PDA

View Full Version : What kind of SW Tank do you have?

Snappy
09-25-2007, 10:30 PM
For me it's a sps dominated mixed reef

Johnny Reefer
09-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Can you make it a multiple choice poll? Got two SW tanks here. One's a FOWLR, the other's not. Maybe a FO selection too. :wink:

Cheers,

michika
09-26-2007, 12:04 AM
SPS & Clam dominated for me!

Der_Iron_Chef
09-26-2007, 12:07 AM
LPS-Dominated mixed reef.

Mik_101
09-26-2007, 12:09 AM
SPS dominant for me with a bit of softie and a few clams on the way :mrgreen:

marie
09-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Yes to all of the above...well except for the fowlr :mrgreen: and seeing as how i can't vote for more then one I couldn't vote

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-26-2007, 12:33 AM
I just voted based on my main tank, which is a LPS-dominated mixed reef.

Anthony

Delphinus
09-26-2007, 03:08 AM
Used to be SPS dominated, but not now, but hopefully one day soon enough again.

I don't really think of my tanks as anything one specific right now. Definitely what I'd call a "mixed garden". Or even in some cases, anemone dominated (no corals even). I guess an anemone is a sort of softie. :)

Snappy
09-26-2007, 03:35 AM
I should have said ----what is your favorite SW tank you have? I have more than one as well. My refugium is also a softie tank.

marie
09-26-2007, 03:41 AM
I should have said ----what is your favorite SW tank you have? I have more than one as well. My refugium is also a softie tank.
It depends which one I worked on this week. My favorite is the one that has nice clean glass, nonstinky protien skimmer, nice sparkly clean water and happy corals. At the moment it's the softie tank, I just did a 50% water change, put in a new sand bed, cleaned the powerhead and added an anemone :lol:

Snappy
09-26-2007, 05:11 AM
I'm surprized at how many sps tanks there are. I keep hearing from the stores that nobody is into sps and they don't like bringing it in. I thank them for thinking that, it helps my frag sales.:mrgreen:

Delphinus
09-26-2007, 05:27 AM
It depends which one I worked on this week.

Soooo very true. I was gonna say that's a hard one to answer because my answer would change weekly. (This one! No, this one! No, Ok, that one.) :mrgreen:

But now that you mention it, it does seem to correspond to whichever tank I cleaned last. :lol:

Delphinus
09-26-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm surprized at how many sps tanks there are.

I keep hearing that too, but, as you said, I think that's not really accurate.

Mind you, frags from coral prop guys are a better choice anyhow. :)

EmilyB
09-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Favorite, FOWLR. Had my SPS tank doing well but it did nothing for me. The little begging eyes do it for me. :lol:

Chowder
09-27-2007, 08:48 PM
SPS dominated with a few LPS,clams and rics and a LPS softie at work.

Murminator
09-27-2007, 10:07 PM
I think I need someone to show how to grow sps I seem to really suck at it. I maintain life for about a year with no growth before it dies maybe I need a calcium reactor or somethin :redface: Greg your gonna have to show me how to do it :mrgreen:

mr_alberta
09-27-2007, 11:40 PM
You multi-tank people are all nuts! :lol: :razz: There's more than enough work for me just from my nano (which is SPS dominant btw).

Snappy
09-28-2007, 12:21 AM
I think I need someone to show how to grow sps I seem to really suck at it. I maintain life for about a year with no growth before it dies maybe I need a calcium reactor or somethin :redface: Greg your gonna have to show me how to do it :mrgreen:
Hey Murray,
Come on down and I'll give you some free lessons.:lol: But seriously if you ever have questions, just ask.
If it's any consolation I have trouble keeping xenia alive.:redface: Well actually only if I buy it, when it comes as a hitch-hiker I can't get rid of it. I can't get it to pulse either.

Murminator
09-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey Murray,
Come on down and I'll give you some free lessons.:lol: But seriously if you ever have questions, just ask.
If it's any consolation I have trouble keeping xenia alive.:redface: Well actually only if I buy it, when it comes as a hitch-hiker I can't get rid of it. I can't get it to pulse either.

Deal I'll show you how to get over run by xenia and brown zoos you show me SPS :razz:

danny zubot
09-29-2007, 07:15 AM
My tank has gradually become an SPS tank from am mixed tank ove time. I didn't even realize it until I did a coral count the other day.

michika
09-29-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm surprized at how many sps tanks there are. I keep hearing from the stores that nobody is into sps and they don't like bringing it in. I thank them for thinking that, it helps my frag sales.:mrgreen:

I hear this too, which I agree is odd. Oh well, I have no complaints about buying off you. The stuff that comes out of your tank is...well um WOW!

Snappy
10-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I hear this too, which I agree is odd. Oh well, I have no complaints about buying off you. The stuff that comes out of your tank is...well um WOW!
:mrgreen: Thanks Catherine.

justinl
10-02-2007, 12:25 AM

Well yeah around here, youd get a higher amount of people with sps dominated tanks. sps are more "challenging" and so more "advanced" aquarists will take it on. canreef and boards like us will always have a higher amount of advanced keepers with "beginners" coming and going and not really posting heavily. However the "beginners" of the hobby are greatly underrespresented around here. think about it. there are a LOT of people who have set up their tanks to be as easy to maintain as possible... and they'll tell their lfs so. so they end up with softie and possibly lps dominated tanks... i cant imagine an lfs recommending an sps tank for a beginner can you?

sorry, i just got out of my statistics course... lurking variables, correlation and causation oh my!

Snappy
10-02-2007, 02:36 AM
Well yeah around here, youd get a higher amount of people with sps dominated tanks. sps are more "challenging" and so more "advanced" aquarists will take it on. canreef and boards like us will always have a higher amount of advanced keepers with "beginners" coming and going and not really posting heavily. However the "beginners" of the hobby are greatly underrespresented around here. think about it. there are a LOT of people who have set up their tanks to be as easy to maintain as possible... and they'll tell their lfs so. so they end up with softie and possibly lps dominated tanks... i cant imagine an lfs recommending an sps tank for a beginner can you?

sorry, i just got out of my statistics course... lurking variables, correlation and causation oh my!
Interestingly enough, I have had a lot of newcomers asking me for sps frags but I do understand the other side of the equation you are getting at. Although there's still a lot of people who are experienced that just aren't into sps because they think they're boring. (myself I don't get that, but to each is own) I also like softies and LPS so I have them too.:wink:

danny zubot
10-02-2007, 06:02 AM
My choosing SPS in the polls was primarily based on the number of different species I have. Many of my SPS corals are still considered frag sized, but I have more of them. My LPS and softies are bigger corals and tend to be more apparent than much of the SPS frags so I could have voted the other way. The swing vote was my caps which are even more apparent in my tank than anything else, so SPS dominated it is I guess.

Aquattro
10-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Also, as far as SPS retail sales go, I imagine it's pretty low. I know myself, I much prefer to buy a frag off of a hobbyist for $10-$30 than pay upwards of $100 for a retail colony. With proper conditions, the frag will be a colony in 3 months anyway, and from local tanks you have a better idea of what it will look like. The newcomers to the hobby are buying softies and zoos from the LFS because they're new and haven't met trading partners yet.

tang daddy
10-04-2007, 01:52 AM
I have recently been stocking up on sps, sold most of my lps because of room issues. Begginers are fond of nice colour and size which most softies offer, but for me I've definately slanted toward sps how many here can say when they look at a nice piece of sps their heart goes soft and feel this overwhelming joy?

Scavenger
10-04-2007, 01:54 AM
I didn't see a catagory for "pathetic, hair algae farm" so I didn't vote :(

Johnny Reefer
10-04-2007, 02:12 AM
I didn't see a catagory for "pathetic, hair algae farm" so I didn't vote :(
:lol: . I hear you. If Aiptasia farm were listed, then I could vote too.

JHG
03-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Softies rule! :)

Lance
03-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Softies & LPS. Only because the tank has been up for only 4 months. The few SPS frags are new (2 weeks), and seem to be doing well. If they continue growing well I will be adding more soon. Right now my favourite in the tank is a torch coral that is about 6" across.