 40g shallow tank...drilled with a sump. I went large so I could QT colonies (read about red bugs and acro eating flatworms...to start) and they should all be QT'd.....I learned the hard way.....BUT my lighting is a 250w halide, I have a skimmer and good current.....plus excellent water quality.

In answer to having that bulb as a QT tank bulb for acros...I wouldn't think that was ideal...I QT my corals for a few weeks now....so it wouldn't remotely work....maybe someone else will chime in with experiences they have had...but any QT and frag systems have MH lighting

Aquattro
11-20-2007, 02:11 AM
I always cut frags off whatever they're mounted to anway, so taking a frag like this wouldn't be an issue.

marie
11-20-2007, 02:33 AM
I have never lost a fish to ich. I think ich is kind of like fleas on a dog if the fish has a strong immune system it can fight them off...marine velvet on the other hand is a nasty parasite :twised: .

untamed
11-20-2007, 04:59 AM
I think ich is a permanent resident of my tank already so I have no problem with frags coming from an ichy tank. Like others, I remove substrate from all frags and iodine dip them. I'm guessing that it's unlikely I would transfer ich in this way anyway.

EmilyB
11-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Without a doubt.