PDA

View Full Version : RBTA Concern?

ponokareefer
03-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if my RBTA's activities should be a concern to me or not. What is happening is it is shrinking down pretty small for about an hour a day with it's mouth open. Nothing ever comes out, and it eats 3 times a week, half a silverside. It stays in the exact same spot everyday, fully expanding otherwise, with a cinnamon clown playing in it.

Ryan

andsoitgoes
03-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Mine has been doing the same (although it's an LBTA) - how long have you had it, what type of lighting is in the tank? Skimmer?

Particulars es muy importante! Chances are if it's happy most of the time,it's fine when it goes all shrinky, so keep a close eye on it.

Joe Reefer
03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
IMO you are probably over feeding it, I rarely feed my RBTA and GBTA. You could cut the feeding down to once a week and I bet it will stop shrinking into poop mode. :mrgreen:

ponokareefer
03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I have a 125 gallon setup, with 2 150W 10K MH, and 2 96W actinic bulbs over it. I've had the RBTA for about 3 weeks now.

andsoitgoes
03-15-2007, 08:14 PM
lol - Funny Lando. I agree with the feeding, my guys get once a week and then maybe they get some flakes if I'm feeling generous ;)

3 weeks isn't really that long, it seems the 8wk mark is the pinnacle for Anemones, so you've got a few weeks for the full adjustment period to "set in"

now, what about some pics?? ;)

Beverly
03-15-2007, 09:05 PM
I, too, think you are feeding too often. I feed my RBTA and GBTA once a week each 1/4 of a scallop cut into small pieces.

ponokareefer
03-15-2007, 09:15 PM
I'll definitely cut back on the feeding then.

Quagmire
03-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Its hard to feed an anemone too often,I know of some ppl who feed theirs 3x a day(Beware they get HUGE fast this way).But you can feed too much at one time,then later it will spit it back out.Look around the base of your anem to see it there is old food or bones from past feedings,if so then feed less at each feeding,this way it will actually process more food and be heathier. Also when its all shrunk up,look to see if there is brown/black stringy stuff comming out of it.If there is,then its just taking a dump.

G1GY
03-16-2007, 01:37 AM
I have three large RBTA's that I feed once every month or two. (Weather they need it or not!):biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
03-16-2007, 03:08 AM
I don't have much first hand experience but I've read that BTA's have very very healthy appetites and will grow fast if fed often. My BTA didn't like the change in light when the sun came out, I guess a bit of sunlight hit the tank and the BTA completely shrunk up and tried to move under some rock. Later, after the sun moved the BTA came back out and has been looking good (with the cloud cover).

Doug