PDA

View Full Version : Glue and Sealant

PFisher
11-13-2002, 02:54 PM
I am currently building a skimmer using PVC pipe. I am almost ready to start glueing it together and am wondering if there is a problem with any glues or silicone sealants that are toxic to the fish.

Also, does anyone have a pump recomendation for my skimmer. It is a venturi style (24"x3") on a 25 gal tank.

Delphinus
11-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Some silicones say not for use under the water line, or not for use on aquariums. Sometimes, the "kitchen and bath" caulks/silicones have some kind of anti-mildew agent, so you need to check the label. Basically if it doesn't say "don't use this under water" or "don't use this on aquariums" you should be fine. Let it cure for a day and it should be copesetic.

StirCrazy
11-14-2002, 04:40 PM
look for 100% silicone.. if it has anything else.. don't use it..

Steve

Canadian
11-14-2002, 11:54 PM
What about the black silicone used by many aquarium manufacturers? Surely it can't be 100% silicone.

;)

StirCrazy
11-14-2002, 11:55 PM
er.. its 100% black silicone :wink:

I think I might have a tube of that around here.. I will try to findit and see what is on it

Steve

Canadian
11-15-2002, 12:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that 100% silicone is clear - think breast implants ;) , or the clarity of the silica shells encasing diatoms - and thusly, black silicone obviously has pigment added to it, and therefore isn't 100% silicone.

Troy F
11-15-2002, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that 100% silicone is clear - think breast implants ;) ,...

All the ones I've seen have matched the skin pigment of the women they belong to...except for the aproximate center in which case they tend to darken.

EmilyB
11-15-2002, 02:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that 100% silicone is clear - think breast implants ;) ,...

All the ones I've seen have matched the skin pigment of the women they belong to...except for the aproximate center in which case they tend to darken.

:shock:

Canadian
11-15-2002, 02:35 AM
I'd like to meet the surgeon who performed the procedures on the women you've seen Troy. While placing the implants on the exterior of the breast may, in fact, reduce the incidence of potentially dangerous leakage into the breast tissue, I would presume it would make reaching second base a little awkward, or at the very least surprising.

;)

Aquattro
11-15-2002, 02:41 AM
So, PFisher, you can use anything that is 100% silicone.

Now somebody close this quick!! :)

Troy F
11-15-2002, 03:08 AM
Andrew, I knew you'd take that one apart, I was going to edit it. Like teabags in the ocean...it was weak. I'll try to do better but I'm not promising anything.

DJ88
11-15-2002, 05:10 AM
Did I hear somebody say Breast Implants?????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :lol: :D :lol:

Aquattro
11-15-2002, 05:16 AM
Is that what it takes to get you pop into the old neighbourhood?

StirCrazy
11-15-2002, 05:18 AM
Did I hear somebody say Breast Implants?????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :lol: :D :lol:

Hmmm is this how we wake you up? LOL

Steve

reefburnaby
11-15-2002, 05:24 AM
PFisher,

PVC glues/solvent are fairly safe once they are fully cured. It takes about 48 hours to full cure and dry. PVC solvent actually dissolves PVC and when it dries...recements and fuses the PVC together. So, the solvent doesn't actually remain in the PVC...it actually dissappates in to the air. The remaining work is fused PVC.

Other glues such as silicone sealant, ABS, epoxy and super glue are good for marine use. Silicone comes in many flavours including pure silicone and bacteria resistant versions. The bacteria resistant version (i.e. kitchen and bathroom version) is probably not the type you want, so I would go with the 99% pure ones. The die in silicone is harmless.

As for pump for a 24" X 3", a Maxijet 600/900 should do the job. The smaller pump should ensure that a good air/water mixture is inside the skimmer. So, I would try those first and add an airstone if there isn't enough air for skimming.

- Victor.

PFisher
11-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Wow, this thread got some serious activity.

That is a much smaller pump than I was expecting, but that is a good thing. I actually have one about the size of the 600 laying around here. Thanks for the help.