PDA

View Full Version : Shops to Visit in Seattle and Portland

WWWD
10-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know of decent shops worth visiting in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver Wa. area? I will be down there soon and would like to check out a few shops.

Thanks

Delphinus
10-02-2006, 08:53 PM
It's been so long that I was there (1999), but when I was there I did find a few gems. I just wish I could remember the names. Some were just your generic LFS's not worth making a whole trip to Portland for, but there was 1 or 2 that were. Dang, I just wish I could remember.

I remember looking at a dang blue tort that has since been called "Oregon blue" or whatever, years before there was any hoo-hah over it. It was either at a place called Waves, Sousza's, or Upscales.

I guess it's been so long that any memory of mine would be invalid anyhow, a lot can happen or change in 7 years. I bet half the stores I visited are gone anyhow.

Anyhow, it is worth checking out all of them. Somewhere in Oregon must be enough of those stupid torts to have had a whole colour morph named after them. Most stores I found were a waste of time, but it was the last 2 or 3 stores out of a bunch of 7 or 8 that I visited in a row that really just blew me away.

Here are some websites I could find:
http://www.upscales.com/genwebpage.ihtml?formid=1

Ok that's all I could find. Waves must be gone, and Sousa's must be gone, I can't even get half-decent hits off google to at least let me know if I'm on the right track.

Across the river in .. is is Vancouver WA? (right across from Portland) there was supposed to be a decent store. Sorry that's not much to go on either.

If you can afford the day's driving, make it down to Newport and visit the Oregon Coast Aquarium. The aquarium is worth a visit, and the drive down the coast is spectacular.

Enjoy the trip, I'm jealous, I really enjoyed my time in Portland. If you turn on a tap there, think of me (I was there to install the SCADA system for their waterworks).

Buddyboy
10-02-2006, 08:53 PM
That's a good question! Maybe you should post the question on reefcentral.com. More Americans on that board. Let us know what you come up with!

Ruth
10-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Try posting on Reef Frontiers - most of their members seem to be from the Pacific NW (Seattle, Portland etc. etc.)

Delphinus
10-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Thank goodness for yellowpages.com.

The other place I'm thinking of is "Soutas". I was close, just not close enough.
http://www.soutassaltwater.com/General%20Information.htm

I guess the "Waves" store I was thinking is no more, as there's definitely nothing listed under Aquariums or Pets with that name. Oh well. At least 2 out of 3 aint too bad.

Hope this info is a good starting point.

dirtyreefer
10-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Upscales is supposed to be "The" LFS for Portland Oregon area. That would be a definite visit for me.

There are a couple other places I've heard of called "Kahuna Corals", can't remember the others but I think Upscales would be the one I'd be most excited about.

BTW, the Aquarium mentioned (Oregon Coast Aquarium) is a great place. It's actually what inspired me to get into reefkeeping 5 years ago :) Got home from my Ore coast trip, went and bought an aquarium, live rock, and a bio-wheel filter :rolleyes: Let's just say I killed alot of livestock in those days :(

Veng68
10-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Last year I tried to find Waves but was unsuccessful because they moved. If you like freshwater........... try wetspot tropicals.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Veng68
10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Seattle

Blue Sierra
Saltwater City.

Cheers,
Aquaman

christyf5
10-02-2006, 10:04 PM
I was at a PSAS Meeting they had at Blue Sierra in Issaquah. Great store, they had some really nice stuff with some incredibly crazy prices ($$$).

Delphinus
11-30-2006, 03:10 AM
So! Did you guys go or what! I eagerly await your report..

Chowder
11-30-2006, 04:11 AM
I searched Kahuna Corals on MSN. A heading came up as (PSAS Sponsers). It has a list of web sites for companys in and around Seattle Washington... Hope that helps.

untamed
11-30-2006, 04:14 AM
I visited Saltwater city when I was there about 1 year ago...(bought a gold stripe clown, which is still healthy and happy). It's not a big place, but it is dedicated to SW and reefkeeping.

Johnny Reefer
11-30-2006, 04:24 AM
..... Some were just your generic LFS's not worth making a whole trip ....
Haha. Sorry to encroach, but I can't refrain. This reminds me of when I went to New York in 2002. I have a brother who lives there and went there for his wedding. Stayed for 8 days and one day I wasted the whole day going halfway into Brooklyn to visit this LFS that advertised in FAMA magazine. I figured if they advertise there, it must be one helluva store. What a let down. It was just like any 'ole run of the mill LFS anywhere. I even took the ad with me and when the guy asked me if I needed any help I showed him the ad and said I was from Western Canada and was stoked about seeing his store. He looked at me kinda weird like and said in a thick Brooklyn accent something along the lines of "Ya? So?". Ha! What a joke! It suddenly occured to me that this guy wasn't advertising to the world. He was advertising to the some 20 million people that live within a 50 mile radius of his store! Heck, the store was so small, I can't even remember if they had SW (as I was not into SW back then).

Anyway, back to Tony's query about your recent trip to Wash/Oregon.....

Cheers,