PDA

View Full Version : Tank Record Keeping

BMW Rider
04-02-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm interested in what others are keeping in the way of logs or records of their maintenance and inhabitants. Do you record everything down to the most minute detail, or do you have only a vague reccollection that you've done some maintenance sometime recently.

Also, if you do keep a log, how do you keep it? Is it just a written log, spreadsheet, or dedicated software?

Ruth
04-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm not very good at keeping a record of livestock additions/losses and I should be particularly with coral as I can never remember the names of them. Most of my fish I remember approx. when I added them and also if I lose any - which thankfully has been very few after I figured out that my SOB dottyback was chasing my gobies into the carpet anemone.
Water params I test at least once a month and record my readings on a simple table in Word. I test for Ca. Alk/DKH, magnesium and phosphates unless I see a problem and then I might also test for nitrates, nitrites and very rarely ammonia unless I am getting a nitrite reading of some kind. On occasion I test for Iodine and Strontium. I use all Salifert tests with the exeption of Phosphates which I use I Hanna colorimeter for and calcium which I use a pinpoint calcium monitor for. I do test each new bucket of salt that I open but do not record the readings.

Johnny Reefer
04-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Mostly water params.
Also livestock additions/losses, price, where/when bought, size.
Diseases/abnormalities. Medications/attempts to correct.
Major changes, upgrades, repairs.
Maintenance? Not really. I record additives dosed in the water params spreadsheet. Otherwise, that's it.

I do this for FW and SW.

Cheers:smile:,

hawaiiguy
04-03-2006, 04:02 AM
I've been recording just about everything so far but that could be because I just started my first ever SW tank and I just want to do it right! I use a notebook for handwritten logs. I have sections for feeding, timeline, costs, species, and notes. EVERYTHING goes under timeline and then if something applies to another catergory, it goes there too. I'm thinking it would probably be good to have a separate section for water parameters though.

seashells
04-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Maybe rather than all that writing, try entering the data into microsoft Project. Myself I just record weekly water parameters. As for costs..Well probalby too much...Actually I don't think I want to know. Othr stuff I will likely record would be illnesses and corrective actions.

Doug

EmilyB
04-03-2006, 09:12 AM
The first few years into the hobby, I kept a journal. It included all things that I did. I really sort of miss that.

Now I record the test results I do on occasion and if they are good, I chuck the paper...:lol:

Quagmire
04-03-2006, 01:03 PM
I used to record everything when I first started out,but now I just mark my bulbs so I know when to replace them.

Johnny Reefer
04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Maybe rather than all that writing, try entering the data into microsoft Project. .....
Microsoft Project costs $900.00.
A bit pricey if one has no other use for it to justify that expense.:sad:

Cheers:smile:,

wetcoast
04-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I use Tanklogger (http://tanklogger.sourceforge.net) - I've modified it a bit to adjust to my likings, but works great. And... Free.

BMW Rider
04-03-2006, 02:39 PM
I have all these records, and was just trying to figure out if there was really a point to keeping it since I seldom ever look back at them. I know where I want my parameters to be, and recognize a deviance from them readily.

Sounds like I'm on the same page as most with my record keeping. I too kept a detailed log at first, just hand written. Now I have a simple spreadsheet in MS Excel that I keep track of my water parameters and basic maintenance. I have been keeping my bulb changes noted in there now too. I have looked at a couple of programs, but they seemed to difficult to setup and not entirely suited to what I want anyway. I have been considering going automated with a controller someday when I feel rich enough. Then I might use the data logging to track the monitored parameters if only because it would be simple(r) to do.

Beverly
04-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I keep records of alk, Ca, Mg and pH tests and how much of whatever I dose. All are handwritten in either a binder or coil-bound notebook. Can't be bothered wasting my time to transpose the written records onto my computer.

No need to keep track of maintenance because we basically do the same maintenance weekly.

As for new fish or corals, I only keep records of fish disease treatment, though I can't remember the last time I treated a sick fish.

I often make a video of new a fish, with the date of the video in the file name.

All light bulbs (or lightbulbs, if you prefer :wink:) are changed every 9 months, and we mark that on the calendar in advance so we know when to change them next. Same with various RO/DI cartridge changes.

Tom R
04-03-2006, 06:33 PM
I keep records of water testing results, water changes, additive dosing and anything else I deem worth while. I use a large calendar with each day having a 1 - 2" square to record my info.(test results, quantity of dosage etc).

I also use post-it notes applied to RO chambers, Kalk reactor and Calcium reactor showing the date last change.

For my light bulbs I record the date I put it into service with a permanent marker right on the bulb.

I have not found a decent and inexpensive software program that is also convenient to use for this info. If anyone out there has any suggestions of good software to look at I would be interested.

Tom R

mark
04-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Use http://www.craigcentral.com/tankdata.asp

It's simple but works. I setup with a tab for notes (purchases, events, etc) and a second for chemistry.

Denis
04-04-2006, 02:50 AM
I use ReefCon.
http://www.infinitysoft.net

Chrismo
04-04-2006, 05:22 PM
I use Aquanotes, which records and graphs all the data from my aquacontrollerII. It's kinda neat to see the trends, how PH rises and falls day& night along with ORP and temp.

Occasionally I log something like a fish having eggs or something. but rarely. I used to keep track of it all by hand when I first started. But that lost it;s luster.

I really should keep track of when I bought bulbs, but I never have.., Has it been a year yet? Hmmm

:)

Dad
04-12-2006, 04:51 AM
I use ReefCon Pro (http://www.infinitysoft.net/) It keeps track of everything.

saltaddict
04-17-2006, 07:16 AM
what a concept. I am gonna start keeping track of my tank more closely. ....Something beneficial to my tank ..... and free OMG!

JHG
04-20-2006, 05:14 AM
I record a number of things, mostly when the tank is new and just becoming established.

Phaythe
04-20-2006, 07:22 AM
I don't keep tabs, but after speaking with a whole bunch of experts, I may just start!

danny zubot
05-23-2006, 08:46 PM
I used to keep a hand written book for my water perameters and visual changes in lifestock, for reference from water change to water change. I don't anymore because the tank has matured now and I know more what to expect based on the symptoms I see.

Chaloupa
05-24-2006, 12:11 AM
I monitor all water parameters and when I change any filters/RO stuff or lights....any new stuff as in equipment or livestock I record in my blog, or any other interesting info or stuff.