PDA

View Full Version : Dosing supplements?

reeferaddict
06-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Who's dosing what? Or are you getting it with just water changes?

Iodine? Strontium? Magnesium? Are you testing? And what are your results like?

I dose all 3 and test regularly to make sure I'm somewhere near NSW values. 10% weekly water changes aren't enough to keep the levels anywhere near NSW...

Joe Reefer
06-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Water changes and some mg when the coraline starts to recede.

christyf5
06-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Having a bare bottom I do a 15G water change weekly anyways which I hope covers most of the bases. I did get some Seachem samples of each listed to try at some point last fall. I attempted to dose over the course of a month but since I don't really have the test kits (who wants to spend that much on test kits? :razz:) I felt that really just pouring the stuff in there blindly wasn't making much sense (even though I was following the directions on the back of the bottle). Also the dosing regimen and lack of "noticeable difference" in any of my inhabitants were a deterrent to continued use.

TheReefGeek
06-22-2006, 10:28 PM
I dose iodone right now.

I don't measure, I'm a baaaaaaad reefkeeper :mrgreen:

If I haven't seen a shrimp molt in a while, I put in 1/4 the dose the bottle recommends.

And usually I see a molt fairly soon after, so it works for me. :)

BMW Rider
06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
I dose some MG if it tests low, but it hasn't since I got my CA reactor. I do water changes of 25 gallons every two weeks. I figure that should keep everything else in line.

Jaws
06-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Can you overdose on Mg. I understand you need to dose a lot of Magnesium to achieve the proper level.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-23-2006, 06:54 AM
I dose Liquid Reactor every day or two & a few drops of Lugol's Solution (iodine concentrate) every week. Liquid Reactor has Strontium & Magnesium in it already.

vanreefer
06-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Mg when the test kit tells me to...

danny zubot
06-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Magnium & iodine.

I had a plate coral that was almost completely white with no polyp extension. I started dosing iodine and it has 75% recovered now.

I used to dose strontium but noticed negative effects, most likely because i wasn't testing me strontium levels. I've stopped an all is well.