PDA

View Full Version : Disaster falls upon my 180.

smokinreefer
07-30-2005, 08:32 PM
hey all,
it is at my displeasure to let you all know disaster has fallen upon my 180 sps dominated reef aquarium.

the tank is still at my parents house, though i do live nearby, i have found i rarely have time to look after it... as far as i can tell, the water parameters had gone terribly askew due to failure in my auto-topoff and kalk reactor. i believe the float valve had gotten stuck in the closed position, and that shortly after the kalk reactor had kicked in to mix... then i'm guessing the float valved opened soon after, dumping a saturated kalk solution into the tank... the tank was cloudy by the time i got to it.

long story short, lost just about all of my sps. a couple clams, a few others, maybe my leopard wrasse as well.

i was quite speechless, pulling out sps colonies that i had had for years and simply dropping them into empty salt buckets... several colonies had to be >10"... some favorites being a large bali slimer colony, a table i had grown from a dime sized frag into a colony that could span my 2 open hands... well, c'est la vie. and RIP.

while it seems like i never have time for anything anymore, though the tank was doing great with minimal effort at this point in its life... i don't think i have the time required to try restocking the tank to its previous glory.

i havent decided one way or the other 100% at this time, but it is likely i will take a hiatus from the hobby, considering the great losses i've just had.

perhaps a small tank [at my house] to house my remainig clams is in order (as i had originally planned, though i had just sold my little cube tank!)

anyhoo, i though i'd just let you all know whats been going on with me and my tank. i've met many canreef members through the hobby, and it has been great knowing you all, and having you over to see the tank, sharing ideas and experiences, both reef related and otherwise.

ciao, for now.

vanreefer
07-30-2005, 08:52 PM
sorry to hear of your losses Shao.... :cry: I hope you don't throw in the towel completely

martym
07-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Holly____! I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish there was something I could do. Hope you stick around though, your insight was always apprecitated. good luck

rickjames
07-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Crappy deal Shao!! That's really too bad! Keep your foot in the hobby though. All the frags I bought off you are doing well... if you are ever looking for some pieces back let me know. :sad:

props
07-30-2005, 11:15 PM
not really sure what to say dude but when your ready to restock drop by with a couple of buckets at my place we'll try to fill them up.......

StirCrazy
07-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Shao, I know how you feel, when I lost all my corals, I got around at looking at it as a way to start over in the direction I wanted to go, in other words I had put some stuff in there that I didn't like in hindsight so this was my opertunity to fix it. hopefully you will come to the same opinion but I do agree it would suck to have a tank you can keep where you are most of the time. maybe this is the opertunity to go to a slightly smaller tank you can have at your place say maybe a 90 gal?

Steve

dirtyreefer
07-31-2005, 12:06 AM
That sucks Shao, sorry to hear what happened. Your tank was so awesome, and I'm sure you could take what Steve said and perhaps turn it into something positive.

Anyways, I hope you don't leave the hobby for good, you definitely know how to build and maintain a beautiful reef and it would be a shame if you gave that all up.

christyf5
07-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hear Shao. :frown: Don't quit!! Listen to Steve, a 90 gallon tank hardly takes up any room! :wink:

trilinearmipmap
07-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Well that is very sad to hear, I guess it is a risk we all take.

Funky_Fish14
07-31-2005, 12:24 AM
So sorry to hear about this Shao! I do hope you stay in the hobby!

Chris

Skimmerking
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your great losses, Well just remember not all is lost you still have you wealth of knowledge. Not atleast your tank didnt let go.

COme on and start up a nice little clam tank. you can do it.

there is lots of frags out there still to get from the Reefers in BC.

mike

Aquattro
07-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Shao, sorry to hear that. As others have said, anything you need to get going again, just ask.

Tom R
07-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Shao

I am very sorry to read your story. Your tank was certainly in the top 5 I have visited. As always there are lessons in everything we do. Living very close is not the same as being there every day for that quick look overview that tells you everything is alright. A tank like yours relies on that daily tweeking to ensure everthing is running well.

Hope you stay involved as you knowledge is essential to the growth of other hobbiest.

Tom R :cry: :cry: :cry:

Majestic_Aquariums
07-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Oh, that just sucks! try to no quit though! Seems like the natural state of mind at the time I am sure. Maybe a smaller set-up for now? I bet you would regreat it in a few months if you have nothing.

Hang in there!
Rob

LostMind
07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
bah, man, that sux.

I feel sorry for you Shao.

Shane

smokinreefer
07-31-2005, 05:24 PM
thanks for all your support everyone...
i think i may just set up a small tank here at my house...
it is quite tough to just up and leave the hobby, after remembering how much i've enjoyed it [and the board] up until now.

we'll see what happens in the following months.

ref leppard
07-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Sorry about your tank.I agree with Tom.Your tank being one of the top 5.Is the powder blue tang going to stay in the same tank or smaller and how old is the tang. Bless you !

Chad
08-01-2005, 04:46 AM
gah, horrible news!!

A amazing tank... I'm depressed to hear this has happened.. I hope you can start up a smaller tank. I am sure it will be just as spectacular.

Hope you stay!

ltay
08-01-2005, 04:52 AM
Sorry to hear that Shao, we too lost our entire 175 g and seahorse tank and refugium inhabitants when the bow front sprung a hairline leak at 9:30pm a month ago. We feel your pain.

We are getting the tank replaced by the manufacturer and getting a complete new setup with 210g square tank.

Dave and Larry.

sumpfinfishe
08-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Shao,

Sorry to hear of your great loss, I was stunned when I recieved your email!

I hope you stick around, you are a great reef pal and have helped so many people out along the way on this board.

Remember, beautiful doesn't have to be big :mrgreen:

Delphinus
08-02-2005, 05:42 AM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Shao.

Had a bit of a bad weekend myself with my tanks. :cry: Can't seem to get ahead some days.

Dunno what to say, step back, take a look at things, see if there's a way for the ol' phoenix to ressurrect out of the ashes stronger and better than before. Chin up...

ron101
08-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Man... Just saw your tank last month too. Well don't hesitate to ask if you need a hand.

hockey nut
08-05-2005, 08:01 AM
I have heard from many different canreefers that your tank was a sight to see.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I hope you get that reef bug back soon.

Best Regards