PDA

View Full Version : how do i get green algee to not come back

niger trigger
08-31-2006, 09:11 PM
i have a 90 g tank i got the red algee to not come back but now im just working on getting green stuff to stay away

reeferaddict
08-31-2006, 09:22 PM
It just takes time for all the biological & chemical things to balance, along with some kind of nutrient load. Algaes need phosphates and/or nitrates to take hold & grow, so you need to do a little reading up on nutrient control or it will only get progressively worse. Once you have nitrates/phosphates down to proper levels <10ppm nitrate & ZERO phosphate, your algae problem will cease being a problem, but like I said, it takes time. Efficient skimming, new bulbs, low bioload all help to make an algae free tank, but it will require going through the learning curve because there is no ONE solution. Feed less, use RO/DI water for all water added to the tank, do some water changes & possibly cut back on your lighting will all be positive steps though... :biggrin:

danny zubot
08-31-2006, 09:51 PM
I find that keeping my ph and alk slightly higher really helps cut down on many types of algea. Many corals don't mind the higher alk as well.

trilinearmipmap
08-31-2006, 11:52 PM
I use the multifactorial approach.

1. Skimming etc. to keep good water quality
2. Yellow Tang
3. Snails

StirCrazy
09-01-2006, 12:42 AM
bleach, and sterile additions after that.

Steve

danny zubot
09-01-2006, 03:03 PM
A lawnmower blennie couldn't hurt either.

Quagmire
09-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Hmm lets see,so many things you can do.But without knowing the culprit,who knows what will work.How about lots of high % water changes,go easy on the flake if you feed it,rinse frozen food before feeding it,get rid of uneaten food after feeding,keep mech filters clean if you use them,change bulbs if they are getting old,keep skimmer clean,try a refugium with chaeto if you dont already have one.Try them all and you should have some success,but don't get discouraged if you still have some algea,damn tenacious stuff.

adidas
12-29-2006, 12:47 AM
golden rabbit, fox face rabbit, purple tang, sailfin tang, and my yellow tang sure help with algae control

Der_Iron_Chef
12-29-2006, 02:22 AM
My sea hare has done a serious number on all kinds of algae. It poops like a @#$%, though!

1bigstud
02-03-2007, 01:44 AM
I had a sea hare and he was an algae eating machine!!! unfortunatley he had a bad encounter with a power head.

robzilla
02-03-2007, 02:33 AM
my sea hare had a run in with my trigger. damm expensive breakfast for my trigger :(