PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate Reactors.

OCDP
10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I want to add a phosphate reactor to my tank... yes, it's a small tank it may look silly, but whatever.. that doesn't bother me.I understand they can be ran HOB , so that's good.

Just want to know how effective they are?? Moreso than running some phosphate remover through a filter? I still haven't quite understood the whole concept of a reactor.. but would like to.

I have been thinking of removing my sandbed, and upgrading, and I've come to the final conclusion that it's just not happening, or at least not anytime soon .. so I'll learn to accept that haha. Adding a phosphate reactor sounds nice.. I do have bits of unwanted algae, and with that sandbed.. the nutrients are buidling up.

If someone would care to enlighten me on how they work, and if this would be something worth adding then feel free to post.

Thanks

demon666
10-27-2006, 03:45 PM
i too am interested in adding one to my system so any info would be great

christyf5
10-27-2006, 05:30 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21978

The phosphate reactors I've seen are basically just an upweller system whereby water is forced through a small column in the middle of a larger tube and expelled through the bottom into the main tube which contains the phosphate remover and then flows upwards through the media and out the top. IMO they're much more efficient than placing a bag of phosphate remover in a high flow area as greater flow reaches more surface area of the phosphate remover. Seems that way to me anyways, I've had more success with the reactor than just putting a bag of it in my sump. It kicks ass for carbon as well.

Pescador
10-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Reactors for phosphate removal are fluidized reactors, just like fluidized bed sand filters.
Fluidisation will greatly increase the life and effectiveness of phosphate media (eg. Rowaphos) as it allows a larger surface area for reaction with the water and prevents channels from forming through the media.
They also work great for carbon.
Water is fed in to the reactor with a small pump or fed off return pump and adjusted so the media is suspended but not so much that it is returning to the aquarium.
They are unlike most calcium reactors where the media isn't moving in the chamber and water percolates up through it.
When the output water no longer measures lower in phosphate than the tank water it's time to replace the media.

danny zubot
10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I have been thinking of removing my sandbed, and upgrading,

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OCDP
10-27-2006, 06:11 PM
and I've come to the final conclusion that it's just not happening, or at least not anytime soon.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:lol:

atcguy
10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I have used a reactor now for about a year. Very good investment. the flow through the chamber is very slow. Thats the key!!! I have never had any algae other than the typical film on the glass every couple days nothing my MagFloat cant simply wipe away. My sandbed is clean and Never seen HA in my tank. They are cheap to buy and media lasts 3 months if the flow is set right. Meaning a 22 dollar container will last you 6 months and the reactors are only around 50 bucks, Sound worth it to you? Buy one. OA has em!!

Palster
10-27-2006, 06:31 PM
I just installed one on a 90 gallon tank and was able to bring my Phosphates down from about 1 ppm to about 0.03 ppm in less than a week (I didn't test the water every day). You can actually see the Hair Algae dying off on the live rock now. Overall I am very pleased with the results however I have read that they can have adverse effects on some corals. Now if I can only get my Nitrate levels down a little bit more.

danny zubot
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
I have read that they can have adverse effects on some corals.

I don't have the information to back this up anymore but I heard a reason for this a couple of years ago.

Some PO4 media use various elelments as a base which aren't good for marine aquariums. I read that some use a Mg base which can throw your other levels off, while others use various heavy metals that would only be suitable for freash water use. Sorry I can't back up this claim at this time, just offering a plausable explaination.

Palster
10-27-2006, 07:16 PM
I don't have the information to back this up anymore but I heard a reason for this a couple of years ago.

If you click on the link that Christy has posted above in this thread there is some good information on some of the side effects of using a Phosphate binding media. For me the benefits have far outweighed the risks.

reeferaddict
10-27-2006, 07:30 PM
I just installed one on a 90 gallon tank and was able to bring my Phosphates down from about 1 ppm to about 0.03 ppm in less than a week (I didn't test the water every day). You can actually see the Hair Algae dying off on the live rock now. Overall I am very pleased with the results however I have read that they can have adverse effects on some corals. Now if I can only get my Nitrate levels down a little bit more.

I have run both Rhowaphos and Phosban through my reactor and had better results with the Phosban... just my own experience... but it DOES completely eliminate phosphates... as for nitrates, water changes were leaving me hungry until I got my Biodenitrator which keeps my heavily stocked and fed system's nitrates at ZERO while cutting my water changes down by 75%... :mrgreen:

i have crabs
10-27-2006, 07:43 PM
its the type of material in the reactor that has effects on corals. if its iron based and you dont rinse it well leathers and some lps i believe dont like it.
http://www.reefcast.com/downloads4.php
lisen to episode 1

as far as the reactors they work great i have 2 running of a mj1200 1 full of phosguard and one full of carbon and its made a noticable improvement since i started.

OCDP
10-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Cool, thanks for the input everyone.

I am definitely going to look into this further. Thanks for the link Christy, sorry I never thought to check that out... all that hard work in making a reference library and what not.. so thanks again.

What I am hoping to see , with continued water changes and sandbed cleaning, while running a reactor, is to eliminate the bits of unwanted algae. Lots of it is macro algae, which is good.. but others is bits of hair algae growing within the macro, so it doesn't look so nice.

Based on some readings though, the reactor does seem to be quite effective in removing unwanted algae.

I'll keep the thread updated and what not.. but keep posting if you have input and what not.

Thanks again to all.

demon666
10-28-2006, 04:03 AM
what type of affects will it have on a system runnin a fudge with micro ???? will it kill off the micro as well?

MDG3
11-24-2006, 11:03 PM
[quote=Pescador;217296]Reactors for phosphate removal are fluidized reactors, just like fluidized bed sand filters.

I was wondering if it's possible to use an old fluidized bed sand filter for a DIY phosphate reactor? Any body tried it or know how to make one or if it will even work?:question: :question: :idea: :idea:

Pescador
11-25-2006, 12:28 AM
I've got an old Red Sea Merlin fluidized bed that is basically the same thing. (it's now an effluent chamber on my calcium reactor)
The only difference is the Phosban has plastic grates at the top and bottom with round 1/2" coarse foam pieces to help keep the media in the reactor.
It wouldn't be hard rig it up for Rowaphos.
It doesn't take a lot of flow through the reactor, just enough until the surface starts to move.
Rowaphos also recommends flushing out the reactor with fresh water to remove the fines when using it in a reactor.

MDG3
12-01-2006, 01:55 AM
I've got an old Red Sea Merlin fluidized bed that is basically the same thing. (it's now an effluent chamber on my calcium reactor)
The only difference is the Phosban has plastic grates at the top and bottom with round 1/2" coarse foam pieces to help keep the media in the reactor.
It wouldn't be hard rig it up for Rowaphos.
It doesn't take a lot of flow through the reactor, just enough until the surface starts to move.
Rowaphos also recommends flushing out the reactor with fresh water to remove the fines when using it in a reactor.

Thanks for the reply, sorry it's late I was gone for the week. Oh and that sound good I'll give it a try.