PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium testing

Saltysteve
09-18-2006, 03:23 AM
Interested in the numbers.........
Please do not vote if you are guessing.

Ruth
09-18-2006, 03:42 AM
I test for magnesium at least once a month and dose as required. I have found it has made a difference in keeping calcium and alk in balance - also notice that I have more coraline growth which isn't always a good thing when it is on the glass/acrylic.

Edit: I also run magnesium chips in my calcium reactors so do not have to dose near as often as I did before.

surgeonfish
09-18-2006, 03:55 AM
I do not test for calcium. I was told that if you get a white ring around your tank and/or sump at the water level your magnesium level is low. Has anyone noticed this? For those who test regulary do you find you also have to add Mg regularly? If so what kind of supplement are you using?
Tanks

Quagmire
09-18-2006, 04:59 AM
I started to dose when I couldn't get my ca up.I had to dose weekly with water changes.Since Ive started useing a salt with higher mg,I dont think I'll have to dose as much,but I'll have to dose more ca as its lower in that.

The only white ring Ive ever gotten was salt creep

Johnny Reefer
09-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I have been testing for Mg, and dosing....up to now....but I'm just now going to stop. It has been conveyed to me that it is not necessary because I do not keep any SPS. Just LPS, softies and I have 1 clam, plus a handful of other inverts. I will continue to test for Ca and maintain that at ~325, but for Mg I have to answer...."No. I don't bother".

Cheers:smile:,

BMW Rider
09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
I test MG, CA and alk regularly. I find I need to periodically dose a bit of MG to maintain the levels. The CA and alk usually stay where I want them within acceptable limits.

Aquattro
09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
... it is not necessary because I do not keep any SPS. Just LPS, softies and I have 1 clam, .

All of the above critters need Ca just like SPS, so this would be a bad reason to allow Ca to drop below ~350. Clams and LPS especially need Ca, just as much as SPS.

And while I don't test or need Mg, if you have to in order to keep levels right for your critters, then by all means you should do it. IMHO

Johnny Reefer
09-18-2006, 06:08 PM
All of the above critters need Ca just like SPS, ...... Yes, I know they do.

.... so this would be a bad reason to allow Ca to drop below ~350. Clams and LPS especially need Ca, just as much as SPS. Well, now I'm getting conflicting advice.:confused:
Hard to know what to go with.

Edit: I got clarification on the ~325 ppm Ca thing. Disregard. ~350 it is. Thanx Brad.

Jaws
09-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I started dosing Mg after finding out mine was only at 1200 and natural sea water is well above that. I've never had that great coralline growth plus I've had poor coral growth as well as poor polyp extension. I haven't noticed a difference in coralline growth but my polyp extension has improved quite a bit probably also to do with the additional flow I added. I've also noticed a bit of an increase in growth and I'm still working on increasing it to the level it should be. I'm not sure how important Mg is for LPS and softies but because SPS are so finicky, I would definitely recommend dosing anything within reason that will mimic their natural habitat.

reeferaddict
09-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes, I know they do.

Well, now I'm getting conflicting advice.:confused:
Hard to know what to go with.

Edit: I got clarification on the ~325 ppm Ca thing. Disregard. ~350 it is. Thanx Brad.

Hey Mark...

I don't understand what the conflicting advice is here....

ANYTHING that has a calcium carbonate skeleton or shell NEEDS Calcium and Magnesium... and more importantly... Carbonates... Alkalinity is consumed at a much higher rate than anything than anything else. Having said that, natural sea water values are what we have to shoot for for all these levels.... Mag is acceptable at 1250 - 1400 ppm... Cacium anywhere between 380 and 480... and Alk at 8 - 11 dKH... LPS may not demand as much as SPS... but they are still STONY corals... same with clams... Magnesium is used at a much slower rate than Calcium... but is important to keep the Calcium and Carbonate BIO available... I keep my Mag at around 1300 and only have to test monthly and dose every two weeks... all my make up water is run through my Kalkreactor... and using Kalk actually depletes the Magnesium... some people that use Calcium Reactors report not having to dose Mag at all, as is also the case with people with low calcification demands that do regular water changes. I've never read anything to the contrary of what I have just explained, but if anyone wants to butt in and correct me... please do.

danny zubot
09-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Though I'm not as concerned with maintaining a specific level, I do test regulariliy and never let my levels drop below 1200ppm.

I notice right away that if my MG levels are low, I have a hard time keeping my Ca and Alk up too. Corals will usually become dull when MG is out of whack.

littlesilvermax
09-18-2006, 10:09 PM
See post #2 for my experiences with magnesium:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26590

Chad
09-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Everytime I have tested Mg its been pretty much spot on. I have the ring around my tank but I think its more from my dosing Kalk almost 24/7 that causes it.

Johnny Reefer
09-19-2006, 03:08 AM
.... I don't understand what the conflicting advice is here.... Hey Jim. How’s it goin’?

Okay. Well…I’m not sure how to answer this without making a total fool of myself. I do not claim to have a chemically inclined mind and quite honestly find that part of the hobby the most difficult to grasp and consequently the least interesting. I prefer the biological aspect. (I dropped out of Chem 11 after two days). I suppose I may have jumped into this thread a little too hastily, as I have been stagnant and despondent with the hobby for a spell due to space logistics, and need to re-educate myself about some aspects of it. ( Read: I’m not sure that I know what the hell I’m talking about when it comes to chemistry).

The short answer is the conflicting advice is the 325 vs. 350 ppm Ca. The reason for the conflicting advice is…… simple maintenance vs. actual growth.

A bit of history…. (and I hope I’m not hijacking this thread as that is not my intent)….I was in the LFS the other day (one guess only as to which one) chinwaggin’ with an employee (one guess only as to who). I was in need of a new Mg test kit as the one I had was dead. I forget how the conversation went, but it basically led to me being told that the LFS’ tanks were basically at 325 ppm Ca and that Mg wasn’t really a concern in those tanks as it was generally a given that they are always at least 1150-1200 ppm. Now, one thing that easily escapes me, and is becoming increasingly more apparent when consulting this source for advice, is that this source is a retailer, not a hobbyist (per se). So the short and dirty is that the LFS I speak of is concerned simply with maintaining the organisms while the average hobbyist is looking for growth. Hence the conflicting advice. While an LFS’ advice may be well intended, it’s not necessarily accurate for the hobbyist. So that takes care of the Ca part. The Mg part.....well, I walked out of that store without buying a new Mg kit, not so much because the LFS doesn't test for Mg, but rather, I recalled that when I was first reading up on the hobby 2 years ago, none of the reference books that I purchased and read hardly mentioned Mg at all, let alone suggested testing for it. The only reason I did start testing for it was out of curiousity and that lead to dosing and hitting a target parameter due to "unsatisfactory" results.

Hope this answers your question......?:redface:,

reeferaddict
09-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Heya Mark! I'm doing great! Thanks for asking! :mrgreen:

Allright... Mr or Ms. LFS has a different agenda than us reef geeks... they gotta maintain an organism for a short time... We need to do it long term... AND make them thrive and prosper... If your Mag is at 1100 and your Ca+ is at 350... then that just means that your animals will wither away a little slower than if the levels are at 900 and 250... :lol:

And lookit... I ain't no expert here... but what I do know is that 1250 - 1400 ppm Mag, 380 - 440 ppm Calcium and 8 - 11 dKH Alk is what NSW values are around a natural reef and what the animals grow and calcify at optimal rates that are equally as tied to current, lighting etc etc etc etc... there are almost too many variables which is why there is no ONE way to do this right... but these chemical elements are well within our grasp to control, so we might as well do it right? :smile:

It's taken me a few years to get as much figured out as I have which probably doesn't amount to much more than a pile of coonsh*t, but what the hey... I just can't help sharing... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Johnny Reefer
09-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, I couldn't help myself and tested Mg today. Ha ha. :lol:.
Um....can I change my vote? Yes, I bother. Yes, I test. Sometimes it's okay, other times I need to dose. Today it's okay.

Cheers:smile:,

Farrmanchu
09-20-2006, 11:15 AM
It wasn't an option in the Vote, but I dose with Mg, and don't test. Adding the right amount to the WC water is all I do, with great results so far.

littlesilvermax
09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
It wasn't an option in the Vote, but I dose with Mg, and don't test. Adding the right amount to the WC water is all I do, with great results so far.

Like my plan?

It has worked for me for over 2 years now (have not tested yet) and I still get insane growth!!!!!!!!!!

Farrmanchu
09-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Using your recipe has saved me from dealing with alot headaches. If I hadn't started using it, I'd be struggling with one parameter or another, and trying to figure all the chemistry out on my own. Many thanks from a newbie!

Quagmire
09-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Like my plan?

It has worked for me for over 2 years now (have not tested yet) and I still get insane growth!!!!!!!!!!

I think your plan is close to whats advised in this thread.Good call

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic45341-13-1.aspx

littlesilvermax
09-20-2006, 11:47 PM
I think your plan is close to whats advised in this thread.Good call

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic45341-13-1.aspx

I spent a few years devising it!

Thanks, I am now the likes of Calfo, well at least closer.

FishFun
09-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Hey all, heres a question for ya, how long after a mag dose should you wait to test????