PDA

View Full Version : corallife skimmer

bv_reefer
09-05-2007, 02:38 AM
hello i'm starting to consider getting a new skimmer in another month or two, and was wondering if it would be worth my money to get a corallife for 65gallons to replace my seaclone 150, or would it be much better to go for a corralife for 125 gallons, again this is for a 33 gallon tank, so the real question is would the corallife 65-gallon be an improvement from a seaclone 150-gallon?

i have crabs
09-05-2007, 03:07 AM
i would look into some other brands if your gonna upgrade. ive had a coralife 125 and 220 and the 125 would overflow unexpectedly once in a while and im just not happy with the 220 just because of how well it works in the area of my sump that dosent have a consistant water level.

Chowder
09-05-2007, 03:11 AM
I would use the money to get a better used skimmer.

Static
09-05-2007, 03:13 AM
I have the 65 and maintaining a consistent water level is crucial for it to work. In reality it probably only works for a bout half a day at a time, right after I top up. If you have it installed in a sump, or have an auto top off, then it should work better.

I've still been fairly happy with my 65, it's on a 20gal tank, with only a clown, and yellow tail damsel, and it's able to keep up with that bioload fairly well.

bv_reefer
09-05-2007, 03:38 AM
well i'm currently looking around for a good used one, but if i don't find any i think i'll jst go for the 65 because it's a soft coral tank so it doesn't need amazing skimming really. hey what do you meen by it overflows once in a while for the 125-gallon model?

Static
09-05-2007, 04:04 AM
If you get behind on your maintenance the venturi that draws air into the pump can get clogged with salt creep, and the pump will draw only water and become far more efficient. Next thing you know the water level in your skimmer rises, and can easily overflow the collection cup.

bv_reefer
09-05-2007, 04:19 AM
ya thats one thing i've read about the coralife super skimmers, alot of maintenance, but thats ok i work on my tank everyday so whats an extra 20 minutes for some quick skimmer maintenance every couple of days:lol:, anyways thanks alot for the quick replys

Chowder
09-05-2007, 04:39 AM
I found the salt creep on the 65's in the air intake worse. They seem to clog up once every month where the 125 about every three months.Not sure about the 220's never owned one. I do like the 125 over the 65 though.

bv_reefer
09-05-2007, 05:02 AM
i was looking at a coralife 65-gallon model today at the lfs skimming an anemone tank and the skimmate seemed to be popping up the collection cup at a pretty steady rate, the stuff in the cup was brownish/black, and the skimmer in general seemed to be producing way more air bubbles than a seaclone, so thats one thing that caught my eye on the 65 model..

i have crabs
09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
i woke up a couple mornings with the collection cup full and 20g of saltwater in my carpet.

digital-audiophile
09-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I have been using a CSS for over a year now and allthough not the best skimmer it does what it is supposed to. I tear it down once a week at water change and that seems to keep it level. I will upgrade in the future though because I know this is not the right skimmer to be using long term. If you are looking for something quick and chap this is the right unit, if you want more of a long term skimmer, I would save up for something better.

RicePaddy
09-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I have a Coralife 125 skimmer and I also have problems with it overflowing from time to time. Was away for holidays for three days and came back to a salty wet floor. I have since placed some towels between the unit and the outside of the sump in the hopes that the overflow flows back into the sump.

What brands of skimmers would a person recommed for a 65gal or a 150gal tank.

Will

scuglass
09-05-2007, 06:08 PM
I have the largest one... i think 220 and its a piece... i guess for the price it does whats expected but the venturi clogs all the time... i just ripped the thing out and put an air pump right into the intake of the pump. the smallest adjustment to the knob any your either 10'' below the cup or overflowing. i have it in the first part of my sump where the water level is consistent and it still decides to overflow sometimes.... save your money and buy something better.

bv_reefer
09-06-2007, 12:51 AM
after hearing how much it overflows and how much fine-tuning it needs i think i'll just save up and get something better, the one i'm currently looking at is a red sea prizm pro hang-on skimmer which is supposedly rated for 200 gallons but i'm sure you can easily divide that by 3, anyone have any good/bad experiences with these~?

albert_dao
09-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Also garbage.

I'm betting there will be some good stuff after MACNA.

PoonTang
09-06-2007, 02:58 AM
after hearing how much it overflows and how much fine-tuning it needs i think i'll just save up and get something better, the one i'm currently looking at is a red sea prizm pro hang-on skimmer which is supposedly rated for 200 gallons but i'm sure you can easily divide that by 3, anyone have any good/bad experiences with these~?

Ive used one...their as useless as a sea clone. Are you buying a hang on or a sump model? If you can afford it then buy a Euro Reef or something even better.

scuglass
09-06-2007, 03:26 AM
yeah they are also worthless... if i were to do it again.. id for sure just run a piece of garbage for a few more months and save up the extra $$ (telling myself im saving up for something allows me to justify it more.. rather than dipping into the savings then replenishing :P) for a beauty of a skimmer...

bv_reefer
09-06-2007, 03:52 AM
i've narrowed my search down to a tunze nano DOC protein skimmer-9002 >http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=tz-ps9002

the other option is the aqua c remora nano hang-on skimmer >http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=ps-acre

Moogled
09-06-2007, 04:20 AM
bv_reefer, go with the Aqua C Remora.

Many people on this board have used them on small tanks and the only times I've seen them being sold is when people are upgrading. It's a pretty decent skimmer especially if you can find a used one for ~100 bucks.

albert_dao
09-06-2007, 04:34 AM
You can also overdrive the Remora with a larger pump (350+ gph) without fear of it overflowing.

bv_reefer
09-06-2007, 04:42 AM
thanks for all the great replys, i'll start looking for a used aqua c remora nano