PDA

View Full Version : CanReef At Work?

Johnny Reefer
03-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Just wondering about CanReef activity of those who have internet access at work.

Do you log on at work?

Hope I haven't included too many choices, but it's sort of relative to my curiousity.

Thanx much and cheers:smile:,

digital-audiophile
03-29-2006, 09:18 PM
That's where I am right now ;)

SJSobczyk
03-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I am at work as well. I could be out selling, instead i am spending.

Steve

Beermaster
03-29-2006, 09:22 PM
It is constantly on my screen here at work :mrgreen:

muck
03-29-2006, 09:31 PM
It is constantly on my screen here at work :mrgreen:
What?!?! You work Mark... I thought you were a stay-at-home MOM. :razz:

Jaws
03-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I pretty much check in periodically throughout the entire day, and all hours of the night every day. It's the only interesting part in my work day, except when I sneak out and go hang out at the LFS for a while. I hope they're not monitoring.

marie
03-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I have no internet or even a computer at work :lol:

Samw
03-29-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm lucky that Canreef hasn't been filtered out by our firewall or proxy server yet. :lol:

christyf5
03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
It's the only interesting part in my work day

Ditto. I'm sure one of these days I'm gonna get sooo busted :razz:

Invigor
03-29-2006, 10:31 PM
I have no internet or even a computer at work :lol:

ditto!

fishmanty
03-29-2006, 11:20 PM
No computer access...

Ruth
03-30-2006, 12:03 AM
I keep expecting the internet swat team to show up in my office.

christyf5
03-30-2006, 12:49 AM
I keep expecting the internet swat team to show up in my office.

:rofl:

EmilyB
03-30-2006, 01:02 AM
I work at home mostly, and I do a damn poor job of monitoring my internet activity..

Aquattro
03-30-2006, 01:37 AM
I'm surprised at the number of "monitored" responses. Is this fact, or do you think "they" are watching? We have an Internet usage policy, but nobody actually monitors anything!!

Ruth
03-30-2006, 01:55 AM
My understanding is we have an internet useage policy with the ability to monitor and that certain sites will set off alarms or something to alert big brother that you are into the nasty sites.

Johnny Reefer
03-30-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm surprised at the number of "monitored" responses. Is this fact, or do you think "they" are watching? We have an Internet usage policy, but nobody actually monitors anything!!
My employer has a usage policy as well. And yes, they do monitor it. Not like every single mouse click per se, but they do perform random checks to a certain %. And they have been known to come across "infringements". But I think most "infringements" are a result of ignorance in terms of being unaware of the policy. (Even though they should be).

Cheers:smile:,

Johnny Reefer
03-30-2006, 02:04 AM
My understanding is we have an internet useage policy with the ability to monitor and that certain sites will set off alarms or something to alert big brother that you are into the nasty sites.
That could be how ours works too. But then, I'm really not sure how they monitor it. It's probably a combination of methods. Alarms, hands on, .... I mean there are soooooooo many websites. How do you set an alert alarm to all the nastys?

Johnny Reefer
03-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Given the results, so far, I'd better get with it and start posting at work!:lol:

Murminator
03-30-2006, 03:16 AM
All..... day...... long :lol:

StirCrazy
03-30-2006, 04:33 AM

we actualy get inspected on a regular basis as to what sites have been visited. there is a log file generated every night and they run through sniffers and then randomly they are checked by actual humans.

Steve

Aquattro
03-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Steve, I believe the military would be an exception rather than the rule. We also run filters that will give red screens if inappropriate sites are visited, but logs are never checked.

Samw
03-30-2006, 05:28 AM

For me, it doesn't have to be actively monitored (having a guy sit there watching data movement) to be considered monitored. Just having your data go through a proxy server and data being logged alone to me is considered monitored. In other words, the company could simply run scripts at any time to analyze your usage. The reason they are logging data and making you run through a proxy server or firewall means that they want to find out which sites you are visiting and block selected sites. So I think that's good enough for a definition of monitored. And for the record, people that I know within my company (not me) :) have been warned before about visiting certain sites.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-30-2006, 06:16 AM
I work on my computer at home so I monitor myself. I'm a bad boy. On canreef & BCA all the time. Bad Anthony or as cindyt would say, "Bad hand-toe-knee".

My wife keeps asking how I get all my work done when I'm surfin fish-sites?

Anthony

Aquaholic
03-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Better then getting caught looking at pron.

wetcoast
03-30-2006, 05:23 PM
I run the network - so I'd only be monitoring myself, but we do monitor but do not actively review logs, I like to give my users the benefit of the doubt and let them take a breather once in a while. At the end of the day, if there are still results and timelines are met, then people are free to do as they please.

mark
03-30-2006, 06:30 PM
We have a monitoring policy but walk through our office and you can tell it's definitely not enforced (my boss walked into my office while I was typing this). I'm not worried though cause Canreef only on breaks of course :)

G1GY
03-31-2006, 05:57 AM
I worry that the guys at work will walk in and see me looking at fish instead of pron and think I'm some kind of nerd or something! :lol:

Myanth
04-01-2006, 02:22 AM
I work for myself and I'm way too busy to monitor internet usage. I geuss I just have to trust myself to not abuse the system... but if I do.... I'll be watching.

I may have answered the question incorrectly.

snaggle
04-01-2006, 05:00 PM
on the military server right now you can see the threads but you can not open them. it dose chages every now and then. The military has blocked forces.gc.ca before thogh I find that wierd.

Brad

seashells
04-01-2006, 07:40 PM
We both do....I'm the boss so guess i'm busted. Doug as well at his job, monitored and tracked. Well we do get coffee breaks.

dufferdan
04-01-2006, 10:22 PM
everyday since I joined.

JHG
04-20-2006, 05:16 AM
Of course I visit the site from work, usually when I have some downtime.

TheReefGeek
04-20-2006, 03:58 PM
I post from both work and home.