PDA

View Full Version : Herd of horses

AndyL
10-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Haven't figured it out... Just keep getting more somehow :) Only 1 barbouri from the original 3 survived, got alberts remaining histrix (thanks again bud), then added two more that seem to be some kind of reidi crosses.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/129330xh100405herd.jpg

Now if only the local shops would start getting ghosts in again... The histrix decimated the remaining 20 overnight ;)

Andy

Beverly
10-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Andy,

Nice SHs :cool: They need a much better environment, though. Have a look at the pics at my old SH webpage for some ideas on how to improve their home...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-28gal-whitei.htm

AndyL
10-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Tank is still a work in progress, it was setup for seahorses using the recommendations from seahorse.org and sygnathid.com among other resources. It meets their basic needs which is what's important.

In time it will progress into something more pleasant to the eye.

Andy

Beverly
10-08-2005, 09:51 PM
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, I just have a very soft spot for SHs :lilangel:

Providing more hitching, hunting and hiding places in the vastness of the tank will lower their stress levels. Even if you just put in a few more cheap fake plants, you will help them quite a bit psychologically, until you get the tank the way you want it.

Bob I
10-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Speaking of fake plants. I have some I tried to give away, but nobody showed up. If you want them say so. Otherwise into the garbage they will go. :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
10-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Andy,

Nice SHs :cool: They need a much better environment, though. Have a look at the pics at my old SH webpage for some ideas on how to improve their home...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-28gal-whitei.htm

tell us how you realy feel Bev :rolleyes:

Andy, your off to a good start, I am sure lots of people will be able to give you pointers and such. not me though I leave sea horses to other people with more time than I have.

Steve

Beverly
10-08-2005, 11:43 PM
tell us how you realy feel Bev :rolleyes:

Ouch.

AndyL
10-09-2005, 12:19 AM
The direction i'm headed with the tank, will be much more SH friendly, right now they seem quite content - though it doesn't show in the picture, they've got more hitches overhead, and all seem to prefer hitching around the filter intake anyway.

Plan for the tank involves headed back to my roots (planted freshwater), just trying to finding the right macros and seagrasses to make it work.

Andy

geopod
10-09-2005, 03:32 AM
Andy, I have a couple of Kuda's myself.I have them in a tank by themselves.Bev I noticed on your lost marbles website.You say you never had corals iin there....is there a reason?I put in a few pieces of zoo's and a small candy cane frag for some color.Should I be removing these items?
Presently I have the two SH in a 15 gal.they are just baby ones Bev.As soon as I get home in a couple weeks I am setting up my 40gal tal for them.Andy have you found any sources for the red macro?Or stuff like that.I want to add weeddy stuff but not the plastic fakes.Keep me infromed Andy on your progress.Maybe we can learn from each other in the process.Seahorse fanatic also used to have them as well.

george

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-09-2005, 03:48 AM
For corals, my seahorses loved hanging onto corky finger (photosyn. gorgonian). They also liked prolifera (macroalgae). Seahorses like to be fed often, which makes for high nutrients in the water (a good reason to not to put most types of corals in SH tanks). Zoos should be ok because they seem to thrive in high nutrient tanks.

I don't have a proper tank set up for seahorses right now, so my buddy cc_bruno is trying to breed mine with his ponies :biggrin: I would recommend to anyone even considering getting SHs to set up a tank several months ahead of time to allow the pod/mysis population to build up. Its horrible how many times people buy "frozen mysis eating captive-bred seahorses" and take them home, just to have their new prized horses not eat frozen mysis. If a refugium is plumbed in-line, that would make it even better. Having a healthy pod population is just good insurance in case the stress of transport (even from the LFS to your tank) throws the SHs off their feed.

If your SHs aren't eating frzn foods, then you can order ghost shrimp or mysis or other live foods off the net, but that gets crazy expensive real fast. Another reason why SHs are really not a good choice for most reefers. Also, if you only have time to feed once a day, your ponies will probably starve over time.

In the last couple of months, I've had plenty of opportunity to Buy SHs, but resisted the temptation because I'm not really set up for them right now. Love 'em but I'm trying to follow my own advice.

Anthony (SeaHorseless_Fanatic :redface: )

geopod
10-09-2005, 04:27 AM
Anthony,

I have talked to you before about the SH.I have my tank set with live food also.They eat both frozen and live food.They chase the copepods around the tank then eat them But also eat the frozen stuff.I am always adding livefood as well.I have a buddy that sends me copepods from Nova Scotia.All I pay is shipping.As the larger tank is set up in a few weeks it will have a fuge in line and LR from my main 90 gal will be added to it as the mysid shrimp is in abundance in the rock and they should populate the fuge in time.Also I will add the copepods there as well.They eventually cycle into the tanks.My mandrin knows where to sit and wait for his diner to come.So coral is not a good idea...ok Thats good to know.I will be getting the wife to remove it.When I get home I will send you a pic.

george

Beverly
10-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Bev I noticed on your lost marbles website.You say you never had corals iin there....is there a reason?I put in a few pieces of zoo's and a small candy cane frag for some color.Should I be removing these items?

George,

Some folks on SH.org had corals in their tanks without any problems, as far as I know. I never thought it was a good idea because of the toxins most corals produce in their slime-cover (or whatever you call it). I didn't want the possibility of my SHs hitching onto a coral that could possibly sting or hurt them in any way. Plus, I had corals in other tanks, so I was satisfied with a no-coral SH tank.

Also, SHs don't need lots of light. I had PC lighting on my 28g, which was more than enough to keep the macroalgae growing well.

The best place for answers to your questions are SH.org or Syngnathid.org. There are folks there who know just about everything that you can ask about SHs :cool:

AndyL
04-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Alright,

Well I should probably update... Some seahorses have come, some have gone... Still have 2 of the originals, for some reason every time I get new companions for the original 2 males, they pass on.

Hopefully the 3 new kuda females will be a bit longer lasting.

Probably going to finish filling the back eggcrate wall with somewhat live rock this weekend (finally decided the well cooked LR from the 10g reef meltdown is ready for use again).

Never thought i'd say this - the old photopost system was more gooder!

saltwaterseahorses
05-16-2010, 12:08 AM
you could get some LR to make it a little bit more enviromently for the SH'S

marie
05-16-2010, 03:04 AM
:lol: saltwaterseahorses, you do know this thread was started nearly 5 yrs ago and the last post is 4 yrs old :lol:

saltwaterseahorses
05-16-2010, 03:10 AM
ya :lol: just putting it down incase he hasn't decorated it yet