PDA

View Full Version : DI resin advice

fredfish
03-24-2002, 09:57 PM
There are a couple of online stores in the US that sell DI resins by the cubic foot at a much lower cost than retail. The trouble is, there is no description with the resins, you have to know what you want.

Is there an online resource anywhere that would explain the various dowex resins?

Thanks.
Fred

reefburnaby
03-28-2002, 11:14 PM
Hi,

Do you have a link to these online sites. I'll see if I can decipher it.

- Victor.

Marianne
04-06-2002, 09:59 AM
I am sorry about the delay in responding.

Anyway, resins, there are (as you found out) many types. I have found some manufactures out perform others. Many times we custom blend, depending on the properties of the batches.

As a manufacturer, when we receive resin batches we have to test them. If you do not, the quality control can go out the window.

The way DI resin is made is with a regeneration of hydrochloric acid and the other regenerate use is a very strong base.

If you do not check the pH before you "sell" these resins the results can be disastrous.

So it may appear that the mark up is big (and if all we did was buy it and resell it would be) there is a great deal more to it. The cost for shipping (they are very heavy, about 60 pounds per cubic foot) and preparing the resin, then filling cartridges, packing and so forth.

If it were really as simply as just buying and reselling, then someone would have the big discounts available.

As far as choice of resins, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. It has taking 20 years of my life in water treatment to figure out what works best for me, and about $100,000 in education.

So what sounds like a simple question, is really not.

You may really enjoy looking further into it, if you are a science type. Be prepared to spend alot of time and money to learn the resins and then you will gain a good understanding and most folks really do enjoy this sort of thing.

stephane
05-11-2002, 11:33 AM
I just came across this tread this what I know on this. http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000684#000000

AquariumPros.ca
09-29-2002, 05:51 PM
For those of you who were following this -

New Product available!! (http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/RODI/RefillableCanister.html)

HTH,