PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of the hobby forever

trilinearmipmap
03-10-2005, 04:23 PM
No I'm not but I just noticed a lot of threads like this over the past year. People who have put serious time and money into their reef tanks are just up and quitting.

Jut wanted people's thoughts on why this is happening and what steps can be taken to prevent serious aquarists from quitting this amazing hobby.

Aquattro
03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
... I just noticed a lot of threads like this over the past year.

Actually, I've been going about 4 or 5 years now, and this is not a recent trend. When I was in to SW aquaria 12 or so years ago, it was the same. Just check the buy and sell for used equipment. There are usually 100 ads in the paper each week.
The reasons are likely as many, with some people being frustrated, others bored, newer exciting hobbies, expanding families, etc.

I know I've recently been spending more time out on my bike, so a downgrade in tanks is my route. I guess things just "come up". Always have, always will.
Realistically we don't want it to end. That's where we get all the good deals on used stuff!!

OCDP
03-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Patience.

This seems to be one of the biggest issues. I think people up and quit because things don't go the way they want them to. They don't take into consideration that a little more effort and patience is all you need. From day 1 , every SW hobbyist should know patience is the key to success in this hobby anyways.

And I must agree with the above post. Things always come up, and it's not as if they are intended to happen this way, it just happens. There really is a lot of different reasons why people quit. But mostly, I just see people get too frustrated, and feel as if they are not recieving the rewards from the hobby as others are.

I wont lie, it's crossed my mind, more than once or twice. And I wanted to quit because of nuisance algaes.. they got the best of me! lol... but now I know better. A little more effort and patience, and I will see the reef I want to see.

danny zubot
03-10-2005, 06:10 PM
I think the people who just up and quit are those who get into the hobby for the wrong reasons in the first place. Those are the people who like the "look" of a marine tank and want one without respecting the knowlege and time required to maintain a marine ecosystem. In other words they just didn't have the passion from the start. Thats not to say this is true for everyone because things do come up regretfully, where people don't have a choice but to get out, but I'm sure this is the case for many people who try and give up.

Just my 2 cents.

BCOrchidGuy
03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Forever isn't always forever. When going through a major change in your life the level of stress and anxiety can make decision making difficult. When your world falls apart everything seems forever, the things you love seem to be taken away from you. The idea of trying to deal with everything on top of the origional crisis can make hobbies etc seem pointless. As things start to settle down and life begins to look sunny rather than dreary then the old love of keeping a reef can be seen for what it is again.
Don't discount or dismiss an emotional trauma, don't assume they must not have had the passion. Feeding my son comes first, a marine tank comes further on down the line.

Doug

wayner
03-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Good Points Danny/Brad. :smile:

Aquattro
03-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Feeding my son comes first, a marine tank comes further on down the line.
Doug

Hilarious!! I can't think of how many times the kids are whining at me..
"Dad, when's dinner? In a minute kids, I just gotta finish this tank stuff first!!" :biggrin:

hockey nut
03-10-2005, 07:53 PM
LOL.

I can see it now..........do you want blood worms or mysis now, or wait five minutes for your dinner. :smile:

ok dad we'll wait.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Many of us in this hobby treat this as the most or one of the most important parts of our lives. That's why its called an addiction. However, hobbies, by definition, are things we do for fun & relaxation. Funding our addictions is a luxury & if priorities/work/family circumstances change, luxury items should be the first expenses (in terms of time & $$) to go. Like others above have already written, if it comes to family vs hobby, taking care of the family must take precedent.

In the past, and even today, I've always held to the position that if I'm unable or unwilling to give my pets the care/$$/attention they require, then I should sell/trade/give them to a good home. Just last month, when it got too busy with work (1 day off in 7 wks & counting), I sold my citron crested cockatoo Rupert to the local bird lady where I know he'll have a great time & get the attention he so desperately needs. I decided that I had time for my tanks, but not enough to spare taking care of him.

I sympathize with those who are trying to juggle even more by doing everything & having kids added to the mix. Hats off to those who persevere. At the same time, I will not condemn those who decide to quit this hobby for a time because they are usually making the right decision. Whether they are in over their heads or just have changed priorities, if your heart & mind is not into this addiction, let your creatures go to more suitable homes.

All that being said, it is sad when I hear or read of a dedicated hobbyist calling it quits. This sadness though is tempered by the gleam in my eye if there are great deals to be had.

Sorry for the long essay....

Anthony

trilinearmipmap
03-11-2005, 12:37 AM
I used to enjoy 3 FW plant tanks, one reef, plus a goldfish tank and a FW breeding/fry raising tank.

Now I am down to 1 reef and 2 plant tanks.

It is frustrating not having enough time to put into this hobby.

AJ_77
03-11-2005, 01:04 AM
I think the people who just up and quit are those who get into the hobby for the wrong reasons in the first place. Those are the people who like the "look" of a marine tank and want one without respecting the knowlege and time required to maintain a marine ecosystem.
I've read this 5 times Danny, and still don't get it - where are you getting this from? I don't know of anybody (personally) that has quit because of the reasons you mention.

Not to be argumentative, but do you have someone in mind when you say this? Because most people I've come to know through this board are more like Anthony's description.

Just wondering. :biggrin:

Bob I
03-11-2005, 03:47 AM
taking care of the family must take precedent.
Anthony

:question:

Bob I
03-11-2005, 03:57 AM
Is it a hobby, or an obsession :question: , and does it really matter :question:

The point is that for me it is almost my life. Yes it can be frustrating at times, but one almost lives for the small victories that sometimes happen.

What started with one small fish only tank has grown to two reefs, and a FOWLR tank. Yes it has cost a lot of money, but I can't really picture not having my reefs.

For me the most important thing is all the great people I have met because of this hobby/obsession. Some of these people have become friends.

No, I am definitely not quitting. :eek:

G1GY
03-11-2005, 04:02 AM
I think most people that leave this hobby are just taking a break.

Even if they say it's forever, once you've got it in your system it never leaves you. :smile:

trilinearmipmap
03-11-2005, 04:31 AM
I sometimes wonder whether the degree of obsession people have about this hobby is a form of mental illness.

marie
03-11-2005, 04:37 AM
I sometimes wonder whether the degree of obsession people have about this hobby is a form of mental illness.
my family thinks so :lol:

Canadian Man
03-11-2005, 05:26 AM
I called it quits because I don't want to miss out on the important times in my life that are made up of time spent with my wife and watching my daughter grow up.

It was not a drastic time issue nor was it getting into the hobby for the wrong reasons from day one. I gained alot of knowledge from this hobby and my tank required very little interaction.
I'm wanting to take that few hours a week and put it towards more important things.

GREAT TOPIC! :biggrin:

Invigor
03-11-2005, 05:29 AM
I wanting to take that few hours a week and put it towards more important things.

You're a good man.

EmilyB
03-11-2005, 05:45 AM
It doesn't surprise me that some have to give it up because of family pressures.....I'm just so freakin' glad I'm past all that........my kids can buy there own food now :lol: :mrgreen: :razz:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Heck, pretty much everywhere I'll be visiting this year will involve my addiction. Fraser Valley, Powell River, Port Alberni (maybe), Keremios, Calgary, Edmonton.... Gee if I can find enough tanks to visit, I'll see the whole country :biggrin:

I love this hobby & my wife already thinks I spend way too much time, $$$ & effort on it & not enough on her :cry: At the same time, I am blessed with being married to someone who allows me my addictions & enjoys them (up to a point) with me. Also, we have not kids (yet) to demand our time & $$ so for now that's where all (yes all) my $$ goes that's not used for rent & food. Haven't bought new clothes in months, but get new fish & corals all the time :biggrin: :biggrin: Yup, I have my priorities straight.

I can't imagine my life without this addiction because I have met so many great friends & acquaintances through it, especially through Canreef (thanks Titus & the gang for setting up this forum). However, I would hope that if my family required me to or if my marriage was at stake, I'd be willing to put my addiction on hold until the time is right to start up again. Like I said before, family must come first, so good for you Canadian Man. Hats off to you for doing what you must & not what would be the easy way out (allowing your addiction to keep you from missing out on your kids' lives). Just wished I was in Calgary so I could have snagged some of those sweet deals :cry:

Wow, I have to stop writing these essays :eek:

Anthony

EmilyB
03-11-2005, 08:09 AM
In retrospect, I babysat in my pre-teen and early teen years to buy a horse. I accomplished that. :biggrin:

I went on to raise and train some decent quarter horses. I thought it was the ultimate hobby. The only thing that tore me away from that was a marital breakup. Well, that and my body was broke in a million places....
:razz:

Things change rapidyly sometimes, for whatever reason. I still miss the horses.

Doug
03-11-2005, 02:21 PM
I have to agree with Gary, that most come back. At least I have, many times over the last 30 yrs. :lol:

There are times when other priorities are just more important, as mentioned a few times in this thread. I have also found that many aquarists, {including myself}, find out that larger is not always better and downsize. Going large also frustrates some to the point of leaving the hobby.

danny zubot
03-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Alan,
I had in mind myself and a couple of people I know but not from Canreef. Also, I shouldn't have restricted my comments to just salt water. In the past, before I really got the bug for salt water I was in and out of fresh water for many years, and for many reasons. I never had the passion for fish keeping until I went salt. I don't have to tell some of you how scarey it can be when you first take the plunge, and I'm not knocking anyone's reason for leaving except this one. Does that make sense?
Anyway, its this respect that makes the hobby rewarding and keeps us in it long term. This seems to be lost on those who just want a pretty glass box in the living room. For those people this is just a fad. I compare it to a common New Years resolution to go to the gym, where half the people aren't there after March.

I hope this makes more sense and sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intent. :neutral:

PS. For the record, I'm going to have a son by summer. I hope I can use my tank as a learning tool and an activity that we can share. I think its more productive than watching T.V.

Zerandise
03-11-2005, 03:00 PM
I got out of the SW hobby some 15 years ago as my life had made some large change. now that my kids are grown I am back into it. my kids are 12 and 15 and are now able to help with my addiction. Sometimes you just have to put things on pause for a minutes or 15 years :)

Willito
03-11-2005, 03:20 PM
I have also found that many aquarists, {including myself}, find out that larger is not always better and downsize. Going large also frustrates some to the point of leaving the hobby.

Very true, and I am glad you stated it. I've been pondering forever about upgrading to 240g or so, but when I think about future family and career, it's probably wise to just maintain what I have for now...atleast until I make my first million. :mrgreen:

danny zubot
03-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I totally agree, my upgrades have been from a 28 gallon to a 54 gallon and now to a 65 gallon. I'm in the big time now baby! :mrgreen:

Aquattro
03-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Yup, I'm in the bigger is not better gang. I've changed my lifestyle considerably over the last year or so and don't have as much time to dedicate to a large tank. I spent a year pondering he reefing future and rather than get out of something I do really enjoy, I'm just downgrading tanks size. This lets me get out more and attend to my other interests, especially with summer just around the corner.!!

Willow
03-11-2005, 04:19 PM
how does have a smaller tank lead to less work? i can see going from a 600 gallon to a 50 saving time but wouldn’t you basically spend the same amount of time if you had a 180 or a 70? you still have all the water changes, cleanings, checks, feedings, top offs and everything else you have to do right? the only thing i can see you saving is some money, less bulbs, less power, less equipment expense...

danny zubot
03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Time is money, just as money is time.

Doug
03-11-2005, 05:01 PM
the only thing i can see you saving is some money, less bulbs, less power, less equipment expense...

Thats it in a nutshell. :biggrin:

Plus things like less fish, so less feeding, water changes are smaller thus less RO water is needed.

You are correct on the most of the same things that need doing and its also likely that large tanks are more stable........as long as enough of the proper equipment is purchased, used and maintained.

Aquattro
03-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Smaller water changes, less top off, less glass to scrap, easier to access the entire tank, dusting the cabinet, windexing the outside, making less RO topoff water, less trips to the salt store, less trips to LFS for supplies, it goes on and on.

Skimmerking
03-11-2005, 05:40 PM
When you get into the hobby you are new trying everything and wasting alot of time watching the tank so you dont miss anything. Then you take the plunge and get a bigger tank. Then you are stuck with more lights and more water changes that have been stated by Doug and som one else.

Your experience is growing over time and you gain ways to make short cuts. and make DIY projects and then for some reason you down grade and thne you find that a smaller tank is easier to maintain. Due from having all this expereince and short cuts that you taught yourself or that you have read about.

having a larger tank is easier to a point of, if you get a problem in the tank it doesnt wipe it out in a day you pretty much have a few more grace days to sort it out.

With a smaller tank you have ways of tweaking the tank to run better and easier. So you are not there 24/7

That is what they are talkign about inreference to the smaller tanks are easier to take care of.

mike

danny zubot
03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
In that regard I agree. Lately the only work I do to my tank is feed the fish and top up the sump. Maybe 4 times in the past 3 months I have done tests, and I've only done two water changes. I don't expect that will change much with my next tank. I've never owned a supertank so I can't really compare the work load.

Skimmerking
03-11-2005, 08:51 PM
bigger is not always better i have had the pleasure of s 280 gal tank and man its a lots of money and work. :mrgreen:

mike

bulletsworld
03-11-2005, 10:10 PM
my family thinks so :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: SO DOES MY FAMILY! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know my BF just hopes I will get over it soon (hobby/addiction). :lol: He sat me down the other day and said PLEASE no more tanks..PLEASE! :lol: He says its also hard to kick for me since he's convinced it feeds my what he calls my shopping addiction . :lol:

As I always ponder getting a bigger tank, for some reason even my BF thinks it would be WAY more work and WAY more money. But then again I'm already running a 10gal, a 29gal, a 46gal & a 77gal, so how much more work did I really create for myself and are the costs really that different from say getting just one BIG tank 180gal+, appose to all my other little tanks?

Doug
03-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Dont get me wrong, I do love large reef aquariums. I did leave a few times for similar reasons as Brad & Jon.

My current downsizing issues are more to do with the previously mentioned cost reasons and also the fact that I live in the country. My large tanks, with all its plumbing and devices and a jammillion plugs ins, scares of any chance of one of the locals looking after it while I,m away. :lol:

Most of the ones I read about on other boards are usually younger and have major changes going on in their lives.

Buccaneer
03-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Smaller water changes, less top off, less glass to scrap, easier to access the entire tank, dusting the cabinet, windexing the outside, making less RO topoff water, less trips to the salt store, less trips to LFS for supplies, it goes on and on.

Less to look at :razz: :lol:

Aquattro
03-12-2005, 01:21 AM

Less to look at :razz: :lol:

Steve, I've decided to go for quality over quantity this time. :biggrin:

Skimmerking
03-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Bulletsworld , i think that if you go bigger that it wont be a problem. Lots of people go big and love it. you will spend some time getting it sorted out. good luck if ya do i'm behind ya 100%.

I know when me and Tammy build our new house in a few years i'm putting in a 10" x2x2 FOWLR with 2 tunze's with the contollers when i do it i will plan it out for the fish room but it will be a basic setup with a euro reef 12-2 or a 12-3 and straight vho lighting and topp off and that is it....... YA RIGHT :lol:

But a large tank is lots of fun i have learnt lots from mistakes and good times.

and thinner wallet..

muck
03-12-2005, 04:12 AM
I know when me and Tammy build our new house in a few years i'm putting in a 10" x2x2 FOWLR...
Isn't that smaller than what you have now..? :razz: :mrgreen:

Cap'n
03-12-2005, 06:14 AM
PS. For the record, I'm going to have a son by summer. I hope I can use my tank as a learning tool and an activity that we can share. I think its more productive than watching T.V.

That's what I do. It's a good way for me to enjoy my son and my tank at the same time.
And I definitely agree with the lack of television, especially at that young age.

I think there are probably as many reasons why people get out of the hobby as there are people involved in it. I'm sure everyone reading this can imagine at least one scenerio that would force you to abandon your tanks. Hope that doesn't happen to me, but one never knows.

Murminator
03-12-2005, 06:32 AM
I know when me and Tammy build our new house in a few years i'm putting in a 10" x2x2 FOWLR...
Isn't that smaller than what you have now..? :razz: :mrgreen:

Going all out on a 10 inch tank huh? :razz: :razz: :razz:

Doug
03-12-2005, 02:16 PM
[quote=danny zubot]
I think there are probably as many reasons why people get out of the hobby as there are people involved in it. I'm sure everyone reading this can imagine at least one scenerio that would force you to abandon your tanks.

Well said. I think that about sums it up.

Dez
03-12-2005, 05:23 PM
At one point I had a 150 gal with 75 gal sump, a 180 with a 50 gallon refugium, a 54 gallon and a 46 gallon, oh and a 7 gal nano. It was nice, but I think after all that I was happier with just one tank, my 46 gallon. Now I have taken down the 46 gallon tank because I'm moving at the end of the month, and in our new place, we're just going to have one display tank, probably around 140 gallons. It will be more money to stock, but after having several tanks, I think one "nice" tank is sufficient. Now that I have no display tanks, I have considered throwing in the towel many times. I have a baby coming in 11 weeks, and I know that's going to change life drastically. And I want to give my child the best, so that means less $ to the reef hobby. Who knows, I might throw the towel in after the baby is born...

I have enjoyed this thread. Thanks.

Desmond