PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Type

titus
12-18-2005, 05:02 AM
Which is the ideal skimmer in your opinion?

Invigor
12-18-2005, 01:39 PM
i chose "not sure", but I run a beckett injected skimmer

http://invigor.sasktelwebsite.net/skimmer.jpg

Ruth
12-18-2005, 02:57 PM
I voted recirculating as I am running both my large skimmers as recirculating. The Bubble King is built this way and is in my veiw the best skimmer I have ever seen in action. My ASM G4X has been modded to be recirculating and also works very well. I have never tried a beckett although I do have one kicking around that I should either use on my cube or sell.

StirCrazy
12-18-2005, 03:52 PM
I have no idea what you mean by most of those options, you have 3 Venturis, 2 needle wheels, co-current need a bit more explaining as I have no idea what co-current is
as far as the different ventures are concerned, they all work the same it is just how they are sized for the skimmer/pump combination. I find Beckett's will take a lot of crap before they plug up and Mazzi is good for larger skimmers with small pumps, but having said that there are some large mazzi injectors out there for large flow applications. so draw backs for ventures, Beckett- needs a lot of pump to make it work. Mazzi- way to frigging expensive (3 to 4 X the cost of a Beckett) and plug up faster than Beckett. Generic Venturi- If you shop around you can find them very cheep and will work exactly the same as a Mazzi (as mazzi is designed off a basic classical venturi. as for needle wheels is there anywhere you can buy the pumps here? I would like to try one out. I am making a new skimmer and I wouldn't mind trying a needle wheel on it to see the difference is foam.

Steve

Murminator
12-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I voted not sure because I have no experience with skimmers. Maybe someone with experience in all these could start a thread showing all the differences and how they work.
I will need a new skimmer soon and I have leaning towards the coralife super skimmer just because I have seen it in action and played around with it and it seems simple to operate.

rickjames
12-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Where is the option for needle wheel? I guess they count as a standard venturi? The title says best skimmer but the poll seems more to the effect of "best way to suck air" :D

Samw
12-18-2005, 08:03 PM
co-current need a bit more explaining as I have no idea what co-current is

I think Co-current is the grandfather of skimmer designs. Water and bubbles enter at the bottom of the tube. Counter-current would be having the water enter at the top of the tube and exit at the bottom so that bubbles have a harder time rising to the top and will stay in the chamber longer. Co-current therefore is less efficient I think.

I voted for the AquaC because I think the Remora/Urchin are compact with a small footprint, don't overflow, is efficient, and don't need plumbing. For my small tank, that is ideal. My vote got deleted though when Titus changed the poll items I think. I can't vote again.

fishguyxd
12-18-2005, 11:49 PM
I also voted "not sure " due to lack of experience and also will be getting one in the new yr. and think a thread on the types and options the all have would be great to know for all new reefers and old.

titus
12-19-2005, 02:30 AM
Hello,

Sam is right on the co-current and counter current explanation. I have also added 1 to the Aqua C for you.

Sorry forgot needle wheel. But they are venturi based also.

Titus

Johnny Reefer
12-19-2005, 04:01 AM
Voted "Not Sure".

I use a Prizm Pro Deluxe, which I believe is a Generic Venturi...if I'm not mistaken.
But that's all I've used so don't know which type is ideal.
I'd like to switch to a Beckett, someday, but they all seem so damn tall!
I'd be hard pressed to fit one in my cabinet.

Cheers,

StirCrazy
12-19-2005, 03:05 PM
I think Co-current is the grandfather of skimmer designs. Water and bubbles enter at the bottom of the tube. Counter-current would be having the water enter at the top of the tube and exit at the bottom so that bubbles have a harder time rising to the top and will stay in the chamber longer. Co-current therefore is less efficient I think.

ok may be semantics but Co-current doesn't mean counter current, when you have a Co-something it means together so two currents together in the same direction. so I thought it was a different one I didn't know about.

Steve

Samw
12-19-2005, 07:36 PM
ok may be semantics but Co-current doesn't mean counter current, when you have a Co-something it means together so two currents together in the same direction. so I thought it was a different one I didn't know about.

Steve

Hi Steve. I'm missing your point. No one said Co-Current is the same as Counter current. Co-current is something like the Sander Piccolo or the Coralife airstone skimmer. Counter Current is something like Lee's airstone Protein Skimmer.

StirCrazy
12-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi Steve. I'm missing your point. No one said Co-Current is the same as Counter current. Co-current is something like the Sander Piccolo or the Coralife airstone skimmer. Counter Current is something like Lee's airstone Protein Skimmer.

I was going by the choices above and asked what co-current was.. sorry got confused. my next question is why isn't there a counter current option then:mrgreen:

Steve

titus
12-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Hello,

Because most skimmers are either co-current (Bullet 1 to 3, ETSS, Aqua C, etc), or re-circulating. There are some counter current but re-circulating almost covers it in a way. I just think counter current will give more time for the bubbles to work, which is the same thing as what a re-circulating one does.

Titus

fishguyxd
12-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I think we should continue this poll and get the pro's and cons to them all.

JHG
04-20-2006, 05:19 AM
I'm a skimmer newbie and am still learning... Recommendations for my 42G would be welcome.

TheReefGeek
04-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Where would ASM fit in this poll? I know they are needlewheel with venturi, would this be "generic venturi"?