PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Protein Skimmers

mpleleaf
10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm doing research for the purchase of a new skimmer ($500-800 approx.)and came across the Tunze line of skimmers. I never heard of them having skimmers before and was wondering if anybody could give a review of them or any valuable info, good or bad! Also, this will be going on a system between 200-250 gal. located in a family room. Sump will be located under cabinet, so chime in with your thoughts on a quiet skimmer going roughly on this info!

danny zubot
10-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Quiet skimmer? Whats that?

I have no experience with Tunze skimmers but ASM are easy to use, clean, tweek etc. Reasonalbly priced too IMO.

Slick Fork
10-06-2007, 05:58 AM
I have the Tunze 9010 on my system (100 gallon display, 40ish gallon sump). I absolutely love it, very quiet and easy to use and pulls a good amount of skimmate as well. You can use it in-tank or in the sump. Very energy efficient and a small footprint as well.

I believe "Doug" did a formal review of his 9010. There's also a ton of info on them at Reef Central.

fkshiu
10-06-2007, 06:13 AM
I've got one of the older Tunze skimmer models (240/1) on my 165 gallon system. It's essentially a bigger version of the current 9210 model.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=tz-ps9210

It is quiet for a skimmer. Quieter than my old Euroreef CS6-2 with a Sedra meshmodded needlewheel and skims as well as the ER.

Tunze takes an entirely different approach to skimmers than what most people are used to seeing - small and efficient. The Tunze probably takes up less than half the room of the ER and uses less electricity. It's probably not the skimmer for someone who wants to skim the beejesus out of their system, but it is a quiet and efficient little skimmer that gets the job done.

Tunze has a newer line of skimmers (9010, 9015, 9020) as well.

Borderjumper
10-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Ive got a Tunze 9010 and it works just fine. Its a nice compact skimmer and I bought it for the lower profile as my sump area is somewhat restricted in height. It doesnt pull the skanky skimmate that my Deltec does, but it does its job and is fairly quiet. I'm quite happy with it.

andresont
10-06-2007, 08:30 AM
I used to have tunze230/3 on my older 108 Gal.
it was very quiet, easy to clean, and had an ozone port.
These are DOC skimmers (disolved organic carbon skimmers) and will NOT skimm particulate and plancton.
I can compare it to my ETSS (check my pictures (http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5499&cat=500&ppuser=1570&sl=a) for the feast full of a skimmate on this monster). and you know what,? my tank was not better with ETSS. That is why when i had a chance a bought tunze 240/3 but never got to use it because i have no sump on my new tank.
So i vote for Tunze big time.
I know skimmers are very touchy subject and everyone has favorits, but for me its alwaysthe same points to consider when selecting a skimmer
1 Ammount of air mixing.
2 Quietness.
3 easyness of cleanning.
4 Power consumption.
the rest is marketing hipe like for example galon rating... gallons do not produce waiste right? animals do.
HTH

~~~

Doug
10-06-2007, 02:33 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30063

I,m happy with mine. As I run sumpless, it was my best choice, IMO. I dont know if its enough for a larger 200g plus tank though. Tunze does have a new line out of larger skimmers.

Aquattro
10-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Igallons do not produce waiste right? animals do.

Well, while this is partially true, the goal is to remove the waste from the amount of water you have in a timely fashion. So 10 fish in a 20 gallon and 10 fish in a 200 gallon is not the same thing. You need a skimmer that can process the water you have to remove nutrients quickly, there for a bigger skimmer (porcessing rate) is required for a bigger tank.

mpleleaf
10-06-2007, 05:19 PM
So, for a best estimate , how long has Tunze been making their skimmer. I only just heard of them and I'm wondering in the big skeem of things why they are never mentioned. I know of the quality set in the powerheads and hopefully it spills over! I'm planning in the future for a 180G with my 77G as my sump. So, I guess the system will run at the 220G capacity mark( this will in fact be alot less with the rock and substate added, not sure how much), does anybody have an opinion wheather Tunze could handle it and if maybe I should go for a lot bigger unit for the amt. of gal.? Does anyone get the dark and stinky skimate from their unit?

Slick Fork
10-06-2007, 08:37 PM
If you check out the Tunze website, they have a guide describing how to size their skimmers. It talks about rated gallons and how to adjust that rating if you want to keep softies, lps, or sps corals.

Mine has been running problem free for just under a year, I have mine dialed in so I get some really dark stinky stuff coming out.

mpleleaf
10-07-2007, 03:21 AM
I tend to agree with Andresont on the hype issue because it seems this hobby is driven by it. The Tunze site details the skimmers very well but they all do when blowing their own horn. So for the ones who own them would you say they are rated acurately according to the site as far as tank size goes?

fkshiu
10-07-2007, 05:21 AM
I'd say they are rated pretty accurately if you go by their deduction formula depending on the type of tank you are keeping.

mpleleaf
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
So if I read the info right, depending on whatever I choose to do with my tank. The most I would have to derate would be 60% for High sensitivity and high load. This being said if I have a capacity of say 150 - 175 gallons, I would have to go with the Tunze 9015 model correct(396USG x 60%= 237.6). This model is recommended for aquariums up to 396 US gal. of salt water and has Water throughput 1200l/h & Air capacity 650l/h and according to the site a price of $430USD. I'll have to find a supplier here in Can. that carries this model and at what price so I can compare with other manufacturers!

Captainhemo
10-08-2007, 03:47 PM
J+L carries them but they are currently backordered, hopefully will be back in stock soon

mpleleaf
10-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Yes, I noticed they were on back-order, actually thinking that could be a good thing with people buying them up! I not really in any hurry, just reseaching now. Where I'm located no one carries large tanks , so it will require a trip to the States or toward Montreal, Que. for that purchase! Retailers here will bring them in for you but it's a reef ready marineland tank for $1500. The other skimmer I was thinking of was the Lifereef(USA) and it seems to have good reviews on Reef Central.