PDA

View Full Version : Is tank on hardwood floors a bad idea?

csnow
04-30-2007, 07:29 PM
I am moving into a new house with hardwood floors. I have a 55gallon tank that I want to setup as a reef tank (converting from freshwater).

Is there anyone that can share some stories or insight on placing tanks on hardwood floors? Will the weight cause dents/damage to the floor?

If it will cause damage, is there anyway to prevent this?

Thanks!

Dragonsteeth
04-30-2007, 07:36 PM
I have my 33g on hwf with the load spread on 1.5" sp per leg. I have felt on the footings and i much prefer this to being on carpet. I can easily slide my stand around (gently) so that i can get behind etc. My floors are Oak. Just spread the load as much as possible.

bassman
04-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I am also moving to a house with hardwood floors and I am planning on placing my 55 gal and stand on a thick rubber mat. This will protect the wood floors from denting, scratching and water damage. If water were to get under your stand and into the hardwood it could easily rot the wood and cause some warping. Better safe then sorry.

dr_chee
04-30-2007, 09:09 PM
I also have a rubber mat that I placed under the tank with a lip that curves upwards. So far so good.

Murminator
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
I have my 90 on HW it is fine until my skimmer overflowed yesterday and a few of the boards around the tank are curled :sad:

04scoobysti
04-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Yea, but if you put that rubber mat under the tank and you spill any water around the tank it will be stuck between the rubber and the hardwood till the wood absorbs it and wrecks your floor. Best bet are usiing those felt pads or other pads to rasie the tank off the floor a little and preventing it from being scratched. My 2cents. I have 2 tanks both on hardwood and am not too worriend about it. Also, having leveling legs on a stand would be a good idea too, since the floor may not be perfectly level.

Dragonsteeth
05-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Yea, but if you put that rubber mat under the tank and you spill any water around the tank it will be stuck between the rubber and the hardwood till the wood absorbs it and wrecks your floor. Best bet are usiing those felt pads or other pads to rasie the tank off the floor a little and preventing it from being scratched. My 2cents. I have 2 tanks both on hardwood and am not too worriend about it. Also, having leveling legs on a stand would be a good idea too, since the floor may not be perfectly level.

For the same reason i am glad my 33g is on felt as i had a hose leak and alot of water hit the deck. I slid the tank over and dried up the mess, then put it back. The rubber pad may prevent you from drying up which will definately affect your floor. My 1 cent worth. Good luck!

adidas
05-01-2007, 12:48 AM
water and humidity and hardwood floors don't mix very well.:(

mark
05-01-2007, 01:51 AM
In my old place had the 75g direct on the HW with no problems. Stand had four adjustable feet each probably no more than 1.5" diameter and didn't leave a depression when I moved it after 3+ years.

I didn't place a mat as was more concerned that if I had a spill the water would be trapped. This came partly as when I moved into the house it had carpet throughout, with the original maple HW underneath. When I stripped the carpet there was an area by the door of the bathroom where the wood was warped, so thinking better if wet to dry right away.

Fish tank aside, have split water, beer, juice, milk, had pee etc. on the wood (wondering my lifestyle eh?), with no damage as cleaned up immediately.

Johnny Reefer
05-01-2007, 01:54 AM
What about laminate floors? Anyone ever have any problem with water seaping in through the seams?

Thanx much,

rattler
05-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Mark,
I had a cheap counter top water cooler that held five gallon jugs in my kitchen. Last year the valve started to leak on my laminate floor. Upon noticing the water spill I removed said cooler, cursing myself for buying a cheap one, and lifted the carpet that was under that spot. The laminate was warped at the edges where the water could penetrate the seams. The floors were only 6 months old at the time and I thought I was pooched, as replacing boards mid way through the floor does not look very easy. It went on my honey-do list. Lucky for me after the area dried out for a month (the list doesn't get done quickly around here) the floors were flat again. I would think that the construction of the floors sawdust and glue that they would not stand up to too much moisture. Having thrown away the cooler I now find out that it was just a mineral build up on the valve that is easily cleaned, grrrrr!

Geoff

skylord
05-01-2007, 04:54 AM
My dish washer leaked and destroyed my kitchen floor but it had been leaking for a while before I saw what was happening. Had to replace the floor because after it being on the honey do list for six weeks it didn't improve a bit. Also did something similar to what ratttler did and in 2 weeks all was well.
On to my tanks....they sit on Laminate and as long as water is mopped up right away Ive had no problem. I do try to keep the water in the tank but stuff happens. Had a turbo block the return on my refugium and when I got home found water 30 feet away from the tank. Got the water cleaned up and waited for this huge area to be added to the list. No problems resulted from this spill or any of the other hundred or so minor spills. Maybe I'm lucky so far but just in case I placed the tanks in an area easy to repair (??????) and have a couple extra box's of flooring waiting.

Scott

wetcoast
05-01-2007, 06:55 AM
I lived in an older 100 year old house with Hardwood (Maple) and had many spills - overflows and tank meltdowns. I was very worried what the floor would look like underneath after moving the tank - however it didn't even look as if it had any damage. I was ecstatic!

fishoholic
05-03-2007, 05:17 AM
We had a 65g tank & stand on our laminate floors for a year. We just upgraded to a 120g and when we moved the 65g the was no damage done to the laminate floors.

danny zubot
05-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Having thrown away the cooler I now find out that it was just a mineral build up on the valve that is easily cleaned, grrrrr!

You must have the same cheep one as me. When my valve leaked the manufacturer recommended hot vinegar water passed through it over and over until it stopped. I did it, leak stopped, problem solved.

I second the rubber mat thing but I agree that you should find a way to not alow water to get under it.