PDA

View Full Version : new fish!!

jess128
02-21-2005, 04:06 PM
I got a Yellow Tang 2 days ago. I wanted a new fish but didn't know what kind to get. I was looking a the tangs but thought my tank was too small. One of the guys there told me it would be ok in my 67g. I got the smallest one there was and he said it will take a while for him to outgrow the tank. So I'm thinking it's a good excuse to get a bigger tank in about 2 years! :mrgreen: The tang's been hiding in a cave in the tank and won't come out. The lights have been off since I got him and I just put them on this morning. I'm assuming it's just taking him a while to adjust to the new environment. Hopefully he'll come out of hiding soon!

Tarolisol
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Just like you said it will take a while for him to get used to the new tank, but as for two years for the fish to grow, it wont take anywhere near that long. It drives me nuts with fish stores say they grow slowly. They Dont. It will grow fast like almost every other fish, if the conditions are good.

megatron_55
02-22-2005, 06:38 AM
I got proof!! I think fish "adjusts" to their environment . . .I have a 27gal tank and its been a running for about a year and 2mnths and I have . . . count it . . . 9 fish in it with about atleast 30 diff species of corals. Two are tangs . . . one hippo and one yellow. . . up to date my yellow tang is just a tad bit bigger than a toonie and my blue tang is about a toonie size ... at max I say they grew a quarter inch. . . they haven't grown much and I've been feeding them normaly (3 meals a day) with hikari blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp and nori dried seaweed. . . I have my additives such as live phytoplankton, calcium, iodine, reef trace supplements... I also have an aquac remora pro for skimmer and a 12 gallon refugium . . . but then again thats my own experience . . :mrgreen:

Doug
02-22-2005, 02:23 PM
I got proof!! I think fish "adjusts" to their environment . . .I have a 27gal tank and its been a running for about a year and 2mnths and I have . . . count it . . . 9 fish in it with about atleast 30 diff species of corals. Two are tangs . . . one hippo and one yellow. . . up to date my yellow tang is just a tad bit bigger than a toonie and my blue tang is about a toonie size ... at max I say they grew a quarter inch. . . they haven't grown much and I've been feeding them normaly (3 meals a day) with hikari blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp and nori dried seaweed. . . I have my additives such as live phytoplankton, calcium, iodine, reef trace supplements... I also have an aquac remora pro for skimmer and a 12 gallon refugium . . . but then again thats my own experience . . :mrgreen:

I dont believe large fish "adjust " to their enviroment. They live in their enviroment if thats an only alternative for them but thats about it. Why would we put fish that require much larger tanks, in small tanks, when their are so many beautiful fish of a smaller size and swimming range? Fish that much prefer hanging out in the rocks than swimming in the open?

Adult yellow tangs, in aquariums, can grow pretty large and for sure a hippo is much to large of a fish for smaller tanks. They require lots of swimming space and water high in oxygen. My friends huge yellow and his still young adult Regal, {hippo} are both huge, very thick bodied and growing still, even though the yellow is now 5yrs. old. They reside in his 180g.

One thing I never mentioned in the 15g and 33g yellow tang posts, but has been mentioned many times on the board by others, is how aggressive adult yellow tangs will become. This is certainly more pronounced in smaller tanks.

danny zubot
02-22-2005, 02:24 PM
You have two tangs in a 29 gallon! :eek: Eventualy they will outgrow that tank no matter how much their growth is stunted, or they will die. Where's Albert when you need to explain how this works. :confused:
Anyway, it makes me feel a little more secure with my decision to put one small tang in my tank.

Ryan
02-22-2005, 04:52 PM

Are you wanting to be flamed. I can hear the tang police coming already man are you in for it.

Fish dont grow to their enviroment. THe reson your fish are probaly so small is malnourishment. Lets say you have a fish that get 24 inches when adult if you put him in a 12 inch tank he is still going to out grow it. I would take those tangs out before the peole on this board start voicing their opinions and you stunt your tangs (they probaly already are)

Rikko
02-22-2005, 10:40 PM
1) German Shepherd in a cardboard box. Think about it.

2) If that's true then animals in general ought to be able to control their adult size based on surroundings rather than nutrition and sanitation. People in apartments should therefore be smaller than people who live in houses or farms.

kari
02-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Could be right. Our house has 9 ft ceilings and my next door neighbours has 8 ft. Both of them living in the other house are definately not as tall as me or my wife. I think my dog is taller then their dog. The bird is in the boat aswell.

clownchick22
02-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Could be right. Our house has 9 ft ceilings and my next door neighbours has 8 ft. Both of them living in the other house are definately not as tall as me or my wife. I think my dog is taller then their dog. The bird is in the boat aswell.

lol... this is getting to be a funny post.. except for the fact that those tangs are cramped :confused:

Well, I grew up in a large house, and I'm 5'2".. now my own place has 9ft ceilings, so does that mean I will grow taller :biggrin: lol hope so!, but then I would have to throw out all my 3" heels :lol:

megatron_55
02-23-2005, 03:20 AM
Bla Bla Bla . . . not to offend anyone but my post CLEARLY says "I THINK!" . . . :drinking: . . . thanks for coming out :evil:

Rikko
02-23-2005, 03:35 AM
No one's offended; just having a little fun..
Anyways, aquarists' observations over time about that sort of thing generally can't be reliable - there are simply too many variables in a home aquarium that aren't accounted for. I don't know of any lab experiments that have been conducted but I expect that the general laws of biology as I understand them should hold. In short: there is no mind over matter. The conscious mind cannot control biological growth just as it can't control, say, body temperature or blood pressure (directly - giving yourself a panic attack I'm not counting).
Quite often I got FW customers swearing up and down that their goldfish did great in a bowl and it only grew to 2" long (this is a comet that will reach at least 12" in proper conditions). They correlated the fish's size with the bowl - as though the fish determined that it was taking up x% of the environmental volume and thus was not permitted to grow anymore. They didn't consider that once the fish grew to 2" that their monthly regimen of doing a partial water change wasn't sufficient to purge wastes from the water - the fish was living in absolute filthy water and its growth was retarded by the wretched living conditions and not by being stubborn or clever.

That said, I have definitely noticed much higher growth rates from fish in larger tanks as compared to smaller ones. Is there something there? I still kind of doubt it, because then I go back to my discus-rearing days.. When they were in a 3 gallon tank I did a 50% water change every other day. They grew like stink. Once they were big enough I moved them to a 20 gallon and did maybe 25% every week to ten days. Growth rate slowed down dramatically.

Nay, I think water quality is the real culprit as far as growth goes. A large (read: will get large) fish in a smaller tank isn't guaranteed to be in sordid condition, but I'd bet money that the water is going to be noticeably poorer than the same fish in a larger tank.

Corey
02-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Getting back to the original post, try getting a wave action going in the tank, your tang will love it and will come out to play in the currents. Same thing happened to me, my YT never came out of hiding until I started running a SQUID and wave bar.Now he never hides.

Doug
02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Bla Bla Bla . . . not to offend anyone but my post CLEARLY says "I THINK!" . . . :drinking: . . . thanks for coming out :evil:

I,m sorry some posts may have poked fun. Mine was dead serious, for the tangs sake but mostly for other new aquarists than read one of the many threads like this, on the various boards and think it will work fine because someone else does it.

Its just advice, based on experience.

Beverly
02-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Tang Police Officer Arrested:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04fool/news.htm

Skimmerking
02-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Now tha is funny at heck ,,Imagine doing that , i guess that the guy who got stuffed will never put a larger fish in to a smaller tank again.

mike

Willow
02-23-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www.mayberryhq.com/images/otis/tangnazi.jpg

BCOrchidGuy
02-23-2005, 08:07 PM
LOL

Samw
02-24-2005, 08:01 AM
For what its worth, I bought a Hippo Tang in early 2002 that was about 1" long and I sold it slightly over a year later when it reached 4" long (That's an increase of 16x in body area in about a year)

I bought another 1" baby Hippo Tang on May 18th, 2003 and I sold it on Jan 7, 2005 (20 months later) when it was again 4" long (16 times bigger).

My tank is 38G. I wouldn't personally keep a fish beyond 4" in a tank that size. Fortunately, my nitrates was close to 0. At one point, I had 2 large fish over 4" (1 Tang, and 1 something else) in there and my nitrates was over 75. After I gave the largest one to EmilyB, I was able to control my nitrates.

Here's a comparison. The large Tang in the first pic started off the same size, as the little Tang in that pic. After I bought the little tang, I immediately sold the large Tang within days. As of today, I have sold the 2nd Tang as well. My tank is now Tangless and looks really bare. :frown: To me, it seems true that healthy Tangs grow very fast and my small tank did not prevent mine from growing fast.

May 19th, 2003 - Large Tang in this pic had grown from 1" to 4" in a year or so. The baby Tang in the pic would eventually grow to 4" as well as seen below.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Fish/HippoTang/140-4096_img_std.jpg

Here is Tang number 2 (which was the baby Tang from above) 20 months later on Jan 7, 2005

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Fish/HippoTang2/img_7201_std.jpg

Interestingly, in this time frame, the fish were all healthy and thriving. However, all of the Acros from the first pic are no longer with me (They all died).