PDA

View Full Version : coral growth

outtafocus
11-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Is there a trick or supplement that people use to promote coral growth?
I has a few zoos and a colt I was hoping would start expanding or at least increase in size but so far neither has done much.

My light is good, a 150w hqi 14000k halide with 40w of 50/50 pc supplement.
Any tips?

deacon hemp
11-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Would need more info?...........how bigs the tank?,how long has it been setup?,whats your water paramaters?ect.

danny zubot
11-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Yes, Ca, Alk & MG levels as well as salinty, Ph and water flow, then we can help you out. But realistically, watching corals grow can be like waiting for the kettle to boil. If you are patient, you'll see the growth in time.

outtafocus
11-24-2005, 11:08 PM
I wasnt looking for specific info for my tank, mostly looking for any tips, like feeding certain foods.
But if coral grows slow then it grows slow.
I have heard people talk about some types of zoos growing like weeds, just thought there might be a trick

Delphinus
11-25-2005, 01:41 AM
Some do, some don't. The general rule of thumb is, the prettier the zoo or the more coveted, the slower it's going to grow. :lol: You think I'm kidding, don't you. :razz:

In general, Calcium and alkalinity are used by most reef building corals. You hear Ca and alk referred to in terms of stoney corals and clams, but to a degree all things use these to some extent. However with water changes, you can easily maintain things without having to fuss about the numbers so much (it's when you get into SPS and clams that you indeed you probably should start paying more attention to those parameters).

deacon hemp
11-25-2005, 06:03 AM
Heres just a personal thing,zoa's seem to grow fast for me and i dont have perfect water! no skimming,just once a week 10% waterchanges and do move them around.I get new polyps per week on some of the (harder) ones!

NanoReef
11-25-2005, 01:09 PM
zoos dont like being moved, leave them be in one spot and they will grow better. also, keep your calcium levals i little higher than normal. mine grow like crazy and i dont even have the lights you do!

OCDP
11-25-2005, 02:16 PM
zoos dont like being moved, leave them be in one spot and they will grow better. also, keep your calcium levals i little higher than normal. mine grow like crazy and i dont even have the lights you do!

this is not entirely true....

if your zoos are on a nice chunk of rock with room to spread on that rock... you can move them where you'd like. it's only once the zoos start spreading off the rock when it becomes a problem obviously. zoos are hardy and indestructable IME , they can be placed nearly anywhere you please... ideal spots would be a moderate flow and as much light as possible to bring colours out and promote growth.

WWWD
11-25-2005, 04:32 PM
ive found that pretty much anytime i have moved any of my zoos they stop growing for a few weeks until they get settle back in and feel compfortable.

Gizmo
11-25-2005, 08:23 PM
I use Iodine Supplements from Kent Marine, Keep the calcium levels high, and dose Tech-I every 2 weeks, Coral-Vite every week and Coral-Accel every day. I've noticed my Zoo's do very well and my colt has quadroupled in size every 6 months or so. I've been very happy with this product and it has helped my corals grow. For feeding I make a batch of blended mysis, a color enhancing flake and cyclopleeze for the fish, but a lot gets to the corals as well.