PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to have a tank?

hamsik97
08-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Roughly speaking, how much do you spend on your tank (not including adding new stock etc)? Salt, filters, tests, food, chemicals etc etc?
Jenna

michika
08-06-2007, 11:18 PM
$975 was the total set up cost for my 24g nano. That figure included all equipment, tank, stand, sump, skimmer, lighting, chiller, plumbing, reactors (calcium and kalk), and timers.

The maintenance cost on my tank per month is ~$5-10/month. Most of that cost is replacing test kits as they expire, or become empty. I do not include purchasing new livestock in that number. I use so little food that the overall cost is quite small when spread over 12 months.

niloc16
08-07-2007, 12:00 AM
good god 'ol mighty, i dont even want to know. i only remember the cost of the last piece of equipment or coral i just bought, because if i kept track of everything i would probably have a heart attack.

fkshiu
08-07-2007, 12:05 AM
I believe I read someone that it costs anywhere from $25-$40 per gallon for a full blown reef - oh, dear lord I am sooooooo poor . . .

christyf5
08-07-2007, 01:03 AM
Yeah I don't want to go into what I paid for my setup either. Mind you I've done a lot of upgrading over the years and wasted a lot of money as well. :razz:

If we're talking like a monthly cost I pay about $30 a month in electricity alone. Then for test kits, salt etc it all depends on how often you do the testing, waterchanges etc. I'd say it costs me about $15 a month in test kits/salt/carbon/phosphate remover.

michika
08-07-2007, 01:55 AM
I forgot to mention that my utilities are included in my rent, but not that monthly number.

I used to pay probably $20-$30 to run my 230g display, with a total water volume just over 300g per month. It was so cheap because I'm somewhat compulsive about that whole turning off the lights and conserving water stuff.

Aquattro
08-07-2007, 04:05 AM
I had calculated the cost of a 155g to be about $125/mo. This included replacing RO membranes, bulb replacement, all supplies and additives plus power.

PoonTang
08-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Sorry...I cant telly because my wife may be watching over my shoulder:shocked!:

Der_Iron_Chef
08-07-2007, 04:22 AM
Not including livestock, my 55G cost about $800 (I got the tank and stand for free).

blaster
08-07-2007, 05:15 AM
its cheap,you should try it

fkshiu
08-07-2007, 05:26 AM

Yeah. Have a bite of this here apple, Eve - tastes real good. =)

hamsik97
08-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Yeahhhhhhh... I guess I should just get a pass to the Vancouver Aquarium for a year and go there every day or whenever I feel like looking at fish. I'm a student and an artist (what could be worse in terms of getting rich strategy!), guess it would be hard to afford a beauty :(
You guys post wonderful pictures and make me really really want one, but when I look at the hardware gallery it hurts my brain to even think about learning to operate all that. Looks WAAAAAY too complicated!
Will enjoy your pictures and my mean Betta fish :razz: :cry:
Hope one day...
Jenna

andresont
08-07-2007, 09:19 AM

LOL !

On my 108 Gal, i stopped counting after 7g's
My 66 gal now is @ 5K.
I have seen tanks above 20K and this is not something really special.
People who have expencive tank setups do NOT post here i am sure.
Ask in your LFS who's tank they look after and they will tall you how much someone can throw at the tank.

In Europe that is even more creazy.

This would lead to conclusion that people are ready to spend more. thats why we see equipment in 2-3 k range now like LED light and new skimmers line.
The 64000 $ question is what cen WE do about it?

i have crabs
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
how about your wife, friends and personal life

Der_Iron_Chef
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, you don't HAVE to spend five grand on a system. I guess it all depends on the amount of disposable income you're able to throw at it.

In the end, we all do what we can with what we have. There are a lot of items that people get to make things easier, though they're not *really* necessary.

Parker
08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
The hobby doesn't have to be overly expensive. If you have a limited budget consider buying used equipment. There are a lot of great deals to be had in the forsale section of this site. As an example I picked up a 75 gallon tank, 90 gallon tank, pc lighting for both and glass tops for both for $150.00. Just bide your time and pick things up as you can.

digital-audiophile
08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Most of the really nice big tanks come over time as well. People will upgrade to bigger tanks and re-use equipment. A lot of coral colonies start as little frags. Others will have dedicated frag tanks to grow them out and sell for cash to support thier hobby. There are losts of ways to do this on the down low without breaking the bank.

Snappy
08-07-2007, 03:54 PM
A lot depend s on the type of tank you want. Of course size but also what do you want to keep? That will dictate what you need for equipment etc.

danny zubot
08-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I always compare my expenses to that of keeping other types of pets. I don't think it's uncommon for people to spend upwards of $600-$700 anually on a dog (not including the initial purchase). Which should be roughly what I spend a year on maintaining the tank. My initial cost can't really be pinpointed though, because I'm one of those who have slowly upgraded over the years. It's not those most ecomoical way to get a big tank, but it doesn't bite your wallet so hard right off the bat.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-07-2007, 06:41 PM
It's not the hydro, salt, additives & food that is the expensive part. It's the "oh, let's visit the LFS & just take a look" visits that hurt the wallet. Often find another fish, coral (especially) or invert that you suddenly just need to have. There are very few nice, colourful specimens you can add to your tank for less than $30, so it can get expensive stocking a tank real fast, unless you're patient enough to go the "grow-out your own frags" route.

Anthony

RicePaddy
08-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I have spent about 4K on my system to date. But I bought all brand new equipment and did not look for deals. I just recently picked up HQI PC hood and saved myself $500.00 by looking for the best deal. All this takes time but with this hobby patience is a virtue. If you take your time, you can find some real good deals while building up your reef slowly. They say your tank matures in about a year so for a good 12 months you can take your time and watch your fishes while you dream about the beautiful coral you want to purchase.

Happy Reefing!!!

Will

hawk
08-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I think $45-50 a gallon, before livestock and for average basic new equipment is usually a pretty close estimate.

Johnny Reefer
08-07-2007, 08:09 PM
.....It's the "oh, let's visit the LFS & just take a look" visits that hurt the wallet. .....
Yes, this can be dangerous. Last time I went to an LFS was to check out a new shipment. Before I went I had a modest $40 budget in mind (for 1 item). While there, I found myself calculating in my head up to $160 (for 4 items). Then I started asking prices. Thankfully the minimum for each specimen of the new shipment was $125. I was out the door faster than I could say "I'll be back. I forgot my wallet". I suppose some people may have that kind of money, but not me.

michika
08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
"oh, let's visit the LFS & just take a look"

For me its other people's tanks that do me in. People have the most amazing sps, and livestock in their tanks. I have spent more with other reefers on frags and livestock in the past 3 months then I have on equipment and livestock purchases from LFSs.

I'm happy to say though that when I sell off some of my frags or equipment I just recycle the money, and use it to purchase new frags for grow out and re-sale. I'm happy to say I've reached a point where my tank is mostly self-sustaining financially.

danny zubot
08-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm happy to say I've reached a point where my tank is mostly self-sustaining financially.

Wanna help supliment my tank?:mrgreen:

hamsik97
08-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I wasn't even considering buying anything new, including livestock, all used. Everytime I see someone selling two clowns for like $25 I wanna run and grab them. So I was going to spend like $300 on a used tank with everything in it and sloooowly fill it with "used" fish and corals. But when people say they spent $125 per month on salt and filters.... yeah, too much for me.
Quite a few people said I should get a 55-65 gal tank because it's easier to maintain.
Jenna

hamsik97
08-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I want I nice one :) Willing to wait forever for a deal, but want corals, clams, anemones, shrimps and clowns :) Really wanted a powder tang, but won't have enough space for him to swim, so no tang for me.
Jenna

michika
08-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Wanna help supliment my tank?:mrgreen:

:lol:

kwirky
08-10-2007, 06:17 AM

agreed ;)

whatcaneyedo
08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I've priced everything out in lists before and I came up with about $300 for the 25gal $2000 to setup my 50gal and $5000 for my 120gal it all depends on what you want to keep. For a full blown reef tank with skimmer, MH lights, and lots of flow I'd say $50 per gallon.

super7
08-20-2007, 06:49 AM

I wish:sad:

65 half set up $1000

Chowder
08-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a 65 gallon and no idea how much I have put into it in the last two and a half years. I started out with a softie tank and PC's and now have all SPS ,Rics ,some zoos , clams, metal halides, Sump , internall overflow, Calcium reactor, and a ever changing list of fish and corals. Apperently I get bored with certain pieces or I keep finding nicer pieces and have to make room for them. All I'm saying is I don't think you can put a price on it because you will always have different ideas on how you want your tank to look. Also there is a ever changing varriety of fish and corals that make you want to buy more. Keep it simple and try to go to a LFS only when you need something not because you need something to do. Going to a LFS just to look is a mith and you will always leave with something.

michika
08-20-2007, 03:57 PM
When I set up my 24g nano, I bought almost everything second hand, and it worked out great for me. Okay I admit I did have to wait for the right pieces of equipment to become available, but in the end it was worth it. If your patient you can get almost anything for a good price, frags and fish included!