PDA

View Full Version : VANCOUVER ISLAND GET TOGETHER

Scavenger
05-07-2005, 03:29 PM
It's official, we're going for it. After recruiting some help for a reefkeeper gathering, we're definatley a go to set a date. I'm thinking late July but I guess we have to see who wants to come and what days are best for everybody. So out of July 23, 24, 30 or 31 which is best for you? Being located mid island it's not such a long drive for those located far north or south on the island.

Here's what I had in mind.

What I had in mind was to use my large yard and get a few bbq's running and I have the room to make it a families welcome affair.
Since this is a marine themed group, my plan was to do a ton of fishing before hand and stock up on salmon, halibut, cod, prawns, shrimp, crab, clams and oysters and have a seafood smorgasborg. (with a bit of non seafood for those who don't care for it) and BYOB for those who wish.

For out of towners, you can bring your truck/camper or tents to stay if you don't want to do too much driving in one day. I have the room to accomidate you.

In addition to this we could hold a frag swap. We could set up a large tank for people to float their bags. This would hold temp stable and people wouldn't have to acclimate to this water and then new owners acclimate again. Any comments on this idea???

Please post any of the above dates that are definatley out of the question for you and we'll try to work around it. After we set a date, I'll throw up an invitation for any mainland reefers to join us if they wish.

Any questions, comments ect. please PM myself, Wolfen or Christy

Jaws
05-07-2005, 04:00 PM
The end of July (30th and 31st) are definitely out of the question for me. I'm using the long weekend to hook me a couple tyees.

Scavenger
05-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Good point Jaws. I forgot about the long weekend. Just looked at July on the calander and didn't turn the page. Whoops!!

OK let's look at the second or third weekend in July to eliminate the long weekends.

reeferaddict
05-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Any weekend will be good for me... I'll make the time for such an event... I have a sign shop, so I'd be happy to do up some directional signs to help people find it.

Jim.

Scavenger
05-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Any weekend will be good for me... I'll make the time for such an event... I have a sign shop, so I'd be happy to do up some directional signs to help people find it.

Jim.

Beautiful Jim!! You've just been drafted into a small army of organizers. :lol:

Also anyone who can contribute a BBQ, tables or have equiptment for a holding tank let us know.

Forgot to mention that if you have reef related stuff you want to sell, bring it along. I have the lawn space where people can display their goods.

christyf5
05-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Ken, I've got 3-4 spare heaters, a spare 33gal tank, spare 20 gal tank and a host of rubbermaid tubs and powerheads to use. I don't think we'll have any problems there :wink:

Christy :)

Scavenger
05-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Ken, I've got 3-4 spare heaters, a spare 33gal tank, spare 20 gal tank and a host of rubbermaid tubs and powerheads to use. I don't think we'll have any problems there :wink:

Ya I know but that's gonna kill the offer I was going to make to you to buy all your powerheads. Honest I was going to offer a fair price! <MMMMuuuh ha ha>

OK There's that taken care of.

(but seriously want to sell some PH's???)

marie
05-08-2005, 01:27 AM
I might even be able to make this, how exciting is that :mrgreen:. Sundays are the best for me

BCWolfen
05-08-2005, 03:30 AM
Ken,

I have my big BBQ that I can bring over. Also I have that 75 Gal with the leak. If you want to grab it and try to reseal it, it could be used as a holding tank.

EmilyB
05-08-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm looking at my airmiles and waiting for a date.... :mrgreen:

Scavenger
05-08-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm looking at my airmiles and waiting for a date.... :mrgreen:

Somehow I think you'd definately win the "most miles traveled to attend award frag" !! :razz:

BCWolfen
05-09-2005, 12:37 AM
I talked to the wife and we'd be happy to put 1 or 2 people up in the spare room if anyone wants a place to stay overnight. Could also fit 2 other on the hide-a-bed in the living room, as long as you like cats and the noise of pumps :wink:

Also willing to drive people to and from bus depot, ferries or airport if needed.

Ken - We should defiantely look at a Saturday afternoon event. People could make it the night before or on Saturday and it would give them Sunday to get back home if needed. Having A BBQ Sunday eve and then trying to get people home on time for work the next would be pretty difficult.

Scavenger
05-17-2005, 06:52 PM
OK since the long weekends seem to be the only bad date for people lets set the date for Saturday July 23rd. It can start as early as the earliest arrival and end when the last car pulls out. :smile: How's that for flexible times. :razz: We'll keep July 16th as a backup date for now incase of mass 23rd can't make its. I've aso put a bit of seafood into the freezer already but since the commercial prawn season started, am lacking there, but will keep trying. With 4 valid fishing licences in the house, we are allowed to stock up quite a bit of food.

TNTCanada
05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
It's in my day planner. Sounds good

Cheers
Tyler

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-17-2005, 08:29 PM
I'll see what the wifey thinks of another reefer-based vacation :rolleyes: :redface:

If she's okay with it & the date works, see you all there.

Anthony

danny zubot
05-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Wow, you've got a lot of planning into this already! If my baby wasn't on the way I'd be making plans to go out there for sure, its been too long since I've been to the island. Make sure and take lots of pics for the board!

sumpfinfishe
05-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Im in for sure, that is if mainlanders are invited :mrgreen:

I could also do a run to LFS for dry goods and such if anyone needs anything-except salt that is :biggrin:

Jaws
05-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Im in for sure, that is if mainlanders are invited :mrgreen:

I could also do a run to LFS for dry goods and such if anyone needs anything-except salt that is :biggrin:

That surely deserves an invite. The more the merrier.

Scavenger
05-25-2005, 10:19 PM
The more the merrier!

BCWolfen
05-26-2005, 05:26 AM
Arrrhhh I don't know aboot them thar landlubbers coming to our wee Island. aaarrrr. Only if theys are bringing offerings from thar Land o Plenty.

j/k

Be great to have some Vancouver folks over as well. As I stated previously I have 2 bedrooms available if someone wishes to spend the night before catching a ferry back the next day.

Jack
05-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Should I lurk or should I post... hrm.

:mrgreen:

sea gnome
06-06-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm in unless something changes with my work schedule, I may even even have my tank ready for some stuff after my move from hell. Rachel

StirCrazy
06-06-2005, 03:28 AM
I'm in unless something changes with my work schedule, I may even even have my tank ready for some stuff after my move from hell. Rachel

where did you move to?

Steve

StirCrazy
06-06-2005, 03:31 AM
I am going to play it by ear, saturdays are usaly a bad day for me but if I can I will be there.

Steve

sea gnome
06-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Hi Steve, I moved to Gorge Rd in Victoria, not the best thing to do when you go to school f/t and work f/t. The tank slowly crashed last spring and all I have done is kept the sand alive but the rock is in buckets and is pretty much dead. I am actually hoping I can get it alive again with some sand critter donations from the victoria crowd. Any thought s on whether it will work?..Rachel

Manny
06-09-2005, 05:26 AM
i'm in if i get the day off work. i can bring some tanks if you need them. i have a 33gal and a 10gal.

Zerandise
06-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Well as a born again islander im in! :)

Jaws
06-09-2005, 06:05 PM
So we're set on the 23rd then right?

Scavenger
06-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Yup we're still set for the 23,rd.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Major boat repair coupled with extra work have really kept me hopping. (The major cyno outbreak my tank didn't help either.)

StirCrazy
06-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi Steve, I moved to Gorge Rd in Victoria, not the best thing to do when you go to school f/t and work f/t. The tank slowly crashed last spring and all I have done is kept the sand alive but the rock is in buckets and is pretty much dead. I am actually hoping I can get it alive again with some sand critter donations from the victoria crowd. Any thought s on whether it will work?..Rachel

dead rock is a good thing now.. if I were to do my tank all over when I got that rock initialy I would have left it on the drive way to dry out and kill everything off. that way you know what your getting :mrgreen: then you can cure it for a few months to get your cycle started and add 1 chunk of rock from an extablished tank with no nasties on it. as for sand, Just say no to sand :mrgreen:

Steve

air*force*one
06-10-2005, 03:21 AM
a shindigg lol

HimSelf
07-06-2005, 06:31 AM
Hi I would love to come over to your party! Where do you live in Nanaimo?

Scavenger
07-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Just checking in to see how many people are coming in a couple of weeks. I've started to "gather" supplies and food and need to get a rough head count. I've gotten a map together that can be emailed to those who are coming, so pm me your email address please.

Xtasia
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Anyone from vancouver want to crash this party? :D

Xtasia
07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Is there any possibility of getting picked up at the ferry terminal in Naniamo? i want to avoid bringing my car over if possible.. :D

Sump.. do you want to go together...? I can bring a suitcase of dry goods too if anyone needs more stuff.. I draw the lines at lugging buckets of salt over ... :P

BCWolfen
07-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Is there any possibility of getting picked up at the ferry terminal in Naniamo? i want to avoid bringing my car over if possible.. :D

Sump.. do you want to go together...? I can bring a suitcase of dry goods too if anyone needs more stuff.. I draw the lines at lugging buckets of salt over ... :P

I've already offered to pick anyone up at the ferries. (see post on page 2 :biggrin: ) We also have a spare room if anyone needs to spend the night. PM me if you need either or and I will get you my phone numbers.
Persons spending night must love cats and puppies as you will be attacked by both. :lol:

Ken: We're still in. Let me know if you need anything.

Scavenger
07-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Gerald, I'll probably be giving you and Christy a call this weekend if that works for you both. We can hammer out the final details then. Things have finally slowed down a bit for me and exept for work and fixing the *&^% boat, I'm free to prepair for the 23rd.

sumpfinfishe
07-08-2005, 03:45 AM
Xtasia,
I'm gonna be heading over Friday to hang with a friend otherwise we could have tagged on the same boat, see ya at the meet!

sea gnome
07-10-2005, 04:28 AM
Hi guys, i can't come anymore as I have an 8 hr exam that day. :sad: I wish I could be there to see everyone and meet new people. Have fun. Christy, I'll make it up there yet to get the rock! rachel

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-10-2005, 04:33 AM
I'll be coming over (at least that's the plan) with Ivy & maybe Callum (HockeyNut). :biggrin:

Hope to see everybody there.

Anthony

christyf5
07-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi guys, i can't come anymore as I have an 8 hr exam that day. :sad: I wish I could be there to see everyone and meet new people. Have fun. Christy, I'll make it up there yet to get the rock! rachel

8 hour exam :eek: Now that ain't right :confused: Good luck and no worries about the rock. We'll meet up eventually :wink:

Xtasia
07-13-2005, 12:23 AM
So i was wondering.. do you need Anthony and me to bring anything from Vancouver? Annnnddd.. Will we want to trade frags? if so I need to get some prepared.. and I would like to know what to expect :D

- Cheers, X

Scavenger
07-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey X,

Well I don't know who is bringing what for frags, but we will have at least a float tank (float your frag bag) for temp ect. and perhaps a SW tank for those who need a top up or even if they want to acclimate and put in. (Not sure if I'd choose this option or not). I've got a fair amount of seafood to toss on the BBQ but if your not a seafood lover, you might want to bring some landlubber food. :smile:

BCWolfen
07-14-2005, 05:46 AM
I would buy some frags if peeps are bringing stuff over. I myself don't have much thats fraggable at the mo other than some softies. *yawn*

But I'd be willing to pay for some frags. So let me know what ya got :)

Would also be willing to people on a couple of tank tours if Christy wants to show hers. My home is open to anyone wanting a peek. About 15 minutes total drive time....plus tank oogling time of course. lol

TNTCanada
07-15-2005, 01:49 AM
I would love to get some frags I only have Kennya Trees and pumping Xenia that I can fraged. I would like to buy some though.

Cheers
Tyler

Scavenger
07-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Sounds like anyone bringin sps frags will have to beat off buyers with a stick!! :smile: Anyway. I will have some zoo's(3 types) a green torch head and various shrooms. I still haven't decided if I want to frag my pipeorgan, but if I do, Christy already has first dibs. Also there is a long shot, I might have a couple of acro frags.

Edit: ps anyone needing a map or directions, just pm me your email addy. If I like you, I won't send you directions to a 7 11 but my real address. :lol: :lol: :lol:

marie
07-15-2005, 02:40 AM
I have some montipora's, zoo's and things but I don't want to bring them if no one wants them (hate to have to bring them home again)

Scavenger
07-15-2005, 02:43 AM
I have some montipora's, zoo's and things but I don't want to bring them if no one wants them (hate to have to bring them home again)

Bring them!!!! I'm interested in monti's and zoo's I don't have. Got any Pic's??

marie
07-15-2005, 02:55 AM
I have a few pieces of green digi left over from my logging spree :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/2006_0320monti0057.jpg

some of these zoo's that are still attached to the glass and need to go
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/2006_0103Image0012.jpg

I have lots of these, they are trying to take over the world :eek:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/2005_0202zoos0003.jpg

and I also have unmounted yellow monti caps and some very small purple caps

Scavenger
07-15-2005, 03:00 AM
Hey Marie, I'm interested in the logging program and the caps. I'd probably have to buy from you unless you see something of mine you really like. I'll try and get some zoo pic's to see if a trade could be made. You know, from one zoo to another. :rolleyes:

marie
07-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Hey Marie, I'm interested in the logging program and the caps. I'd probably have to buy from you unless you see something of mine you really like. I'll try and get some zoo pic's to see if a trade could be made. You know, from one zoo to another. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about buying, consider them payment for hosting the bbq :biggrin:

Scavenger
07-15-2005, 03:22 AM
OK here's what I got up.

My torch, I'm going to take 1 head off it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/NickNameless13/torch.jpg

Some zoo's, these are the polys you will get, not the whole colony.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/NickNameless13/rosezoos.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/NickNameless13/orangeolivezoos.jpg

This zoo I have 2 very similar sized "growths"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/NickNameless13/orangegreenzoos.jpg

BCWolfen
07-15-2005, 03:57 AM
Marie,

I'd like to buy some of your 'logs' :wink: and zoos. So bring em along :biggrin:

Manny
07-18-2005, 04:11 AM
i would like any sps and any zoos. i don't have a whole lot right now that is fraggable but i am going to bring some $$$ just in case. :mrgreen:

Scavenger
07-20-2005, 08:34 PM
So!!!! Who's all coming??? I know quite a few of the interested people haven't sent me an email addy so I can send out maps. It should be fun even though I have but a small humble reef.

Oh ya, anyone caught laughing at my lighting support system is subject to a small fine. :lol:

Scavenger
07-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Hi all,

Well it seem a few attending won't have too much time to stay so I think it would be best for all to start around 11 am, have a lunch bbq and frag swap. Then those folks in a rush can depart and everyone is welcome to stay for the day. This timing might be easier for those who are traveling long distances too. (I hope)

Cheers!

Jaws
07-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Anyone from Victoria going that has an extra seat in the car by any chance?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Ivy & I will probably be catching the 8:30am ferry on Saturday, so we'll be meeting BC Wolfen at Departure Bay just after 10am I guess.

Anthony

StirCrazy
07-21-2005, 11:45 PM
well I guess I won't be able to make it after all, if it was sunday that would be fine but saturday we have an interior designer comming over :rolleyes:

Steve

Jaws
07-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Anyone from Victoria going that has an extra seat in the car by any chance?

Anyone?

TNTCanada
07-22-2005, 12:15 AM
I might have a spot give me a call
Sent PM

Scavenger
07-22-2005, 12:25 AM
well I guess I won't be able to make it after all, if it was sunday that would be fine but saturday we have an interior designer comming over :rolleyes:

Steve

Interior designer?? By God Man!! Get your priorities straight!!!

OK sorry just yanking your chain. Sorry your going to miss it, but we'll get some pix for ya.

Yank... Yank Yank....Yank..... FISH ON!!!!!! whoops sorry wrong message board. :lol:

Xtasia
07-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Hey..

So SHF and I are going to be coming over this Sat for your little shin dig..

I msged BCwolfen, but in case he is unable to pick us up.. is there anyone else that would be willing to help us out?

- Ivy

christyf5
07-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I can pick you guys up no prob. Which ferry are you catching again??

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-22-2005, 06:08 PM
It would be the 8:30am ferry to Departure Bay which should arrive shortly after 10:05am. Thanks.

Anthony

christyf5
07-22-2005, 06:17 PM
You don't take the ferries very often do you? They never run on time :razz:

I"ll be there to pick you guys up at 10ish :wink:

Don't forget to have the Sunshine Breakfast!!! :razz:

Xtasia
07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Does anyone want some of this..

need to know if I should bring it over or not.. of course, I have limited quantities...

http://zubi.merseine.nu/student/broschi/Pictures/Zubi/Pflanzen/Caulerpa-racemosa.jpg

http://www.wildreef.com/images/products/razorcaulerpaalgae.gif

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1162Blueberry_LR.JPG

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1162Pink_Zoo_LR.JPG

christyf5
07-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I would like some of these:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1162Blueberry_LR.JPG

:biggrin:

IslandReefer
07-22-2005, 09:27 PM
I will be taking our station wagon to Naniamo on Sat. , leaving about 10AM
I can take up to 4 passangers (and stuff), from anywhere on route....If you want to go and don't have a ride PM me.

Scavenger
07-22-2005, 10:12 PM
I can take up to 4 passangers (and stuff), from anywhere on route....If you want to go and don't have a ride PM me.

Great offer!! I'd take you up on it, but I'm already here. :confused:

marie
07-22-2005, 11:11 PM

Could you stop by comox on the way :razz:

J/K, I've got my own vehicle :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-22-2005, 11:22 PM
That sounds like a small detour my bro-in-law made last year. Heading to Port Alberni from Nanaimo by way of Campbell River :eek: Slight detour, but at least gas prices weren't as insane as this summer.

See you there Marie (& everyone else of course),

Anthony

TNTCanada
07-23-2005, 04:05 PM
See everyone there, John, Manual, Melea and myself should be there around 11:30-12:00ish

Cheers
Tyler

Scavenger
07-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Well all is said and done. I hope everyone had fun. I enjoyed meeting some of the local reef heads and those who traveled some distance to get here. I look forward to the next time. Thanx for coming. I'll get some pix out soon. :smile: Just to tired to type much or post pix at this point. Got to get up in 8 hours to head out fishin!

christyf5
07-24-2005, 01:49 AM
Thanks again Ken! I had a great time. You and your wife put on an awesome spread of food and your tank looks terrific. I'll be over soon to add some more stuff to it. :biggrin:

Xtasia
07-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Thanks, it was fun.