PDA

View Full Version : Two MH systems which is best?

Justusfish
12-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey, folks:

I am buying a 72 by 24 by 24 tank for reef and want to know which lighting system you would recommend. I don't have enough experience to know which is better in terms of light, quality of fixture and other concerns I haven't even thought of. All your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have narrowed it down to two fixtures. The question is: Which one?

Here are two links. Please send some feedback my way.

1. http://www.petstore.com/ps_ViewItem-SearchStr--action-view-idProduct-AQ1761-idCategory-FILTFIMHSTDE-category-Aqua_Medic_Ocean_Light_Sexy_Series__72%E2%80%9D_(3 X250W_+_2x150W)_Black_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_ Lighting_Fixtures_Metal_Halide_72in_Units_Double_E nded_MH-vendor-.html

2. http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-esu.php?product_ID=mh-calp722

Once again. thanks for your considered opinions!

Pan
12-16-2006, 06:01 PM
If you are going to use one of those i'd go with the aquamedic as opposed to the coralife. I've heard about more problems with the coralife than the aquamedic. I think that the aquamedic has lower quality parts personally. I have used both i use an aquamedic product currently i like it so far, the coralife one i had i returned. I will say though that i don't like the aquamedic or coralife brand bulbs :(
I kind of like the PC coralife fixtures, but their halide fixtures i don't like.

Justusfish
12-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Once the first bulbs die, I can use different brand name bulbs to replace, can't I?

niloc16
12-16-2006, 06:41 PM
yes you can use different bulbs as long as they will work with the ballast you have. if you are buying new ask if they will change the bulbs for you to something you would prefer and see what they say.

Pan
12-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Once the first bulbs die, I can use different brand name bulbs to replace, can't I?

yep

Justusfish
12-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Of course, there is the 6 foot Maristar with 3 250s and T5s which looks good as well.

There are so many choices, I am frozen with indecision.

Maristar linK:http://www.petstore.com/ps_ViewItem-idproduct-SL2535.html

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I have used Aqualight Pros for over a year now & love them, especially the mix of bulbs (like having built in moonlights).

No experience with the other lighting system but it sounds like a really nice setup, with 2 250w mainlights & 2 150w blues. You could always add on moonlights to your setup. The main advantages of this system would seem to be the narrower dimensions make getting inside your tank more convenient & having the blue shimmer (20000k MH) instead of PC actinics.

Anthony

Justusfish
12-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Seahorse. Thanks for the feedback. I like hearing the specifics as to the pros and cons so it can help me make a more informed decision.

Pescador
12-17-2006, 12:09 AM
I have Aquamedic fixtures and they have been pretty good, there are probably cheaper alternatives.

But definitely T-5's over PC for actinic, I tried a lot of different PC actinic bulbs and they all just looked blue to me not fluorescing like NO or HO.

Maybe there are better bulbs for them now but I never found a good one.

I like the look of the 150w 20k as well especially at dawn/dusk.

Justusfish
12-17-2006, 12:21 AM
so far the aquarmedic is winning in feedback with the slimmer profile and the 150MH creating a great shimmering blue

Funky_Fish14
12-17-2006, 01:20 AM
I'd vote aquamedic as well.

Not sure quite how much light you are looking for, but you dont quite need a high intensity light in your tank if you just have the fish and rock. You could do something like 2 x 250 W Halides and then play around with accent lighting for the fish's colouration. If you were going for a dimmer look you could even do just 3x 150W halides, or, use VHO's or a few HO T5's. Just a heads up!

Chris

Justusfish
12-17-2006, 02:37 AM
Oops, I meant to put reef tank. Hence the larger amount of watts. I want both soft and hard coral

Pan
12-17-2006, 03:47 AM
For actinic suplemation i prefer vho as opposed to pc, never tried t-5 though...that is if you go with 10k bulbs, i think xm 10k's with some vho actinic suplemation is the best (for coral growth and for viewing pleasure)

Funky_Fish14
12-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Oops, I meant to put reef tank. Hence the larger amount of watts. I want both soft and hard coral

Then completely disreguard my post!:mrgreen:

I'd definetly consider T5's. They are a great 'low-wattage' option for all your lighting, or just supplemental. I have 2 x 48" T5's.. 10K, and those two alone over my tank are INSANE for light... You want to make sure they are HO(High output) though, and that they are in single bulb reflectors.

Chris

Justusfish
12-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the tip, Funky. I'll look into it and keep an eye out for high output.

danny zubot
12-28-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm curious as to why you want so much light over a FOWLR tank? Do you plan to convert it to a reef later?

Pescador
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Here I think

Snappy
12-28-2006, 11:28 PM
I have an Aquamedic 3x250 - 2x150 fixture, it's very bright and hot. You will likely need a chiller if you go with that light.

Chin_Lee
12-29-2006, 12:55 AM
These are two very different unit: AquaMedic has all MH bulbs and the Aqualight has MH/PC/Moonlights. I think it really comes down to what you want from your lighting.
Several things that I can see right at this moment is if you like atinic supplementing before and after your primary lighting period, you will need to buy additional lighting if you go with the Aquamedic. The same goes if you want moonlight as well.
Whereas the Aqualight seems to have the all in one package.

Also 5 MH bulbs on a 180g is mighty bright and some of your LPS/softies/SPS (brains) may not appreciate the intensity.

If YOU want an all-in-one package with MH/Atinic/Moonlight, the Aqualight is your only choice.
Othewise if you only want MH, Aquamedic is the preferred choice.