PDA

View Full Version : sick pyramid butterfly fish

AquaAddict
02-08-2018, 03:22 AM
It has a slighlty ragged tail and a couple of white spots (1 on tail and 1 on dorsal fin) that won't go away after two weeks of Furan 2. It had a white mouth but that has disappeared.

I tried ParaGuard today and the fish turned black after a few hours. Can I lower the dose and still get rid of those two white spots and get that tail growing back? I am thinking it might be fungus instead of a bacterial infection.

AquaAddict

Myka
02-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Pics? The white spots on the fins could be Lymphocystis which is a virus, and thus not treatable. Butterflies are prone to flukes, have you done two consecutive PraziPro treatments yet?

AquaAddict
02-09-2018, 04:27 AM
Sorry Myka, I can't seem to upload pic onto CanReef. I haven't done a PraziPro treatment so I guess I could try that next.

I discovered the black colouring was due to catching them 'sleeping' when I turned on the light quickly. They turn white again after a few minutes.

AquaAddict

albert_dao
02-09-2018, 05:25 AM
Try www.imgur.com for pics and hotlink it (will be easy and obvious once you try it out).

Myka
02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Yes the black color is a stress or sleeping color for them. As Albert says, try an external photo host. I use Flickr.

AquaAddict
02-12-2018, 03:01 AM
Myka and Albert, thanks for taking the time to help me.

I ended up trying some Paraguard that I had on hand. Spots are gone. So now I am waiting for the tail fin to heal a bit more before I put it back in the tank.

AquaAddict