PDA

View Full Version : How long do you age your new water?

GrimReefer
03-01-2007, 01:59 AM
Just curious. Usually two or three days for me.

marie
03-01-2007, 02:10 AM
I usually make up new stuff as soon as I finish a water change, that way I always have fresh salt water on hand if I need it :biggrin:

niloc16
03-01-2007, 02:13 AM
i am the same as marie so my water is going for at least 5 to 7 days before i use it. but if i do need to do a change again soon i wait at least 2 days only to make sure salinity is good and temp is good.

christyf5
03-01-2007, 02:26 AM
I have the water ready to go but don't put a heater/powerhead combo in it until the night before and then add salt right before I do a water change. That way I can use it for my "auto" top off if needed :biggrin:

mark
03-01-2007, 02:32 AM
A day sometimes more with a PH in the ro/di water, add salt, heater another PH then usually get the change a day or two later.

trilinearmipmap
03-01-2007, 02:34 AM
I don't wait at all, I don't heat it at all, I change 10% (12 gallons) at a time in a 120 gallon tank, the IO salt mixes with a few stirs of a stirring rod, pour it right into the tank, the temperature drops a couple of degrees, no one seems to mind. I would be more careful if I was doing larger water changes.

Johnny Reefer
03-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Anywhere from 18 to 30 hours, depending on when I mix the day before and when I do the change the day of. BTW, since using RO/DI water I have noticed a HUGE reduction in the brown ring left behind on the tote.

Cheers,

Borderjumper
03-01-2007, 03:20 AM
I mix up a new batch as soon as Im done doing my water change, so mine sits for a week.

RO water makes a huge difference. Try using it when you make Icecubes.. amazing how clear they are and they pop right out of the tray.:biggrin:

Chaloupa
03-01-2007, 03:22 AM
As soon as the bin is empty I refill it as it has 2 powerheads, heater etc so I always have some handy in case of trouble and I can perform a waterchange whenever I want to....(we also have 7 tanks in the house so water changes are a constant!!!:redface:) I won't use the water until it has aged for 30 hours...don't know why just do as I feel it is more stable then.

EmilyB
03-01-2007, 04:06 AM
I have the water ready to go but don't put a heater/powerhead combo in it until the night before and then add salt right before I do a water change. That way I can use it for my "auto" top off if needed :biggrin:

Ditto. Leaving the saltwater warm too long always reminds me.

ktrigger
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Do most of you use RODI units when it comes to water changes and water top offs?
I am just getting into the hobby and am getting as much info as I can.
Thank you

GrimReefer
03-02-2007, 04:52 AM
I use RO water. But apparently it is unnecessary on Victoria water.

BCOrchidGuy
03-02-2007, 04:51 PM
DI for myself and I usually do the water 24 hours before a water change, I don't want to leave it long enough for bacteria to really start to grow, I figure if I waited a week I'd be starting the nitrogen cycle in the replacement water.

Doug

andresont
03-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Use RO/DI water.
As soon as salt dissolves no heat no air. Changing 5% per week.
Been doing that for 9 years now. Emptying the bucket strait into the tank.
All is OK on all tanks.

Ruth
03-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I voted for 24 hours because that is the minimum I usually leave it however if I had the room I would always keep salt water mixed up and ready to use.

andsoitgoes
03-16-2007, 06:38 PM
This is interesting and kind of goes back to a post I made a little while ago - I leave it with PH's, heater and salt for weeks at a time. So far it's served me well, and ensures if there's an emergency, I can dip right in and have premade goodness ready to rock. I've left it up to about a month and a bit when things go a little insane, and so far no issues as long as the temp and salinity match :)

Snappy
04-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Ditto, I also keep mine aerated to raise the ph.

Moogled
04-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Does it count if I mix the water and then age it until I'm ready to get off my lazy bum to do the water change?

:P

corpusse
04-30-2007, 12:56 AM
I usually let it mix for 10-24hrs. If I forget to do it saturday I'll do it sunday morning and do the water change sunday night otherwise I do it some time saturday then change water sunday. I guess instant ocean really isn't instant.

I use a purley h2o RO/DI unit.

vanreefer
04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
all of the above..

Lance
02-14-2008, 03:21 AM
I have a SW tank and a FW tank so I have a 40 gal garbage can of each heated to 79F with a bubble stone running. After a water change I refill the SW can with the FW and mix the salt with a submersible pump. Then refill the FW can with RO/DI water. Works for me

Shipwreck
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
I use RO water. But apparently it is unnecessary on Victoria water.

Victoria source water is very good but I would still use RO/DI. The water comes from a protected lake at the top of the mountain to a treatment center that treats with UV (ultraviolet light) and then adds chlorine. This method provides double barrier protection making the water very safe to drink. The problem is that there are still compounds (metals, silicates, dirt, etc) that may be present in the water that are not removed. These items are only removed by the use of RO/DI treatment.

BTW I did the programming for all the UV systems which is how I know all about their water system.

There is no water supply system in the world that will bring water to your house at the quality of an RO/DI membrane will produce. Even the new water reclamation projects that treat the water through RO filters will not be at RO quality by the time it reaches your house. The pipes will have some debris, draw in groundwater, leach copper, etc all of which are safe for drinking but could build up/cause problems in the fish tank.