PDA

View Full Version : WTB - buffet or hutch that I can put my tank on

Fish
03-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Hello all,

I am looking for a piece of furniture that I can put in my kitchen nook to serve as a tank stand. I am hoping for something that looks nice enough to not look out of place beside the dining table. If anyone has anything that might fit the bill and is willing to sell, I;d love to hear from you!

- Chad

woodcarver
03-19-2006, 07:04 AM
There must be someone with a shop out there that could knock up a nice stand for Chad. This is one helpful innovative guy!
It would be an absolute shame for him to lose his beautiful nano tank and his little buddy
I could help if I lived closer but Victoria is quite some distance away ...........
Hope you get some help Chad........
Dave

Beverly
03-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Chad,

Why not just go shopping for a new piece of furniture to compliment the decor of your home?

Fish
03-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the kind words Dave. I still have a couple months, I should be able to find something...
Cheers!

Fish
03-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Chad,

Why not just go shopping for a new piece of furniture to compliment the decor of your home?

That's a good idea Bev, but my wife doesn't exactly share my love of marine aquaria - and I've already put her through a lot with all of my different projects over the last four years. I think that drilling the top of another brand new peice of furniture (yup I've done it before) might be pushing my luck. Bringing the tank back home is a hard-won concession but I could lose negotiations if the process becomes too expensive or complicated.

Dang, if only I hadn't built that home-made above-tank trickle filter disguised as a flower planter on my 90gal. Or the time I had a blue damsle kill a $50 baby blue tang within 24 hours of adding it to the tank. Or the crack in the glass of my old 20gal, and subsequent carpet flood... yup I sure burned through a lot of brownie points with those adventures.
Can anyone else relate to my predicament? Surely I'm not the only one who married a muggle ( :

SerLunchbox
03-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Why not get a quote from Majestic Aquariums. They make what looks to be really nice looking stands.

Ruth
03-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Chad it's spring (well it's supposed to be anyway!) and that means garage sales should start up real soon. I have found some really nice antique dresser's, tables, and buffets at garage sales over the years. If you were closer I would give you an old dresser that I have in my shed - you know those "some day I am going to refinish this solid wood kinda beat up dresser and it will be soooo nice" (the ones we hide in the shed just waiting for the right mood to stike? - I hope I'm not the only one with multiple unfinished projects in my shed)
Anyway maybe try doing a garage sale Saturday and see what you find.

Fish
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Ruth,
That would be perfect. I will keep my eyes open for a garage sale... as soon as it stops snowing.

- Chad

Beverly
03-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Dang, if only I hadn't .....

Well, I certainly see your dilemma :wink: You're just too darned creative for your own good :biggrin:

We are in the process of finding a new computer desk for me so that the one I currently use can go into another room. That other room has a small buffet with hutch that will have to be sold. It's very old and from my husband's side of the family, made of pine I think. If you want, I could take a pic and post it.

Fish
03-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Bev,
That would be awesome! If it is an antique or an heirloom I would feel bad about drilling the top of it. If you are going to sell it anyway though, I would love to see a picture of it. You could post one, or email it to me at: chadnheather{at}gmail{dot}com

Thanks

- Chad

G1GY
03-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Do you want to convert an old cabinet style stereo over to a stand? You just gut the electrics out and make the rest how you want it. If so PM me and I can hook you up with a 1970's floor model stereo that you can make a realy cool stand out of. :)

Fish
03-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Gary,

That's a neat idea. It would probably work, depending on the dimensions of the cabinet. I am putting it in a 5' wide nook and it would need to be tall enought that I could fit my cannister filter inside. Would you mind scoring me a photo or measurments too?
Man this is a great community.

- Chad

G1GY
03-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Gary,

That's a neat idea. It would probably work, depending on the dimensions of the cabinet. I am putting it in a 5' wide nook and it would need to be tall enought that I could fit my cannister filter inside. Would you mind scoring me a photo or measurments too?
Man this is a great community.

- Chad

It's at my in-laws house. I'll grab it in the next couple of days and bring it to my place.

Yes it is big enough for the cannister underneath it. As a matter of fact, it's one of the models with the cabinet door that covers the front to conceal all of the stereo stuff. :)

Beverly
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Will get pics and dimensions to you later today, I hope.

Beverly
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Pic of the buffet and hutch.....

Buffet - 35 1/4" x 17" x 34" high.
Bottom shelf adjustable/removeable.
Right door stained glass is missing, but remaining glass and missing glass can be replaced with anything you like.

Hutch - 32 1/2" x 11 1/2" x 27 1/2" high.
Height of bottom shelf 10 5/8", not adjustable.

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/buffet-hutch.jpg

Let me know if this suits your needs and is acceptable to your wife :wink:

Fish
03-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Bev,
Thank you for getting back to me with that info. It looks quite lovely and I think that it will fit the job. The only thing that I can think of is I might need to block the cupboard windows so that you can't see the equipment inside. Would you mind pm'ing me how much you wouldlike for it. Do you need it out of the house right away or do I have some time to explore sone of these other options? Thanks again!

- Chad

Beverly
03-23-2006, 10:07 PM
PM sent.