PDA

View Full Version : Have u ever lied to your better half about the price of a fish?

King of the Sea
05-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes
No
All the time
Thought about it

Phanman
05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
of course, lol. I probably wouldnt have a significant other if she actually knew how everything costs. :) Plus i dont have to buy her some shoes or a purse if she doesnt know the actual cost.

"Yes hon, all this rock cost me $20" like really if you dont know about LR who is gonna think you spent hundreds on ROCKS? sounds insane to spend tons of cash on rocks, hehe.

christyf5
05-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Heh, I'm not married so I don't care if my BF knows how much I spend. He already thinks I'm a bit too nuts about my fish anyways :razz:

04scoobysti
05-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Nope, she like the tank just as much as i do. So i just have to restrain myself most of the time from spending too much.

Phanman
05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
she loves the tank too, but thinks im already crazy to spend as much as she "thinks" i spend, lol.

marie
05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
I have no need to, we have separate credit cards :mrgreen:

christyf5
05-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Hmm, now that I think of it I probably don't divulge the exact amount. Mostly I just bring stuff home and he rolls his eyes. Thats not lying.. right? Right?? :mrgreen:

Chowder
05-01-2007, 09:32 PM
She never asks.......

skylord
05-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I just tell her she doesn't want to really know. However its always her fault anyway. She buys all the livestock. I tell her "if you buy one more coral I will have to get that new skimmer or new controller or what ever hardware item I think would be fun to play with". She cant control herself so I get the new hardware.

Scott

Phanman
05-01-2007, 09:46 PM
lol nice work skylord, hahaha.

Keana
05-01-2007, 09:57 PM
and he know's it..... Whatever I tell him he just bumps it up by a third anyway. Still he doesn't care. He loves looking in to the tank as much as I do.

DJKoop
05-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm lucky. The wife doesn't mind me spending all the free money I want on tank related items including livestock. She loves the hobby as well.

Quagmire
05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
I always answer truthfully when asked about the tank,I also never lie when asked "do these pants make my butt look fat",and when asked "What are you thinking" I tell them.And they say a good relationship is based on honesty.
Still single,what am I doing wrong? :mrgreen:

PoonTang
05-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Not yet because she loves the fish as much as I do. Really a $40 fish is not a problem, it's the $300 skimmer I just bought and the $1200 lights I want to get that are really blowing her mind. Trying to explain why you REALLY need these items isnt so easy.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Nope. :smile:

Zylumn
05-02-2007, 03:31 AM
My wife doesn't ask but when she does I will answer honestly but then there goes the big buys LOL.

fishytime
05-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Just fib a little.... more often just try to sneak somthing in and when she asks "whats that" I say "I dont know how that got there...must be a hitchhiker".

King of the Sea
05-02-2007, 05:10 AM
well its good to here its not just me hell ive bought new fish put them in she looks at it everyday and doesn't even notice then i get annoyed shes so blind and end up telling on myself its a cruel cycle maybe ill seek help one day.:evil:

SuperFudge
05-02-2007, 04:31 PM
My gf doesnt care really, but if i take a good chunk of change for something i just tell her to do the same, most likley `cus i cant stand to have anything that can be used against me later...in or out of a court of law.

:D

Chowder
05-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I got it used..... It's amasing the guy I bought it from had the original packaging ..... it doesn't even look used......What a deal.

digital-audiophile
05-02-2007, 06:18 PM
She's along for the ride with me :) Historically I have bought livestock based on what she wants :)

Snappy
05-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't need to lie although she very seldom asks anyway. She would rather not know. But then again I don't ask her how much a new outfit or pair of shoes cost either.:lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-04-2007, 03:02 PM
My wife has visited enough petshops with me to know that alot of the corals & fish are expensive. She doesn't really ask anymore unless there's a fish she likes & wants me to add. Unfortunately, her choices are usually incompatible with my setups (porcupine puffer, jellyfish) or hard to keep alive for long periods of time (copperband butterfly).

Still, it's better to have her sorta interested than totally disinterested. BTW, it was her idea to get into sw tanks in the first place (I'd kept a couple of fowlrs in the 80s) after we got married.

She also knows I don't buy stuff unless its worth it (although our definition of "worth it" are different):biggrin:

Anthony

untamed
05-05-2007, 04:59 AM
I don't ask her how much her new shoes cost... It's a good relationship.

X-Treme
05-05-2007, 05:11 AM
I'm lucky. The wife doesn't mind me spending all the free money I want on tank related items including livestock. She loves the hobby as well.

Where EXACTLY would one get some of this "free money"???????????

andresont
05-05-2007, 06:43 AM
10 Years in hobby, my wife knows everything.
It was fun though to watch her happy face when i was selling the LR from my old 108 Gal before we moved.
She said wow !, you 've got so much money just for the rocks?!
Whait a minute....
How much did you pay in the first place !!!???

Bringing the other half to the fish store is good idea , works in the long run.
That way she knows and understands when there is nothing for two or three visits and then boom something shows up and "She makes a choice" of coral or fish, and it bocomes her favorite...
Rather then explaining youreself every time you bring something in the bag.
$ 20 story only works for the first year.

revgeoff
05-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I like the don't ask don't tell idea. She knows how much these things cost but if she doesn't ask then the money wasn't really spent....right?....right?

Chin_Lee
05-05-2007, 04:00 PM
i would only have one fish in my tanks if my wife knew how much they costed so for the sake of understanding and compromising.................... I lie.

kwirky
05-07-2007, 03:35 AM
I've started telling her how much things cost instead of saying "it was only $10!". Thankfully for me she doesn't like math so she never really puts two and two together :mrgreen:

Quite scary though when she buys about $1000 in clothing in a single month and doesn't even realize she's spent more on clothes alone than her entire month's income. Her dad still pays off her credit card bills. Age 22, and she hasn't felt "economic stress" yet.

Lately if she gives me crap for spending money on the tank, I tell her at least it's not a $180 shirt that's only been worn twice in the past year :lol:. Most of my large tank purchases will be around for at least a year, if not five.