PDA

View Full Version : Generator

David
09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
How many of you guys have a generator to protect your investment? I don’t, but thinking of getting one. BTW, what kind/model of generator do you have if you have one?

justinl
09-18-2007, 05:51 PM
well to be honest i dont think that winter in Vancouver is bad enough to really warrant a generator (unless you have a wad of dough sitting around... which i dont). outages usually dont go over a few hours around here ime.

for back up, i use one of those computer UPS back up batteries. it would probably run a pump (which is all that's needed in an emergency) for a fair amount of time. the nice thing about the UPS is that it will run automatically in an outage. a generator on the other hand would have to be started manually. that said, if you can afford a generator, definitely go for it.

Ruth
09-18-2007, 07:29 PM
I have a generator as a backup. I get more than the average amount of power outages as I live in the tulies however my comment would be to really think about how much you have invested in your tank and then decide for yourself if a generator is warrented. You can pick up a pretty cheap generator for a few hundred $ at Costco. I have a larger generator as I also use it for camping. If noise is a consideration I would highly recommend the Honda generator (you can get a variety of sizes) I actually have 2 Honda generators - a 3000w and a 5000w. The 3000w is extremely quiet - you can stand over and have a conversation - and the 5000 is a bit louder but still not bad at all.
Also, if you do a search on here there have been a number of threads on the benifits and downside of generators.

mark
09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Got a 800w generator from Princess Auto for $139.00.

In the unlikely event the power stays off long enough for me to get things set up, the 800watts is plenty to keep things warm and aerated.

It's not that loud, at least no louder than the neighbour's riced up 350Z.

cprowler
09-18-2007, 09:38 PM
2800w for $300 at Costco, well worth it IMO.

http://oceanv.net/zld/reef/gen01.jpg

marie
09-18-2007, 09:50 PM
My husband gave me a honda generator for a B-day present a couple of years ago. I've only needed to use it once so far but the peace of mind is priceless :biggrin:

Pan
09-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I have a generator as a backup. I get more than the average amount of power outages as I live in the tulies however my comment would be to really think about how much you have invested in your tank and then decide for yourself if a generator is warrented. You can pick up a pretty cheap generator for a few hundred $ at Costco. I have a larger generator as I also use it for camping. If noise is a consideration I would highly recommend the Honda generator (you can get a variety of sizes) I actually have 2 Honda generators - a 3000w and a 5000w. The 3000w is extremely quiet - you can stand over and have a conversation - and the 5000 is a bit louder but still not bad at all.
Also, if you do a search on here there have been a number of threads on the benifits and downside of generators.
For camping?!! what about being one with nature! :)
i use solar panels :) chipmunks LIKE me....

Ruth
09-19-2007, 01:19 AM
For camping?!! what about being one with nature! :)
i use solar panels :) chipmunks LIKE me....

They like me too 'cause I usually feed them.:biggrin:
I travel a lot going to horse shows with my nags and my horse trailer has living quarters in it. This summer in Montana where I was showing it was 48C - or friggin hot! I could have kissed my generator that ran my air conditioning unit. I leave my trailer at my trainers barn in Edmonton and stay in it in when I am down there to work with him. I have saved much $$$ on hotel rooms - but there was frost the other weekend so I could use a small heater and also run my furnace without killing my battery. I have solar panels as well which just may charge the battery enough after a full day of sun to run the lights for 4 hours.
Back to fish tanks - my power was out for 3 days a couple of years ago and I would have completely lost 2 large tanks without a generator.
My generator(s) have already paid for themselves.

Aquattro
09-19-2007, 02:00 AM
I have an inverter that I can hook to my car. 700w is enough for a heater and a power head. I've never lost power for more than 2 hours though...

StirCrazy
09-20-2007, 02:30 AM
I have an inverter that I can hook to my car. 700w is enough for a heater and a power head. I've never lost power for more than 2 hours though...

must be nice, we lost it for over 15 hours this last winter and several other time for 2 to 5 hours. If i still had the tank I would have installed the 15KW whole house back up, but the tank is gone and I have a fire place for the people.

Steve

untamed
09-21-2007, 05:05 AM
well to be honest i dont think that winter in Vancouver is bad enough to really warrant a generator (unless you have a wad of dough sitting around... which i dont). outages usually dont go over a few hours around here imo......

Ha..ha..short memory. Sounds like you got off pretty lucky last year. Some of my friends were without power for 4+ days last year.

I don't have one yet, but intend to get one before winter sets in.

iansfishy
09-21-2007, 06:19 AM
1800 watt UBPS at Crappy Tire for 320.00 till the 28th. runs most of your tank for around three hours. kicks in as soon as the power goes out so you dont have to be home. and no generator noise or smell.

Chaloupa
09-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I was just looking at the flyer with the one from Canadian Tire...I think I am getting it for the "just in case" scenario....I would hate to lose anything and for the piece of mind....it just makes sense!

David
09-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Last week Canadian Tire 1200 W for $199. Save $100. But 2 days only Sept 14 and 15 only.