PDA

View Full Version : sick pyramid butterfly fish

AquaAddict
02-08-2018, 03:22 AM
It has a slighlty ragged tail and a couple of white spots (1 on tail and 1 on dorsal fin) that won't go away after two weeks of Furan 2. It had a white mouth but that has disappeared.

I tried ParaGuard today and the fish turned black after a few hours. Can I lower the dose and still get rid of those two white spots and get that tail growing back? I am thinking it might be fungus instead of a bacterial infection.

AquaAddict

Myka
02-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Pics? The white spots on the fins could be Lymphocystis which is a virus, and thus not treatable. Butterflies are prone to flukes, have you done two consecutive PraziPro treatments yet?

AquaAddict
02-09-2018, 04:27 AM
Sorry Myka, I can't seem to upload pic onto CanReef. I haven't done a PraziPro treatment so I guess I could try that next.

I discovered the black colouring was due to catching them 'sleeping' when I turned on the light quickly. They turn white again after a few minutes.

AquaAddict

albert_dao
02-09-2018, 05:25 AM
Try www.imgur.com for pics and hotlink it (will be easy and obvious once you try it out).

Myka
02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Yes the black color is a stress or sleeping color for them. As Albert says, try an external photo host. I use Flickr.

AquaAddict
02-12-2018, 03:01 AM
Myka and Albert, thanks for taking the time to help me.

I ended up trying some Paraguard that I had on hand. Spots are gone. So now I am waiting for the tail fin to heal a bit more before I put it back in the tank.

AquaAddict

scilover
06-16-2020, 09:37 AM
It could be lymphocystis because your fish has white spots. It’s quite common with butterfly fish. It's nothing serious. It will disappear on its own in time. Just make sure to quarantine any new fishes coming into your tank for 1-2 weeks to check for lymphocystis.

hillegom
06-16-2020, 03:25 PM
You are answering an old post form 2018

Ryancw
06-17-2020, 12:01 AM
You are answering an old post form 2018

Welcome to 2020- where someone can no longer learn from another persons past experience because individuals are no longer able to contribute to an old topic with a constructive post that may actually help someone some day.

well, you can.... but it makes people uncomfortable:wink:

hillegom
06-17-2020, 12:37 AM
Whatever
This was resolved in post #6

gregzz4
06-17-2020, 05:41 AM
C'mon gentlemen, it is what it is.
Not everyone notices the date on old threads, and some new members get very excited to answer a question.

'tis not the end of the world when old threads are brought back to life - especially when right now there are mostly for sale threads and no actual info being spread.

Maybe it would be different if we had hundreds of daily posts