PDA

View Full Version : Your Spouse/Significant-Other/Parent says "No more fish tanks." What do you do?!

kwirky
11-13-2006, 05:32 PM
hehe

Midknight
11-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Your just asking for trouble aren't you. :wink:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
You forgot "Take down small one & upgrade to a bigger one, so tank numbers stay the same!":biggrin:

Like, take down the 2 gallon nano & put in a 100 gallon reef:biggrin:

Anthony

trilinearmipmap
11-13-2006, 06:21 PM
I spend on my fish tanks the time and money other people spend at the bar.

Let the wife/girlfriend understand this.

If they take away your fish tanks they will run your life.

danny zubot
11-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Not sure how well sneaking in a whole tank would work out, but I've managed to sneak some new equipment in from time to time.:mrgreen:

Murminator
11-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Divorce was not an option :razz:

Joe Reefer
11-13-2006, 07:28 PM
One tank is enough for me, well....... maybe 2.

anglfish
11-13-2006, 08:09 PM
I must protest.
Husbands, boyfriends, etc. are just as nagging!

of course no one cares as much about them. :wink:

Tangman
11-13-2006, 10:35 PM
I voted 'that will never happen'
but wheres the " we should get another tank " option?

Farrmanchu
11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Stategy Ladies and Gents...........you buy a juvinile fish (that will grow big) that the spouse will fall in love with. Then once they bond, and the fish starts to grow, you get the new tank, not for yourself, but "for the fish". The spouse may actually start to suggest a bigger, or additional Tank.

Dale
11-13-2006, 11:10 PM
I believe this is a justified excuse for using roofies:

"Huh.. what happened? I don't remember agreeing to this but I see my signature on the Visa"....
________
mexico city hotels (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

Chaloupa
11-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I selected "that will just never happen" .........my husband is fairly generous! He "indulges" me and my hobby very very well!:biggrin:

Quagmire
11-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Divorce was not an option :razz:

Thats my vote too :razz: 2 votes for divorce.

Jaws
11-13-2006, 11:28 PM
I spend on my fish tanks the time and money other people spend at the bar.

Do you spend an equal amount on your significant other though? That seems to be the argument in my house. That's why I started installing things and adding corals while she's still at work.

Beverly
11-14-2006, 02:24 AM
I voted for "That would just never happen", but realize I've snuck in a 7g nano and a 2.5g nano while he was at work a few years back after we'd given up a 180g due to moving. Husband only rolled his eyes a bit. He's pretty good about reefing stuff. He even helps me every Saturday on water change day. He's quite a sweet heart when he wants to be :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-14-2006, 02:33 AM
I just started a new reef for my wife. Yeah, really, it's my "wife's tank". Hehehe.

Pan
11-14-2006, 02:35 AM
I dunno, i could see how this hobby could annoy people, i mean I'm not a cat person and my ex had a lot of cats it bothered me. Also as a fairly ( can be ) hobby should go without saying that both people take an interest or at least can tolerate the other one hobbies. I guess you could make a seperate fish room and hobby room for each person. good use for a garage...why would a car need to be inside :)

kwirky
11-14-2006, 02:57 AM
haha i worded the poll as "spouse/significant other" but forgot to word the thread title the same.

I live with my mom still since I'm a student, and when I said I'd like a fishtank for my birthday, people chipped in and I bought the glass to build my own. When I said it'll be 4'x2'x2', she didn't quite comprehend how large it would be until she saw it assembled in the basement. She freaked out :D

My girlfriend, and her parents, think if I gave up the hobby I could afford a car, but I'd rather have a hobby than a car; especially since I'm still in school for another year after this one...

I started the poll, because now I'm not to have any more tanks (i have a 120 reef and a 33 cichlid), but I REALLY want a cube reef of some sort. It's this strong urge I can't explain. I think I'll just set it up in my bedroom, since nobody goes in there anyways, and budget for a chiller during spring.

I'll wait till they notice 400W of MH lighting seeping from under my bedroom door ;)

trilinearmipmap
11-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Do you spend an equal amount on your significant other though?

Good point, I would spend money on her but she won't cooperate, I have one of those low-maintenance wives.

For me the limiting factor is time. I have a plant tank, a planted discus tank and a mixed reef. There are several other tanks sitting around empty that I don't have the energy to take care of.

Sedgewick
11-14-2006, 04:14 AM
if its plumbed off the main display its a satelite not a tank, lol

anglfish
11-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Good point, I would spend money on her but she won't cooperate, I have one of those low-maintenance wives.

pffff I know what you mean.. I hate when my husband tries to spend money on me...
:wink:

GrimReefer
11-14-2006, 04:57 PM
when we first moved in together, she thought my hobby meant i was a dork. 4 months later, she wanted her own tank. we're up to 4 now...and she says she doesn't care how many tanks i want, because "it's the best hobby in the entire world." :D

clipperfish
11-15-2006, 04:44 AM
If wife complains ,get a new one ,that is broken time to up grade .LOl

guysmiley
11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Set up a tank at the office which is out of her domain!

Garrick.

Funky_Fish14
11-17-2006, 12:21 AM
if its plumbed off the main display its a satelite not a tank, lol

Exactly, haha.

"Its not a new tank... its a 'support system', which helps keep the tank in good health. I just have great lighting, corals, rock and fish in there to make it more natural!"

Well, Im still a student as well. I started with the 10g Nano(after some tough convincing of the parents), to which my mom began to enjoy watching during supper time. 3 months later, I asked for my Christmas present to be an upgrade to my 'empty' 33g tank. After 6 months, my mom quite enjoyed watching the tank, and I talked about a larger tank offering more freedom with fish, and also how the 33g didnt have the best 'filtration', etc... The fan for the halide was loud, my dad didnt like that. He wanted to change the entire hood for some reason, and I wanted an upgrade. We found a 75 setup going for a good price, so we brought it home. I admit I didnt do the best job setting this one up(looks good though), and im not happy with the filtration, I also want to upgrade just to give the fish more swimming room, so im 'upgrading' to a reverse 90. It will also be an 'experiment' to see how automated I can get the system going, as my mom wants a room divider in the new house in a few years, and they plan to leave alot so cant take care of it all the time. The only barrier so far has been cost, but, my Dad understands its one of the few things I ask for, and its related to my future career. He also knows it makes my Mom quite happy, so he is willing to help with costs(as does my Mom). I do contribute as well, but having the parents on my side helps :mrgreen:

andresont
11-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Stategy Ladies and Gents...........you buy a juvinile fish (that will grow big) that the spouse will fall in love with. Then once they bond, and the fish starts to grow, you get the new tank, not for yourself, but "for the fish". The spouse may actually start to suggest a bigger, or additional Tank.
Thank you, very wise !
I may do just that, at the moment all i am alowed is 65 Gal, what i shell do is let my wife pick a fish that will grow and Bang! i can get a 240 Gal

BCOrchidGuy
12-16-2006, 04:33 PM
At my worse I had just over 70 tanks going, I would come home from work say hi to my son, say hi to the wife and grab a sandwich and head to the fish room. Eight hours later I'd go to bed and wonder where everyone was... (in bed of course). Why the no more tanks? is it messy, my fish room was really well ogranized, so it never looked that big, friends thought it looked like a fish store and the fish club used it as a model for a top of the line fish room. Now I'm divorced (fish tanks had nothing to do with that). My girlfriend and I live in a townhouse and there just isn't room for 70 tanks. We are planning on converting the garage to a fish room in the spring but the number of tanks will be limited. She's very enthused about it and so am I. I had 15 gallon nano set up in my old apartment and she was happy to sit and watch for hours. I've pretty much talked her into a 60 gallon cube (30 gallon refugium on top and 20ish gallon sump underneath). We'll set that up in the living room and then after a few garage sales and a trip or two (or 5) to the dump we'll start the fish room in the garage.

Doug

Neil
12-16-2006, 05:38 PM
im chalking up my recent purchase as a "miscommunication". i have a 67 gal reef that isnt drilled- talk about a pain. She had mentioned (this is her side of the story) that i should have just got a drilled tank TO START WITH. I heard (the real side to the story :) )why dont you just got get one. So i took off to the LFS while she was at work the next day and ordered up my custom 96 gal cube (no refund on custom :D) Needless today, doghouse for me. But its blown over now (had to sell my 90 gal and 230 gal to smooth things out) and im building my stand for it now. Should be setup early in the new year. Cant wait. Moral of the story- guys hear what they want to hear- nothing can be done about that.

StirCrazy
12-16-2006, 06:17 PM
this is kind of a stupid poll, which is more inportant the spouse or a stupid fish tank... hell if my spouce said I had to get rid of all 4 of mine I would with out a hesatation. it is a hobby and there are always other things to spend money one.

Steve

MoeReefer
12-16-2006, 07:50 PM
just remember that happy wife means happy life.

cheers

super7
09-14-2007, 11:20 PM
MY parents said no more tanks but they never siad no more sumps/refugiums. So i hook all my extra tanks into one system and had ahh 4 more reef tanks added on to my cichlid breeding tanks and nano tank.

Aquattro
09-15-2007, 12:57 AM
this is kind of a stupid poll, which is more inportant the spouse or a stupid fish tank...

Steve

I suppose the answer to this depends on who you're asking, doesn't it?