PDA

View Full Version : making close loop system

banditpowdercoat
10-28-2007, 04:23 AM
OKOK, I have been schooled :d aint this forum great. its a MANIFOLD system, not closed loop I building LOL

Just wonderin what you all think about the closed loop ring I did today. 7 Loc Line flare nozzles will be installed. Theres 3 in front, on the curve. Plumbed with 5/8 clear poly tube, 1 fitting under each corner, adn the 2 in the back. Wondering if I should have 1 more on the right side, make it even on each side? or will that be enough? You can also see the overflow I built. Yes, I broke one strainer tooth\

http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/tank%20002.JPG

Der_Iron_Chef
10-28-2007, 04:33 AM
Hey, that's looking really good! I think you could leave it as is....except that I would paint the clear tubing with a reef-safe black paint (krylon fusion?). Otherwise algae will grow inside, especially since it's right under the lighting! But really great--looks good.

banditpowdercoat
10-28-2007, 04:42 AM
Ya, Drew, thx. I was going to paint the White tubing, never thought about the Clear and Alge growing. Good tip :mrgreen:

Dale
10-28-2007, 04:57 AM
Good tip regarding the algae growth Drew!
I don't know if adding another nozzle will be of benefit Bandit. Unless you are running a high output pump (with the added problems of pressurized lines) you would be hard pressed to provide adequate flow to the seven you already have.
A question: Have you attached the tubing along the front of the tank and if so how? I can't tell from the photo. If it isn't attached at the midpoint (just suspended on the ends of the arc) I wonder if it will sag with 80* water running through it?

banditpowdercoat
10-28-2007, 05:27 AM
It's not attached yet, but will be. The plastic trim is acctually away from the tank glass, so I will drill holes in the trim, and run Ty-raps arounf the hose. Not the cheap rad-Shack zip ties either. I get, courtesy of West fraser Mills, good Black, Thomas-Betts Ty raps. I am an electrician. So you know that some cool water top off, and possibly a PLC controll :D I go overboard on everything I do

Also, I was thinking a Danner Mag 1800 for pump, adn will have the locline shutoffs on some if not all nozzles. I never ordered any shutoffs yet, want to see what the WOT flow will be like first, so I can get an idea what needs to be done

danny zubot
10-29-2007, 12:53 AM
I wish I would have done a closed loop on my old corner tank. They're really a pain to produce flow in otherwise.

I don't see where the intake will be coming from, have you done that part yet?

banditpowdercoat
10-29-2007, 12:56 AM
there is the stock 2 bulkhead fittings behind the surface overflow. That will be the sum intake/tank drain. 2 Durso style drains. Just trying to adapt PVC to the stock Fluval fittings. Seems Fluval made them offsize of standard fittings. I fear I will need some hose couplers and clamps. Is stainless still a nono, in a tank????

Der_Iron_Chef
10-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Yeah, don't use stainless steel.

OK, so I'm just trying to understand. Is the return from the Fluval coming through the loclines on top? Or is it simply a closed loop?

banditpowdercoat
10-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Ya, The overflow drains to the sump, where I will have a mag 1200 pumping into the loop, via the PVC in the back. Sorry if thats not a closed loop???? I was under the impression that the Loop itself, is what they call closed loop, because you allways have a drain and return from the sump???

And on hose clamps, Plastic is the only thing for inside the tank???

mark
10-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Closed loop is drain and return at same head.

What you have see referred to as a manifold (see picture here (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pbh2oret.htm)).

Der_Iron_Chef
10-29-2007, 04:17 AM
Yup, a manifold indeed! I'm hoping to build one for my next tank.

No metal, that's right :)

banditpowdercoat
10-29-2007, 04:19 AM
OK then, I need to change the title LOL

danny zubot
10-29-2007, 05:00 AM
A very nice looking manifold at that. My concern with it is that you might not get the flow you want with a Mag 12 at that head pressure. Did you say that you were thinking of a mag 18? I think it would work better.

banditpowdercoat
10-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Ahh, ok. Was thinking an 18 would have been to much?

mark
10-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Ahh, ok. Was thinking an 18 would have been to much?

It's somewhat surprising what some elbows can do, to drop your flow. Check the calculator out to get an idea with your layout and different pumps.

http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

banditpowdercoat
11-02-2007, 02:57 AM
I was just thinking, would the Mag 18 be too much flow for a 15G sump tank? Was thinking rubble and sand, skimmer at a later date in the sump. 15g is the largest I can fit, and be able to remove it

mark
11-02-2007, 05:00 AM
If you're planning sand in the sump, thats a lot of water moving for it.

Why do you need to remove the sump? What's wrong with craming the biggest sump in the stand that will fit then slide the whole thing against the wall?

banditpowdercoat
11-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Cause it's a corner unit tank and stand. The largest that will fit is 12x21 Unless I build a triangle one LOL.

What flow should I be aiming for in my sump? Looked ay the overflow again, not enough room for a pump in there, so it's the sump return only. I guess I could have the tank drain split into 2, one near the pump, and the other for the flow across the sand?