PDA

View Full Version : Ponds?

cprowler
05-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I was wondering how may people have ponds or are thinking or adding a pond. I thought a forum for ponds would be a good idea to help fellow ponders for the same reasons as reefing. What do you think?

Please chime in and give your opinion and post a pic if you have one.

BMW Rider
05-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I have a pond, but I don't think there is a need for a dedicated pond section on Canreef. Its not really the big focus of the site nor is the freshwater. Many of us do have some freshwater tanks or ponds so this section is nice so we can share our alternate side of the hobby. Perhaps all that needs to be done is to change the section title to include ponds.

Osiris
05-15-2006, 03:39 AM
I think it would be a good idea. I don't have one yet because I rent right now.I find Canreef good for other people's experiences with marine life and such. It would probably be good for the same reasons, since most of us have more then one type of water pets.

my 2 cents

Wayne

TRS
05-15-2006, 01:19 PM
I have had a 350 galllon pond with waterfall for several years, but I only keep it as a water feature for the wife's backyard. I really lost interest in it and my other freshwater tanks since my introduction to saltwater.

Ponds and freshwater forums should be separate from saltwater.

cprowler
05-16-2006, 04:53 AM
So if your not interested in a pond forum where people can discuss the challenges unique to this area and where to find quality livestock and dry goods and discuss predators and plant life unique to their zone, you don't want anyone else to be able to have the forum either.

I agree this is a reef site and would not have brought it up if it weren’t for the freshwater section in the first place. I count 37 different forums and I only go in the ones I have an interest in, I'm not sure if one more will bog down the site.

I see that some times a pond thread is posted in the Freshwater forum but not many, I did a search for ponds and selected “Show Results as threads” and only two repossess came up in 2006 and they went back as far as 2002 on the first page.

I think having 38 forums instead of 37 would not be a great burden and if it’s not something that interests you, you don’t have to go in. I only went into Freshwater looking for pond stuff.

cprowler
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
8 no 6 yes, not a ringing endorsement either way. 118 people have viewed this and only 14 have voted. :question:

Palster
05-31-2006, 03:05 AM
A definite yes from me. I have a 9000 gallon pond in my back yard which I enjoy equally as much as my marine aquarium.

demon666
05-31-2006, 05:13 AM
i voted yes but dont have a pond........ i might but dont know if ill ever have or want one but i think it would be neat to have a forum on it......

Werbo
06-01-2006, 02:53 AM
If interested in building a pond, buying equipment, maintenance, buy/sell, ect.
What is the Canreef equivalent on the web (for BC) ?

What is the Reefcentral equivalent?

Is there a pond of the month forum like Reef Magazines tank of the month?

seashells
06-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Pond forum would be a good idea. We have a 300 gallon pond and waterfall with goldfish. Like to sit back, feed the fish and listen to the water. Very relaxing on a warm summer afternoon. We put it in before I attended courses on building and installing ponds and streams. Real easy day project if you have the right equipment and a few friends. Its amazing how a stream can cut down road noise too. Almost feels like you're camping in your backyard without the travel.

Doug

Ruth
06-03-2006, 05:10 AM
I voted sure although I doubt I will ever have a pond - hell I have 30 acres of wilderness for my home why change perfection. I still think if people want a specific pond section go for it - who knows if we choose we all might learn something.

Montana
06-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I have a 800 gal pond and i love it. A pond section would be a good idea. we all learn something from this sight every day about living creatures algae plants , the only difference is salt or fresh water. we all try and make the best oasis of life possible in our tanks why not in the back yard.

cprowler
06-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Good to see more people taking part.

Does anyone have any pics?

Here are two from last year.

http://oceanv.net/pics/albums/album01/Dcp04050.jpg

http://zld.ca/pond/koi.jpg

pocilipora
06-11-2006, 04:21 AM
How do you guys keep Herrons away? I find the pond way more relaxing than my reef at times

cprowler
06-11-2006, 04:46 AM
I think one way is to have the pond fairly deep, mine is 2 1\2 to 3’ deep with straight walls and no shelves. I know Herons are tall but that’s pushing it, we also have 5 cats patrolling the yard. :mrgreen:

Having a deep pond is good for keeping out Raccoons also, if they can’t touch the bottom they supposedly wont go in, if they can they can eat everything in no time at all.

It’s also good for the temps in the summer and the added water volume.

I’ve seen on some other sites where they suggest 5’ and deeper.

Palster
06-11-2006, 05:48 AM
My pond is 5 feet deep with straight walls and no shelves and it definitely keeps the fish safe from the predators. I once witnessed a Heron try and come in for a landing and my 95 pound German Shepherd put the run on it. I live in a rural area with lots of predatory animals living nearby and have never lost a fish to predators. I think this is due to having dogs patrolling the yard and the fact that my pond is so deep.

bullit67
10-11-2006, 10:35 PM
we should definatly have a pond forum sounds like many of us have ponds I have a 10,000 Gal pond and it is way more relaxing then my reef all I see when I sit and look at my reef is work seams there is always somthing that needs to be done on a reef tank. Now as for keeping herons away they can only stand in water about 18 inches deep But they will fish from shore but this limits the depth they can fish too a pond of 3 feet deep is plenty deep to protect the fish (if they are smart enough to go deep ) you can get a motion actvated sprinkler called a scare crow these help but if it is a problem bird (keeps coming back ) it will get used to it. if you have any other ? feel free to ask me I have been keeping koi for about 11 years now and have even gone as far as going to koi health seminars

Midknight
10-11-2006, 10:50 PM
we should definatly have a pond forum sounds like many of us have ponds I have a 10,000 Gal pond

Isn't that called a swimming pool?:lol:

bullit67
10-11-2006, 11:42 PM
It is close to a swimming pool 18X15X5 feet deep here are some pics

http://www3.telus.net/public/a1a65761/