PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Turbelle Stream

Bryan
12-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Anybody have one of these pumps or seen one in action. J & L is now stocking them. Was thinking of trying the reeftec, but after exchange, shipping, buying a pump, it's probably not that far off from the turbelle.

wayner
12-30-2002, 03:55 PM
Bryan:

Go to Reef Central & do a search on Tunze Stream, there suppose to be amazing, but depending on the size of your tank may be too strong, the other thing is there not meant to be put on a wavemaker.

There coming out with smaller version in the new year, I beleive there's a guy on Reef Central with a 120 that finds it too strong, there's a model above the stream which comes with a controller where the flow can be controlled, but I think there alot more money.

Aquattro
12-30-2002, 04:11 PM
There is a lot of info in the vendor forum (Tunze) on RC

Doug
01-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks Brad. I just read most of it. Thinking of ordering the 6080 for my tank. Should be ok on a 6ft. 225g. Also, I have a GeoMarine crushed coral bed, instead of sand, about 2in. deep. That should withstand the force of the current.

A better question would be, what the heck the fish will think about 2000gph of water coming them?

Aquattro
01-03-2003, 11:02 PM
I thinkmy fish will love it!! Maybe not the chromis so much, but the tangs fur sure!!
I still haven't decided on the 6080 or the 6110 kit. I like the idea of the variable speed.

Doug
01-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Hi Brad,
I will answer your question from the other forum, over here. :) They look pretty impressive. Seems like they move a lot of water. I like the idea of them, for one main reason. I can go sumpless. :)

As I run a scrubber direct into the tank, the sump was just for my skimmer. I sold my beckett, so currently skimmerless. I create a pretty good current with my pumps though. I run a Mak4 return, which pumps from a 1in. outlet in one direction. I have another Mak4 on a closed loop, feeding a 1in. in the other direction. No powerheads. I have a 3MD, that I was thinking of adding on a closed loop, with the returns down behind the reef, with elbows flowing water under it and across the bed to the front.

However, those are 100w pumps as compared with the Tunze. I dont know the wattage, but assume its pretty low and moves as much water as both my Mak4 pumps. :)

I was thinking of the 6080 from one end and the scrubber surge on the other. Thats all I would use. I may even add a Tunze 230 skimmer{in the tank}, to assist the scrubber.

Just need to figure out how to plumb the reactor. :? I dont know if there would be much benefit in putting the stream pump on the end where my closed loop is and leaving everything else the same. {6080 on one end & the Mak4 return on the other, except a small power saving as the pair of Mak,s create a good current.

Aquattro
01-04-2003, 01:47 AM
Thanks Doug. On the power thing, I believe the 6080 consumes 14 or 18w...it's listed on the Tunze site.
My only concern is whether a one-sided flow pattern would affect the SPS and force them to grow sideways!
I have to give serious thought to the 6110 kit, as that one has a variable speed and can be pulsed with the controller.
One of the SPS keepers on this forum bought one, so I'm hoping a review is forthcoming :D
I'll probably drop in at J&L on Monday, so if they have any instock, I'll see if they'll drop one in a tank for a demo!!

Doug
01-04-2003, 01:05 PM
8) 18watts and over 2000gph. Thats reason enough alone. Going to have a look at the 6110 kits today.

Doug
01-04-2003, 01:18 PM
:shock: $500 for a single controller. Plus the pump, makes about $800.

stephane
01-04-2003, 03:44 PM
I look at them my self but they are to pricy$ and on ting that bug me is the motor is still in the tank like a power head and Im afraid to found
sand every were :lol: that southound is realy easy to get all over the place

stephane
01-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Im now tinking of adding two of those http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3510

on a mag18 and put all the plumbing and the mag on the top of the tank
with only the intake of the mag inside the tank I will include a valve on the systeme to recharge the pump in water

Aquattro
01-04-2003, 04:21 PM
:shock: $500 for a single controller. Plus the pump, makes about $800.Doug, J&L has the 6110 kit for $489. This is the single controller and the 6100 pump.

Doug
01-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Brad, guess I read wrong. Never knew the pump was included in the kit. I was just reading info on a Tunze site. That is not to bad then. Actually when compared with other systems, its pretty good.

Stephane, agreed its in the tank. But unless its a problem with looking at it, I dont see another. I sure its more than safe, being a Tunze.

Aquattro
01-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Just an FYI, but I was talking to someone that got the 6110 kit for his 120g tank and felt he needed a second. If you decide to get one, I think J&L is going to have a waiting list. More demand than supply right now!!

Doug
01-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Ok, I went back to read somemore. I just assumed the kit came with the 6080, but I see its different.

Am I seeing wrong. It says 3175gph. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thats not enough for a 120. I lost something here. First reports say the 6080 @ 2250gph was to much for a 4ft. tank.

I relize the 6110 can be controlled, but how is 3175gph not enough?

Aquattro
01-04-2003, 07:10 PM
I guess maybe he has it turned down abit, not sure. I think he's going to do a review after getting his second one!! I'm thinking rocks would be flying out of the tank with that much flow. :shock:

Bryan
01-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Stephane:

You may be interested in this.

http://pages.infinit.net/lambertv/pages/diy_reef_rat.htm

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139105

Im now tinking of adding two of those http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3510

Shadetree
01-04-2003, 07:24 PM
Brad,

J&L is altready long out of stock, and yes I am am also waiting to hear a certain SPS keeper review ;) They should have a few more in stock somewhere past the middle of the month. That was the best guestimate Alan could give me as they have not reordered yet. The first batch was only three and they flew off the shelf. I will let you know when more come in. I am closely looking at these as well. They will only special order the dual kit TS24 because of the$999 price.

Scott

Aquattro
01-04-2003, 10:42 PM
Scott, the difficulty for me is deciding which I need. I like the price of the 6080 but the pulsing ability of the 6100 on the controller is also appealing. Now I can probably afford the 6110 kit or 2 6080 pumps. Having one pump in the tank opposed to 2 is better, and I have up to 6 MJ 1200 powerheads I can supplement with. SO which way to set this up is giving me a headache :?
Any thoughts on this? Although your tank is much bigger, what are your potential plans?

Doug
01-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Brad, how about 2 on timers? One hour current dis way and next hour current dat way. :D

Sounds like it would work fine. I notice they have warnings about fish getting into the stream pump, when completely shut down. My stupid shrimp would be in there for sure. I likely some of my dufus chromis.

pocilipora
01-04-2003, 11:46 PM
You cant run Tunzes on timmers.

StirCrazy
01-05-2003, 12:19 AM
You cant run Tunzes on timmers.

yes you can, they just don't recoment a switching faster than a couple hours.. what you cannot run them on is a wave maker..

Steve

Aquattro
01-05-2003, 01:12 AM
Doug, as Chris mentioned, timers don't work all that well. They recommend that you have at least three hours between on/off cycles, but preferably you leave them on. Something about the brake wearing out on the magnet.
Although maybe switching at 6 hour cycles would work.....or buying the 2 pump kit for $999 :roll:

StirCrazy
01-05-2003, 02:11 AM
Brad the Tunze rep on RC confermed that a 3 hour on and off cycle will have no effect on the pump at all..

Steve

Aquattro
01-05-2003, 02:29 AM
maybe, but I inferred from his comments that leaving it on is better over the long run.