PDA

View Full Version : Eradicating Anthelia

trilinearmipmap
10-16-2005, 11:42 PM
I have Anthelia growing excessively in my tank, I am trying to control it by limiting nutrients and by trimming it back, however it is a tenacious pest.

Is there anything that eats anthelia but won't eat other soft and hard corals? And has anyone found a good way to get rid of anthelia?

psuedo
10-16-2005, 11:46 PM
start ripping it out and pull the rocks out of your tank and scrub them off and dip the rock. I can now say that I finally have no anthelia in my tank, and I have never been happier

trilinearmipmap
10-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Dip the rock in what? Freshwater?

reeferaddict
10-17-2005, 01:07 AM
Wow! Killing corals.... things that make you go hmmm... I think Anthelia is a very pretty coral, have had some in my tank for 3+ years and it has been healthy and stayed on the rock on which it came... if you really want to get rid of it, try removing some of the rocks and trading with the LFS for things you want... as for things that eat it... I wouldn't say this is a natural occurence, but when I first set up my tank, my Bicolor Blenney literally MOWED the stuff down... thankfully it grew back better than ever... :eek:

psuedo
10-17-2005, 02:31 AM
If it is a weed and you are having trouble with it suffocating other other corals like I did, then I had to eradicate it somehow.
I wasn't being unethical in my comment, I was just offering up what I had to do to get it out of my tank. I did trade a whole crap load of it before its final demise in my tank though.

reeferaddict
10-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Sorry... I wasn't questioning your ethics by any stretch. :redface: Just my form of sarcasm... I WISH I could have that problem.... maybe in a few more years... :mrgreen:

psuedo
10-17-2005, 02:40 AM
Yes, I did dip them in freshwater

trilinearmipmap
10-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Unfortunatly my corals are either glued on or encrusted on to my rocks.

I will go with strict nutrient control and manual trimming while I look for an animal that will eat anthelia - I will read up on bicolor blennies.

reeferaddict
10-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Oh please don't think that a Bicolor Blenny will be the answer... :redface: This was just an unusual behaviour I observed from my individual.... I had rearranged the tank, and apparently he didn't like the new view or something because he literally picked at every head until the whole colony was just a bunch of bit off short stalks. Then he left it alone and over the next year it regained its former splendour.

I think if you slice them off at the base and tried elasticing or gluing to small pieces of rock you could trim and encourage them to grow into frags to trade or sell.