PDA

View Full Version : Who uses quarantine tanks?

surgeonfish
08-18-2007, 08:06 PM
We all have read about the benefits of a quarantine tank when introducing new livestock into our aquariums. However, it can be a hassle to set up such a tank. I felt it was time for a new poll and want to know who actually uses a quarantine tank, what they quarantine and for how long.

I can't even reach the bottom of my tank and find it very difficult to remove anything once introduced into my system. Therefore, I want to be confident that what ever goes into my tank is as healthy as possible and hopefully free of disease. Therefore, I have a 44 gal quarantine tank constantly stocked and running and add new fish and inverts for 2-3 weeks. I don't have strong lighting on the quarantine tanks and thus add corals directly to the main tank (probably should also quarantine and/or dip).

justinl
08-18-2007, 08:17 PM
i QT and dip. i mean really, the dip takes at the most ten minutes. real easy and a precaution that we should all be taking.

for while i didnt bother QTing and then i ended up getting a bad case of ich and ended up with a tank full of dead fish. ever since, ive been kicking myself for being stupid enough to take that risk in the first place.

hawk
08-18-2007, 08:34 PM
I Qt all fish, if for one reason or another qt has to be cut short I'll treat prophylactically. Corals get dip and qt.

surgeonfish
08-18-2007, 08:35 PM
i QT and dip. i mean really, the dip takes at the most ten minutes. real easy and a precaution that we should all be taking.

How do you do your dip? Does anyone use any commercial products?

Der_Iron_Chef
08-18-2007, 08:38 PM
A Lugol's dip?

Parker
08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
In the past I didn't QT anything. I recently went through a bout of ICH and lost my Regal. I have since learnt my lesson and now have a QT. My justification for not having was it's only a 75 I can get a fish out without a problem..while true, I had no where to put it! Now that I recently upgraded to a large tank, I won't take the risk of putting anything in that hasn't been QT'ed. I simply won't be able to get things out as easily.

hawk
08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
How do you do your dip? Does anyone use any commercial products?

For corals I have used Lugols. It's not a complete answer but what it does do is make the parasites if any leave the coral. You can then at least see/identify them in the dip container and proceed accordingly. My last few frags I used TMPCC as a dip rather than Lugol's but same idea.. For fish I have used Formalin, Prazipro and fresh water.

i have crabs
08-18-2007, 09:02 PM
after killing a whole tank full of fish everything goes in the qt

andrewsk
08-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I use a QT tank as well. I cannot imagine killing my fish due to my impatience.

justinl
08-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I just do a standard freshwater dip. mind you, lugol's would be nice, but i think the FW dip is sufficient. oh, and i dip before and after QT.

michika
08-18-2007, 11:46 PM
I dip all my frags going in, and if I can, I dip them on the way out as well. I use Tropic Marin Coral Pro Cure, and Interceptor (only if I feel a need, and only on incoming frags). I never used to dip frags, but after a complete tank wipe out, frags, and fish in 2005 due to red bugs, I am compulsive about it.

I don't currently use QT because I'm not adding anything anymore, and I have a severe space restriction. However, I used to QT and did hyposalinity on fish when possible.

Reefer Rob
08-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Fish get quarantine.

Acros get quarantine and red bug treatment.

All my corals are going to get Flatworm Exit as well from now on.

michika
08-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Fish get quarantine.

Acros get quarantine and red bug treatment.

All my corals are going to get Flatworm Exit as well from now on.

I assume all the treatments are for incoming corals? May I ask what using Flatworm Exit is like?

Reefer Rob
08-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I assume all the treatments are for incoming corals? May I ask what using Flatworm Exit is like?

I just did it yesterday. Cost me my White Cheek Tang:cry: Multiply the number of flatworms you can see by 2 or 3 hundred to give you the total number in your tank.

I thought I was witnessing the end of my tank. I'm going to do another treatment next Saturday to make sure I got them all. I hope I never see the little buggers again! From now on everything incoming will be treated.

Cryptocaryon, Red Bugs, Flatworms. Sometimes I wonder why I keep an aquarium! The only line of defense is quarantine to keep them all out.

michika
08-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. So your treating your whole tank right now with flatworm exit, and then from now on you'll treat each individual incoming coral?

Reefer Rob
08-19-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. So your treating your whole tank right now with flatworm exit, and then from now on you'll treat each individual incoming coral?

That's the plan.

mseepman
08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Where do you get your flatworm exit. I understand it doesn't meet Canadian standards for "drugs" and therefore most stores don't sell it. J&L has pulled it too.

Gordon H
08-20-2007, 12:18 AM
I had been using a quarantine for about six months, and then was advised against it by my LFS. It appeared that about 1/3 of the peopleworking at the LFS did baths and used a quarantine and the other 2/3 did not. I discussed the issue at length with a group of people working at the LFS and at the end of the day, concluded that I would not dip or use a QT. While everything on the Internet and in the books strongly suggests a quarantine, the arguments against using one seem equally as strong. The main argument is that the strongest determinant of fish health is water quality and that it is almost impossible to get as good a water quality in your QT as it is in your display tank. Unless you are willing to basically duplicate the equipment from your display on your QT, you might be doing the fish more harm than good by using a QT. This seems to be the conclusion reached by most of the people working at the LFS.

Am I the only one that has come to this same conclusion? Not according to the results of the poll ;-)

marie
08-20-2007, 12:46 AM
I had been using a quarantine for about six months, and then was advised against it by my LFS. It appeared that about 1/3 of the peopleworking at the LFS did baths and used a quarantine and the other 2/3 did not. I discussed the issue at length with a group of people working at the LFS and at the end of the day, concluded that I would not dip or use a QT. While everything on the Internet and in the books strongly suggests a quarantine, the arguments against using one seem equally as strong. The main argument is that the strongest determinant of fish health is water quality and that it is almost impossible to get as good a water quality in your QT as it is in your display tank. Unless you are willing to basically duplicate the equipment from your display on your QT, you might be doing the fish more harm than good by using a QT. This seems to be the conclusion reached by most of the people working at the LFS.

Am I the only one that has come to this same conclusion? Not according to the results of the poll ;-)

To me the biggest reason to quarantine new fish is to protect the fish that you already have in your tank. If I hadn't quarantined my achilles tang I would of lost all of my fish to marine velvet

surgeonfish
08-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Except for Gordon H, everyone posting a reply is in favor of quarantine and/or dipping, often because of personal experience. If done properly, I think the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives.

Maybe we should talk about ways to quarantine that reduce stress on the animals/corals. If done poorly, it may just add more stress to the anima or coral. I am always worried about plopping a fish into a newly set up quarantine tank with the potential added stress of the tank cycling. Therefore, I have a 44 gal tank always running with a filter, protein skimmer, and a few permanent resident fish. As a result, the quarantine tank is already stable. I do weekly water changes, alternating between new SW and water from the main tank. Before moving a fish out of the quarantine tank, I will do additional water changes using water from the main tank so the water in both tanks is as similar as possible. However, this requires additional time to keep the quarantine tank running constantly; but personally I think it provides the least amount of stress on new arrivals.

michika
08-20-2007, 03:45 AM
I agree with you Shane, we should have a thread, or even a sticky about how to QT or dip fish/corals with the least amount of stress as possible.

EmilyB
08-20-2007, 04:39 AM
No, not according to the results of the poll. However, it is difficult to condone not Qt'ing or whatever that dipping thing is..:lol:

I don't QT. In fact, I bought a fish with full blown ick and threw it into my reef tank, knowing that good food, good water quality, etc. would cure it in a hurry. And it did, because my existing fish were healthy.

However, for the new people, who rarely let their tank mature before adding yet another fish, or adding fish that do not suit the environment, this is not an option.

:biggrin:

hawk
08-20-2007, 06:31 AM
I don't QT. In fact, I bought a fish with full blown ick and threw it into my reef tank, knowing that good food, good water quality, etc. would cure it in a hurry. And it did, because my existing fish were healthy.

Not trying to be argumentative and glad it worked out for you, but IMO probably not the best idea to expose a healthy tank to a known diseased fish. Skipping qt and dealing with ick is one thing but what would you have done if the fish had flukes or velvet?, neither of which have visible symptoms in the early stages.
The good water, stress free environment argument is often used as a reason not to qt but unfortunately poor conditions can arise in any system at anytime ie. holidays, power outages, equipment failure, work, sickness etc. The key is to keep the disease out of the display in the first place.
There is no reason a properly set-up qt should be a stressful environment nor should it get the blame for a fish death. If a fish dies in qt, there was something wrong with it and better it dies in qt rather than the display. If a healthy fish dies in qt, then there was something wrong with the qt procedure. I agree with Marie, the reason I qt is to protect my display, the many benefits to the new fish are secondary.

Pier Pressure
08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
It is quite interesting that everyone writing in is all for QT and dipping and yet the results of the poll suggest most people do not do it.

If you only use a tank for QT - how do you keep the cycle running and the water quality good?

Chowder
08-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey mseepman you can get flatworm exit at Ocean Aquatics. Last time I was there he had about 4 boxes.

marie
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
It is quite interesting that everyone writing in is all for QT and dipping and yet the results of the poll suggest most people do not do it.

If you only use a tank for QT - how do you keep the cycle running and the water quality good?

At the moment I have live rock in mine and I'm not planning on getting fish anytime soon but when i was stocking with fish I kept some sponges for a HOB filter in the sump of my display tank to keep them seeded.
When I was expecting a new fish I would fill the QT with fresh saltwater, put the sponges in the filter and if I had a few days before the fish arrived I would add a few mysis shrimp to keep the bacteria fed.

EmilyB
08-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Skipping qt and dealing with ick is one thing but what would you have done if the fish had flukes or velvet?, neither of which have visible symptoms in the early stages.

I've always bought fish from reliable sources, so I can't say I've ever run into a problem like that, well at least for eight years now.

Reefer Rob
08-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I've always bought fish from reliable sources, so I can't say I've ever run into a problem like that, well at least for eight years now.

No such luck on the west coast. Fish go through the shops so quick 3/4 of them have disease or they're too stressed from transport to put directly in my display with a bunch of crazed territorial maniacs.

surgeonfish
08-22-2007, 02:58 AM

I am only aware of one LFS that quarantines all their fish and won't let you buy them until "after" the 2 week quarantine period. Ideally, I like to observe fish over several weeks at the LFS before buying them. However, most of the fish I want are snatched up quickly. I also live out of town and only make it into Calgary every few months.

Aquattro
08-22-2007, 06:23 PM
You need a "only quarantine/dip corals" option for me.....

christyf5
08-22-2007, 06:25 PM

same here, no problems. I also keep a neon goby in the tank in case of ick breakouts (nothing major so far, knock on wood)>

Snappy
08-22-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't get a lot of new fish anymore and the corals get a bath before going into my system.

fishoholic
08-23-2007, 02:12 AM
If I get a fish from a reliable source then no I don't QT it. However if I get a fish from a LFS and don't know how long it's been there or what the fish might of been exposed to I QT it.

Salinity Now
08-23-2007, 04:32 AM
I voted for quarantine and dipping. All of my fish go into a 10gal quarantine tank, which allows me to observe anything out of the ordinary. If I notice ich, etc. they'll then get transferred into my hospital tank that is kept at a salinity between 12-14 for a minimum of 6weeks. I have not ever had ich in my display tank!

All corals get a lugols dip and a freshwater dip (as per Eric Boremans recommendations). They then go into the quarantine tank for a minimum of 6weeks for observation. I have never had any red bugs, aptasia, nudibranchs, etc.... in my display tank.

In my experience the hardest part is the waiting game, but it sure is worth it.

whosinpower
09-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi all;

Newbie here just in the process of setting up a saltwater tank - reef with a few fish.
I'm filling the tank as we speak with RO water.
Liverock arrives late next week.
I'm going to cycle with liverock and had anticipated 4-6 weeks wait time, give or take.

I read all the posts about quarentine and it got me to thinking that perhaps I should have a small tank set up as well as a quarentine tank when the day comes that I can finally have livestock. I think I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Anyhow - my question is this - would it be wise for me to set up the quarentine tank at the same time, so that when my display tank is cycled, then the quarentine tank will also be cycled and ready to receive stock????

Or....would it be ok if I put some filter media in the sump of the display tank while it was cycling and when the cycle was complete....then drain some display tank water into the quarentine tank with the seeded filter media? Would that work, or would I still have a cycle to deal with in the quarentine tank????

Reefer Rob
09-18-2007, 11:25 PM
I keep a filter sponge in my sump. When I go to the fish store I make sure I have a water change ready to go. If I find a fish (or coral) that I like, I do a water change while the animal is acclimatising and use the old water in the quarantine. The sponge goes into the filter, and by this time the animal is ready to go in the quarantine tank. I always keep an ammonia alert on the front of my quarantine just in case.

reefjunkie73
04-21-2008, 01:47 AM
isnt the stress of moving a fish from qt to display enough to cause an ich outbreak

marie
04-21-2008, 02:07 AM
isnt the stress of moving a fish from qt to display enough to cause an ich outbreak

The whole point of a QT tank is to kill the Ich so you never have to worry about an outbreak again

Pan
04-21-2008, 02:28 AM
If a fish has ich putting a net in the water can make the condition flare.

Pan
04-21-2008, 02:29 AM
The whole point of a QT tank is to kill the Ich so you never have to worry about an outbreak again
Yeah thats the idea.... :)

marie
04-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Yeah thats the idea.... :)

Worked so far for me (knock on wood) :mrgreen:

I haven't been quarantining snails and hermit crabs, I'm praying that bad habit doesn't come and bite me in the butt one day :redface: but I'm 2 years ich free

Doo
04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi all

Can someone explian in detail how to do this and what products you need - if any?

Maybe this should be a new thread...

Thank you :)

Lance
04-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I QT all fish and inverts. Never want to go through Ich in the DT again! (The QT is a permanent set-up with live rock, sand bed, HOB filter, etc.) All new fish go in here for 3 weeks. If I spot a problem the fish goes into a 10 gal treatment tank, and is treated accordingly. This way new healthy fish have a decent place to spend their QT time. If treatment is required, the treatment tank is set up with seeded filter media for the HOB and a few pieces of PVC hiding places on the bb. I haven't been QT'ing corals; just a dip with Seachem Reef Dip.

michika
04-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi all

Can someone explian in detail how to do this and what products you need - if any?

Maybe this should be a new thread...

Thank you :)

Do you mean for fish, or corals? Its different for each. Can you be more specific?

Buccaneer
02-09-2009, 06:46 AM
So I was reading a thread on RC of a guy setting up a 600G tank and he linked to a QT process explained in detail .. I would say they make a compelling arguement to QT every fish

here is a exerpt from the QT thread ...

A QUARANTINE PROCESS FOR FISH

There are almost as many different quarantine processes as there are aquarists in the hobby for more than 10 years. About the only thing there are more of are uninformed hobbyists who claim a quarantine is bad for fish, or who don't want to spend the time, or inaccurately claim not all fish can or should be quarantined, or who don't want to spend the $40. for a quarantine kit, or who don't believe it is necessary, or who believe that a healthy fish can survive any disease or parasite.

We, the Old Guard, for the most part know better. I wrote . . .more than 10 years because if you've been in the hobby that long, you've come to realize that performing a quarantine process is essential to good marine husbandry. The smarter aquarists know this from the outset and began using a quarantine process from the first day in the hobby! http://www.reefland.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

What good is a quarantine process? There's a whole list that a quarantine process will:
1) Further acclimate the fish to captive life without being bothered by other fishes;
2) Get the fish to eat without it 'running away' and hiding;
3) Get the fish on the right foods and nutrients;
4) Allow the fish to eat without competition;
5) Give the fish a chance to recognize and become acclimated to the aquarist;
6) Give the fish a chance to heal any capture or travel injury or trauma;
7) Give the fish a chance to recover from any condition or disease;
8) Prepare the fish for a more competitive life in the community/reef tank; and
9) Protect the health of the display tank livestock.

Maybe you can think of more advantages/benefits of a quarantine process? I think the best phrase I have ever seen another person post was, "Quarantine provides a new fish sanctuary."

you can read the entire thread here ...

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/19255-fish-quarantine-process.html

and stocking the marine fish medicine chest

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/18893-stocking-marine-fish-medicine-cabinet.html

BlueAbyss
02-09-2009, 07:40 AM
No, not according to the results of the poll. However, it is difficult to condone not Qt'ing or whatever that dipping thing is..:lol:

However, for the new people, who rarely let their tank mature before adding yet another fish, or adding fish that do not suit the environment, this is not an option.

This is what I would do, I'm sort of a risk taker:lol:... But I totally am with you, almost any illness can be cured with high quality food and water and an otherwise healthy environment.

By keeping a few resident fish in there? Something cheap, like a couple chromis or something else that's not territorial. I'm pretty sure that if I had a QT or ever need one it will also have to be attractive, unless I someday have the space for a fish room. So live rock, a few fish, some macro, well lit. New fish would go in there for no less than 6 weeks.

Hi all;

Newbie here just in the process of setting up a saltwater tank - reef with a few fish.
I'm filling the tank as we speak with RO water.
Liverock arrives late next week.
I'm going to cycle with liverock and had anticipated 4-6 weeks wait time, give or take.

I read all the posts about quarentine and it got me to thinking that perhaps I should have a small tank set up as well as a quarentine tank when the day comes that I can finally have livestock. I think I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Anyhow - my question is this - would it be wise for me to set up the quarentine tank at the same time, so that when my display tank is cycled, then the quarentine tank will also be cycled and ready to receive stock????

Or....would it be ok if I put some filter media in the sump of the display tank while it was cycling and when the cycle was complete....then drain some display tank water into the quarentine tank with the seeded filter media? Would that work, or would I still have a cycle to deal with in the quarentine tank????

Hey man, just a thought... if you are just starting out, you aren't at the point that you need a QT yet, since there are no fish in your display yet. If you are just cycling the tank with your live rock, I would recommend that you wait 4 weeks, get your clean up crew installed, wait another 2 weeks and then add your first fish (or 3). Test, test, TEST after you add anything new to your tank... and then once everything is established, start your QT tank using stuff from your tank. Do maintain the water in your QT to the standards of your display, your fish will thank you for it by surviving any infections (some of which take weeks to show up after you bring the fish home).

And where's your build thread? WE WANT PICS! :lol:

BlueAbyss
02-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Just another thought for everyone to ponder... would it be a good idea to purchase some Flatworm Exit and dip my live rock in it, to exterminate them before they even get into my tank? Or since I plan to cycle my tank with my rock, do you think that flatworms can survive a cycle? I don't ever want to have to deal with them...