PDA

View Full Version : Coral food

David
01-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Please help. What is best source of food for soft corals (ie: Xenia, Kenya tree, polyps, mushrooms, brains, bubble coral, Goniopora corals and more to come) . I was told o use:
- Reef_resh
- Phytoplankton
- Reef-riods
Which one should I get or do I need them all. Thanks in advance....

trilinearmipmap
01-30-2007, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't feed most of these corals, most of the soft corals will absorb nutrients from the water. Feed your fish and these corals will get their nourishment from the fish wastes.

The bubble and brain could do with the occasional feeding of mysis. I don't know about the goniopora.

As for the commercial products you mentioned I would suggest saving your money.

Jason McK
01-30-2007, 03:32 AM
You've named a couple of corals there that might eat different foods.
Either way Reef_refresh is not needed as is is more a water/food system. Maybe once you research it some more you may want to go with Reef-refresh but it's not something I would recomend jumping into with out more information (don't let someone tell you you need it)

Typically coral eat 2 things Phytoplankton and Zooplankton. Phyto is Veg and Zoo is meat.

So in your list Xenia, Kenya tree, polyps and Mushrooms are Vegetarians so they require phytoplakton. While the others are meat eaters and require a meat source. Reef-riods is a meat source but so is mysis shrimp and other things you feed your fish. Things like the brain and Bubble have large enough mouths to get occational spot feedings of chopped up seafood.

Hope this helps
J

Reefer Rob
01-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Not sure about the Goniopora, which apparently don't survive well in captivity anyway, but all the corals on your list will thrive without any food at all (provided you have fish). Brain is a very generic term. Some "brain" species will take plankton, but it's not necessary, though interesting to watch if they do.